Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Get back the 10 days of Spotify subscription that I lost and inability to use Gift cards for Family

Solved!

Get back the 10 days of Spotify subscription that I lost and inability to use Gift cards for Family

Plan

Recently upgraded from Premium to Premium for Family

Country

US

Problem

After upgrading from Premium to Premium for Family, my payment renewal date changed to 12-15-18. My original renewal date was 12-25-18. As a result, I lost 10 days of subscription that I already paid for. Will I get credited the pro-rated amount ($3.33) for the 10 days for a $9.99 per month Premium subscription that is lost? Kinda feels like you are stealing money from me here.

Also...why can't you use Spotify gift cards with Premium for Family service? This seems very limiting and offputting for clients. I received a $60 Spotify Premium Service gift card for my birthday. I was originally a Premium service client and decided to upgrade to the Family plan and use the gift card I had received. Little do I know, the gift card can't be used with the Family plan and is now basically worthless to me unless I cancel my Family plan and then use my gift card for the Premium only service. Doesn't this advertise to your users, "Do not get the Family subscription because you can't use gift cards for it."

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @papajp,

Welcome to the community!

If you start a Premium for Family plan as the owner, but you already have Premium, your payment date will likely be a few days earlier than it had been. This is because of the difference between the price of Premium for Family and the regular Premium subscription you were on.

While Spotify gift cards are currently not redeemable for Premium for Family, as a workaround, you could cancel your current Premium for Family subscription, use the gift card to subscribe to regular Premium once your account reverts to the free service, and then immediately resubscribe to Premium for Family.

The system will convert your remaining Premium subscription time from the gift card to Premium for Family. This means that your renewal date will be brought forward, and you won't be charged again until it runs out.

You might also be interested in adding your +VOTE for this idea. For more information, I'd recommend taking a look at the gift cards support article.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @papajp,

Welcome to the community!

If you start a Premium for Family plan as the owner, but you already have Premium, your payment date will likely be a few days earlier than it had been. This is because of the difference between the price of Premium for Family and the regular Premium subscription you were on.

While Spotify gift cards are currently not redeemable for Premium for Family, as a workaround, you could cancel your current Premium for Family subscription, use the gift card to subscribe to regular Premium once your account reverts to the free service, and then immediately resubscribe to Premium for Family.

The system will convert your remaining Premium subscription time from the gift card to Premium for Family. This means that your renewal date will be brought forward, and you won't be charged again until it runs out.

You might also be interested in adding your +VOTE for this idea. For more information, I'd recommend taking a look at the gift cards support article.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy listening 🙂

NoahSpotify Star

Oh, I understand now.  Since the switch to the Premium for Family subscription was immediate, my renewal date moved up 10 days to cover the extra cost for the Family subscription from now until my previous renewal date of 12-25-18.

Thanks for the tip on the gift card!  After upgrading to the Premium for Family subscription, I cancelled the Premium for Family subscription, which set it to expire on 12-15-18, but kept it active currently.  I then was able to successfully apply my gift card successfully and have my Premium for Family subscription all set up.

Hey @papajp,

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out! If you need a hand with anything else, just give me a shout 🙂

spotify:user:spotify:playlist:2PXdUld4Ueio2pHcB6sM8j:small

NoahSpotify Star

Suggested posts