Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Home Mini Offer says ineligible, but I meet all criteria

Google Home Mini Offer says ineligible, but I meet all criteria

Plan

Premium Family

USA

Device

Google Pixel 3 XL
Macbook Pro

Operating System

Android 10, iOS

My Question or Issue

I meet all of the following criteria but it says I'm inelligible.

Here are some reasons why your account might not be eligible:

• You subscribe to Spotify Premium through a partner. - I subscribe directly through spotify
  • You don’t currently have an eligible Spotify Premium account. - I pay via recurring payment via Paypal, 14.99 + tax
  • You don’t have a US Spotify Premium account. - I have a US Premium Family Account and am clicking the following link
  • You’ve already redeemed a Google Home Mini through a previous Spotify offer. - I have not
44 Replies

Yep. I meet all criteria, no previous orders (no orders at all), and I don't even have a place to try to get a mini. When I go to the Premium page, it offers me all of the premium accounts....um...that's what I have....

"We don't have any additional info on this right now" is what they are trained to say when they don't know why something isn't working, and they don't know how to fix it.

I think this is a classic case of tech support staff assuming that their computer systems can never be wrong, and can never make a mistake. The giant super-powerful computers that run Spotify say you are ineligible, and those computers are never wrong. So you must be ineligible. But since you clearly meet all the criteria that they can see, then... the reason you are ineligible must be the one criteria that they cannot see: It must be the case that you already redeemed a Google promotion from Spotify. There's no other rational explanation. So that must be it.

Let's hope these guys never become commercial airline pilots. Because this is the kind of flawed thinking that gets 250 people killed when you are flying an aircraft.

In this environment, the impact is not as serious. It just gets a lot of very loyal subscribers **bleep** out of the current promotion.

A couple years ago, I went into a gift shop that had a postal service counter at the back. I requested three postcard stamps. For those under age 30, a postcard is something you send by US mail that usually has a photo on it, like a picture of the place where you are on vacation. You put your friend's address on the other side, and put a stamp on it. And drop it in a mailbox. The cost of mailing a postcard is less than the cost of mailing a  regular first class letter. For those under age 25, a letter is something that... ok, never mind.

Postcard stamps are 35 cents each, and I requested three. The clerk hit a few keys on the cash register, and said, "$1.50." And I said, "How much are postcard stamps?" And she said, "35 cents each." And I said, "Okay, but 35 times three is not $1.50."

And she looked at the screen on the cash register, and with a smile, she said, "Yes it is."

The computer can never be wrong. If Spotify's computer says you are ineligible, then you must be ineligible, and they just have to figure out why. That's how these people think. And it's very dangerous.

Let's hope these guys never sit on a jury, for God's sake. I mean, let's use the same logic... if the guy got arrested, then he must be guilty, right? Because the police had a warrant in their computer system, and the computers are never wrong. We just have to figure out how the prosecutor's evidence proves that he's guilty... That's our job as jurors, right? We know the information in the computer is correct...

The clerk finally figured out that 35 cents times three is not $1.50. The computer in the cash register was programmed wrong, and it thought that postcard stamps were 50 cents each.

But the computers used by Spotify are never wrong.

So you must be ineligible. Sorry, Dude.

Same issue here, meet all criteria in terms & conditions, google store order history empty and I hadn't even heard about the promotion last year so how could I possibly have applied. Obviously they have no way of knowing that, but it's still frustrating. More than anything it's clear they don't particularly care for helping existing subscribers as they expect you'll still pay next month's bill anyway, their main concern is pulling in new subscribers with the promotion.

Same issue here. Was even told by support that I had claimed an offer like this before as well, but hadn't ever heard of such a thing until this week.

Trying to contact Google store support now too but it seems like a dead end. 

I have the exact same problem.
I contacted customer service and they told me I've done the offer before and proceeded to send me a link to a BLANK order history.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 10.58.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 10.58.55 AM.png

I too received the "not eligible" message.  I contacted support and was told it looked like my account had previously been "compromised" when they had the last Google Home Mini promo and someone else claimed.  I told them this wasn't me and was told they would look into it and someone would contact me (nobody has).  Today, I went to login and was told my password wasn't valid and needed to be reset.  Still not eligible for the offer though.  Checked order history via Google and nothing.  No orders now or ever....

The speaker isn't a huge deal to me but now, knowing my account had been compromised, is a really big deal.  From the sounds of things,  Spotify may have had a rather large, previously unreported, data breach.  Now THAT concerns me.  Especially since no notificaiton was ever received.  

You could be on to something here. My account had previously been compromised too - I noticed the email address had changed a while back and contacted Spotify. They had me verify information and reset my email and password. Maybe there was a breach during the last promotion that hackers exploited to gain April's promotion.

I also had this issue a few months back, my email had been changed to a very similar one that I hadn't requested. Changed it back and reset my password and chalked it up to some type of system error but with so many similar stories an unreported data breach seems rather plausible.

jesus christ they just got back to me and simply copy+pasted the instructions to redeem, and didn't change anything with my account. how lazy

I think this might be a very real issue. My account was compromised last November and my plan switched to the Premium Family - the only way I noticed anything happening.

I'm not so much worried about the Home Mini now, I'm just worried what other effects this could have on my account down the line. Am I just ineligible for any upcoming offers at this point? 

Support doesn't seem too keen on helping either. I feel like both Google and Spotify are giving me the run around.

Oh well.

I just received an email from customer support and, shockingly, they apologized and sent me a new code/link to redeem.  I just tried it and it worked.  It initially showed $49 options but, when I selected, added to cart and proceeded to checkout, it showed the promo of -$49 with a total of $0.00.  Not sure what changed but obviously they realized I had never redeemed the offer previously.  

Will wait to see if I actually recieve it and also keep a close eye on my account going forward.  Best of luck to all and I hope everyone is able to redeem the offer!

The same thing happened to me. Spotify just sent me the new promo code. Maybe a data breach was the cause. Also, I had to re-click the promo link after I entered my shipping info to get the discount. If anyone else gets this promo, make sure the order confirmation page shows the -$49 discount before you confim the purchase!

Just wanted to update this as well: Spotify also sent me a new promo link via email in response to my support ticket.

Was worried at first - all colors said out of stock - but kept on refreshing until one showed up.

Good luck redeeming, everyone, and thanks everyone in this thread for the shared experiences and advice.

If that is true that you have to be the Primary account holder then why isn't that number 5 on the list of possible reasons it isn't working!!!!!!!

I'm also having this same issue. I meet the criteria but it's saying I'm ineligible..  So frustrating

its doing this to me too, but I paid for my subscription months ago with gift cards. which here

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/subscription_information/free-google-home-mini-o...

it says that makes you ineligible. so that's dumb.

Hey all! I had the same problem and contacted Spotify customer support. For me, it ended up being an easy fix: just try opening the link in an incognito window! For some weird reason, it totally worked. Hope this helps most of you!

I'm getting the exact same error with the same stated reasons, none of which apply to me. Family plan, in the US, paid up to date with a recurring charge directly from Spotify, never redeemed an offer like this before.

I was also getting this error when trying to redeem it by following the links on the offer web page (https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/subscription_options/free-google-home-mini-offer...), but once I located the offer email in my inbox and clicked on that link, it worked.

Hey @khollis7 - help's here!

Could you let us know if you're currently on a three-month Premium trial?

If so, you'll need to forfeit the trial (cancel subscription here) and revert to free before redeeming the GHM offer.

Keep us posted 🙂

Suggested posts