Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hulu can't authorize my account

Solved!

Hulu can't authorize my account

I am a student and am trying to sign up for the Hulu + Student Spotify subscription. I have been a student subscriber for a long time now, but when I try to activate my new Hulu account I get this error, "We’re having trouble authorizing your account with Spotify. Please contact Spotify support to help resolve this issue."

Thanks for your help.

62 Replies

how?

Tried it already. Still nothing.

Having the same issue. Everything was working fine until Spotify had me reverify my student status. After I did I started getting the "We’re having trouble authorizing your account with Spotify. Please contact Spotify support to help resolve this issue" message on Hulu.

Same Issue. Not sure how to potentially resolve issue other than posting it on here. 

Found a solution! Get on the support chat with Hulu. They will give you a free month until they have a permanent solution.

I'm getting the "We’re having trouble authorizing your account with Spotify" after re-verifying my student subscription as well.  I tried getting into a support chat with Hulu and had to wait for 10 minutes, then chat timed out because they're too busy.  Not very impressed with Hulu at this point.

Marked as solution

So I talked to Hulu support and they said that it's on Spotify's end and that they can't help. Thus, I talked to Spotify via their support Twitter (@spotifycares) and after a little back and forth with them & technical team troubleshooting for a few hours they were able to "fix" it.

The solution they came up with was to have support cancel and refund the student premium account reverting it back to a free account, wait an hour, then re-sign up for student premium, then reconnect Hulu.

It was clunky but it worked.

I am having the same problem and have already canceled (then re-activated) my subscription. This is getting very annoying since hulu was unable to help and spotify has no customer service! Anything else people have tried??

I had this same issue, and it's very easy to solve actually!!

Go to the contact spotify page, under customer service and support click contact us, technical issues, other, and then click the blue button at the bottom where it says "I still need help" you'll be redirected and type in your issue, you will then be connected with a spotify representative who can fix the problem on their end manually. 

They will have to cancel your subscription, refund you and then you'll have to sign up again. They were very helpful, supportive, and responded quickly. They may not have a phone number but they have online chat which is actually faster in my opinon.

So does support need to cancel it, or can I cancel it myself? 

Hi, I was having the "This field required" error also. It turns out that it is very finicky if you have signed in to hulu in the past. I was able to resolve the issue by opening an "Incognito Window" where it didn't have any login cookies saved for either site. I then logged in to Spotify, then went to my account to link to Hulu. This time, it gave me a small red link under my email address to sign in to my existing account. I clicked this, and was given a password field to fill out, then clicking the "yes, link my account" button worked just fine!

Hopefully this helps someone else with the same issue.

chatted with support and they said they're "scrambling" to get this fixed and know that it's impacted many people. spent an hour and half trying to get it fixed for my account but no luck - we cancelled/resubscribed/etc for a while, case was escalated to a senior resource, but still no luck. they suggested i let it "cool down" and try again in a month and comped my current month of spotify premium for students.

Same issue, however ive been student spotify user for a while now and it randomly switched to regular premium in Jan 2018 (still under my student email). Now i tried to switch back to student but have to wait till next month to see if it switch back will work. Just a glitch that stole 5 bucks and a month of hulu if you ask me

figured it out.

fundamentally, your email address associated with your spotify account has to be the exact same as your email address of your hulu account. if not, you'll get the error.

if you click on "go to hulu" from your spotify account in order to activate, make sure you're signing in with (or creating a new account) with the same email address that's associated with your spotify account.

Probably not everyone's experience but I just wanted to post my solution since I looked here for help. Maybe someone else will have the same issue. 

My student status expired before I could renew it, and I was charged 9.99 for regular premium spotify. Upon my status expiration, so did my hulu access, so I set to change my plan back to student so I could get hulu back. 

The problem was that hulu recognized my account as a regular account, not a student one. It only gave me access after a Spotify representative refunded my 9.99 plan and I resubscribed as a student. It appears I could have waited until the next billing date as well. Hope this helps. 

Did you try using a different browser? 

So in my case, I could not get my Hulu activated with Chrome but when I switched over to Safari it went passed the whole "This field is required." step with ease.

I don't have twitter how can I contact them? Because I just chated with Hulu and they told me the same thing.

I had the same issue, however customer support through live chat wasn'e able to help me. For some reason the "create account" button when trying to create a Hulu account with Spotofy premium (Student) was diasbled and it wouldn't let me click it. The person trying to help me via live chat couldn't solve the issue after canceling my spotofy premium account and asking me to create a new account with student spotify premium. The person suggested I contact Hulu directly. However, I didn't. 

I simply went on Hulu, created my "free tial" account using my STUDENT e-mail. Then I logged in to Spotify, went on my profile, clicked on account overview, then I clicked on activate Hulu account. Because I used the same student email for spotofy premium and hulu my accounts automatically linked together and now everything is solved. I hope this works!

This worked!!!! Thank you

Should I use my actual student email or the email associated with my Spotify account that has Student Premium?

Suggested posts