Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hesitant switching to duo

Hesitant switching to duo

I currently share my premium account with my wife. We've both created our own playlists. Obviously only one of us can be listening to music at one time. I'd like to switch to Duo however it's not clear to me how my wife would get access to the playlists she's already created. I know they won't be lost because they will still be under my account as the account manager. But how does she get her playlists on her unique login/account? When she logs in, does she see the same thing as I do? All the playlists and things we've created? If not how do we get her playlists on her account? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

Hi @Driftm3,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

With the Premium Duo plan, each of the two members of the plan has their own account with their own saved music, playlists, and recommendations. Thus, you don’t need to do anything for your wife to keep her playlists; and each member of the plan will still see their own saved music, playlists, and recommendations upon logging in.

Also, since each member of the plan has their own account, both Spotify users can listen to music at the same time by logging into their account on their chosen device.

If you’d like to start a Duo plan, you or your wife can click here to subscribe to Premium Duo; and then the owner of the subscription can follow the steps listed here to invite the other member.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for the response but I'm still a little unclear about things. Can you run me through a scenario? For example. Let's say I switch to the duo plan. When I log in, everything will look pretty much as it always has. I'll see all the playlists both myself and my wife have created previously? When my wife goes to log into her account for the first time, what will she see? Will it be a blank canvas so to speak where she has to start from scratch recreating all her playlists again? Or will she see all the same stuff as me? And if she or I create a new playlist, will we both see that list on our own accounts or will it only show up for who created it on their own account?

Hi @Driftm3,

Thanks for your reply! I would be glad to run through a scenario; these are great questions.

If you switch to the Premium Duo plan, you are right that everything will look the same as usual for you; your saved music, playlists, and recommendations shouldn’t be affected by your subscription plan. The only difference in terms of what you see on the app is Duo Mix, a playlist that Spotify creates containing genres, artists, and songs that each member of the Premium Duo plan have played on their own, and it updates the more you play. So, Your Library in your new Spotify account will still display the playlists that you created and that your wife created on your account before switching to Premium Duo.

Since your wife will need to create a new Spotify account in order to be invited to the Premium Duo plan that you start, she won’t be able to find the playlists that you created or that she created from your account upon first logging in to the app. If your wife would like to save these playlists to her library instead of starting from scratch to recreate them, I would recommend following the steps in this Spotify Answer regarding sharing playlists from one account to another (you can ignore the last part, “Here’s how you can close your old account,” since the article was originally written for the purpose of Spotify users creating a new account for themselves to replace their current one).

After switching to Premium Duo, if your wife or you create a new playlist, it will only show up for the individual who created it on their own account. However, you can always follow the instructions in this Spotify Answer to share a new playlist created from one account with the other account in your Premium Duo plan.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts