Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gift Card payment for Family subscription

Gift Card payment for Family subscription

Dear Mr or Mrs Spotify

I originally found your service expensive when you add the monthly payments for a period of one year for one person but when I saw the family premium offer I decided to go for it. I really enjoy listening advertisement free and especially the offline services. Unfortunately thru no fault of Spotify my credit card was fraudently abused and I have been forced to block and cancel my credit card. I am still awaiting some type of report dealing with what actually happen and reimbursement of my stolen funds. As you can imagine I has shaken my faith in using any type of credit card online and I now I have reduced the use and need for online credit card transactions to a very minimum.

but because I love your service so much I unwittingly bought a spotify gift card from a local shop thinking that I could use this method to continue paying for my spotify subscription only to find out while trying to this is not possible.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong and have misread your instructions but if this is correct then I simply do not understand the logic in this type of regulation.

This is your own service and you recieve funds in advance. It almost seems as if you are punishing people who prefer not to go into any type of debt and want to pay for services in advance and you want to stimulate and reward people who choose to use credit cards going into debt. I am convinced there is still a large community of simple music lovers that would gladly pay for your services once they fully discover its potential, but hold back due to the need and use of a credit card online. You reduce your own market of potential customers with these type of rules.

Unfortunately I have also had bad experiences with the alternative "Paypal service" due to their ever increasing security measures resulting in regular freezing of my account activity and constant, repeated requesting of my credit card details inorder to reactivate the account, the very thing that I wanted to avoid doing in the first place when I joined paypal.

I can't even get the credit I just bought onto  my account. With my very limited knowledge of Spotify the only that I knew that you had to pay for was Premium and Family subscriptions, so what what can you actually use this gift card for?.

Looking forward to a "You got it all wrong and you can pay with your gift card" type of answer. 

Greetings

4 Replies

Hey @blackspark00,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community.

Gift Cards can be used to upgrade your account to Premium. They unfortunately cannot be used for Premium for Family plans at the moment.

• Spotify currently only allows recurring payment methods for the Premium for Family plan.
  • Gift/e-cards are valid for 12 months from date of purchase, and are not redeemable in conjunction with other discounts or promotions, such as the Premium for Family, student discount, or trial offers. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I was recently given a giftcard and am already a spotify premium customer. This is ridiculous that I can't use it towards payment. I'm going to have to cancel my premium and then upgrade. Ridiculous rule! Makes me pretty annoyed.

Hey @AlanaChchNZ,

No need to cancel your subscription, you can just redeem it at https://spotify.com/redeem 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

As regarding redeeming gift card, well mine didn't work and a think it will only work once I am a free user again. So I think the previous person was right that said you have to cancel your premium account and then upgrade again.

Suggested posts