Premium

Country

Uk

Device

Samsung S10+

Operating System

Android 

My Question or Issue

I keep getting annoying popups when I open the app, usually for podcast or new music from someone I don't even listen too.

How do I get these to stop? They're seriously annoying. If I wanted to listen to this stuff Id do it myself, I don't need or want these stupid recommendations. Pretty sure this technically falls under the definition of an advert? Bit misleading to say premium has no ads when all you are doing is swapping them with your own. This is the same reason I left deezer years ago and now Spotify is doing the same. 

How do I turn these off? Had a look in settings but couldn't see anything. Thanks. 

Screenshot_20201015-023422_Spotify.jpg
25 Replies

Hey @M523, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

These pop-ups are not advertisements like the ones that people on Spotify Free get, but content that's only relevant to your music taste. Both Free and Premium subscribers can receive these.

Sponsored recommendations can help you find new music from artists that you love. They'll only come up for artists that you follow or listens to a lot, and only when you first navigate to Home so they don’t interrupt the listening experience.

In your case, if you would like to stop these from showing, click Learn more the next time you receive such a notification. From there, you can stop them showing for the artist you received the notification from, or stop them from showing altogether. 

I hope this helps!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same "issue" and it is obviously not a bug, but a way to force something on paid users. I disabled every possible option for notifications and even though keep seeing that stuff.

It is completely annoying, and as a paying subscriber for YEARS I've been considering switching to a competitor service just for this reason, which is a shame for Spotify.

Please Spotify, stop putting these popups. You are not convincing me (and other Premium subscribers) to click on these popups and may end up loosing paying subscribers.

Hey @davidrc-ec,

Thanks for posting here in the Community 🙂

We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give it a go and submit your idea with these steps. That way other users can support it. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.   

Here you can find more information about how your feedback reaches Spotify.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Oh its not an ad. Great now I really like it.  

I pay for a premium family plan. Stop the totally-not-ad modals! 

Hi there @noeleee,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Spotify hides the setting to turn off popups in a link to "Learn More" instead of in the Spotify Settings, where most people would look? Whoever made that UX decision should be fired, and should look for a job better suited for a person of that character, such as a used car salesman, politician, or journalist. This kind of shady tactic makes savvy users consider switching to other streaming service.

"We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to."

That's a condescending way to put it. Take some responsibility.

Are you serious.  I empathize with your bored product team and I can see how this happened...

<harp music plays as we're transported back to 2016/>

We should begin using the power of our platform for the important work of civic engagement

No one was brave enough to say 

The power of our platform is finding and playing a variety of music, unencumbered by ads or ad-like in app promotions.  

Spotify - STOP with this and if you can't, at the very least please include a "allow virtue signaling" checkbox.

00d36678fd1a266e48ef776d4a6b35ff923aca89-1.jpg

This answer is not helpful! I’ve turned off all notifications and get popups telling me that I can turn on notifications?!? It puts a barrier between me and what I want to listen to. Until I acknowledge what I already know, I can’t listen to anything. CUT IT OUT! If you must nag me with popups, do it AFTER what I want to listen to starts playing. Still not great, but better than current state.

Yeah, recently Spotify has started pestering me with those modal popups "reminding" me that I can enable notifications as well.

Hey Spotify! I know I can change my notification settings and you know this too because you can tell that I've made the choice to disable all notifications so please just don't show me a bunch of unwanted modal popups telling me I can enable a setting you already know I've chosen to disable!

**bleep**ing**bleep**.  I pay so I don't have to see anything but what I want.  If I wanted your suggestions, I'd ask.

How do i get to the "learn more" link once I've dismissed it?  Oh, right.  I can't.  

I'm one more popup away from dropping $5k to buy every single song I like on CD and ripping it to mp3 my damn self rather than spend another $20/month to be this **bleep**ing annoyed.

And shut your mouth about "first world problems", Karen.  I pay for**bleep** and should get what I'm paying for.  

+1 to the above.  Premium users shouldn’t get ANY of these.  Whoever is in charge of product knows exactly what they’re doing and they don’t care.  Vote with your wallet and cancel your sub. 

Sponserd content is an advertisement. You moron

"Sponsored recommendations can help you find new music from artists that you love. They'll only come up for artists that you follow or listens to a lot, and only when you first navigate to Home so they don’t interrupt the listening experience."

As someone who listens to nothing but classic metal and horror podcasts, why does Spotify recommend the latest teen pop sensation and Joe Rogan every time I open the app?  The above claim by the Spotify rep. is disingenuous at best, and pure gaslighting at worst.

I know what I like. I know what I want. I'm a grown ass man and I don't need an algorithm to tube-feed me the Next Big Thing™.

If you bother to look at the attached screenshot in the original post, you can see that there is no "learn more" link. 

I am going to leave spotify. I just wanted to leave this here for posterity. There is no "learn more" link anywhere. Youre just lying. Your condescension and equivocation makes me want to vomit. Its not even about the popup. Its about the principle, and the followup. You are a soulless company that doesnt honour its agreements. I have yet to come across such a naked display of aggression in my life. You and others are truly radicalizing me. I am genuinely of the opinion that advertisers, marketers, and their ilk are paid to be net negatives for humanity. That simply isnt how an economic system should work. Economics should be about incentive structures that motivate the solving of problems, not the manufacturing of problems so that we can be sold the solution. I recommend in the strongest terms that we systematically stigmatize these professions and make it known that their conduct is unspeakable. Perhaps you think me dramatic, but many drops make a torrent. The principle of honouring ones promises is worth getting upset about. The manner in which they simply invented their own definition of advertisement and used it to justify everything is downright terrifying. It signals a postmodern erosion of the notion of a shared truth, or truth more generally. Truth is simply what those in power decide it is, in their eyes. There is literally nothing more despicable than those who litigate what the truth is, and then use it to enforce their agendas of power. Such people are the greatest villains that have ever graced the face of this earth. I am not saying what these specific employees did is on that level, but it is of the same type of attitude.

I'm just posting to say I absolutely hate it! I've tried as many others to deselect all notifications. Nothing helps. This seems like an ad to me - which I do not want as a premium member. How hard can it be for Spotify to make this into a setting?!

No spit!!  I’m even considering Apple Music!  It’s THAT BAD!  We PAY to NOT have ADVERTISING!!  I’ve had 75 years to hone my musical taste. I do not need your “suggestions“. 🤬

EXACTLY!!  It makes me irrationally angry that my screen gets blocked until I interact with a pop-up screen that I AM PAYING TO NOT HAVE TO SEE.  

100% rage-inducing.

Suggested posts