Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I'm being overcharged

I'm being overcharged

This is crap. I've been a loyal customer with spotify for about a year now and I always renew my Premium subscription each month. Originally I was under the impression that a month's subscription would cost me $9.99. For the past few months, when I went to renew my subscription it said it would charge me $12.99 and I thought - no big deal, I guess. Prices around bound to change. But just today I renewed my subscription and my credit card statement reflects that Spotify charged me $16.03. I'm not okay with this. I was never informed that my account would be charged this much, and I don't know why Spotify feels as if they can just sneak this overcharging right under their customer's noses. I realize it's only a few dollars, but these dollars add up, and I don't like to be taken advantage of. I want my $9.99 subscriptions back.
12 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

$16.03? That's a weird amount. $9.99 is the regular price and $12.99 is the price when you get via in app purchase. 

What does you're Spotify 'invoice' say about this?  Does it show that weird amount too? 

I think the best thing you can do is to get in touch with Spotify so they can sort this out for you. 

You may get in touch with Spotify via their Twitter page (@SpotifyCares), or by following this link to send an e-mail.
If you send an e-mail, please check your inbox (and spam box) to check for their automatic reply. Once you get it, please reply to it immediatly (even if it's from an no-reply e-mail addres) to make sure an Spotify employee will get back to you as soon as possible.

Also, it's possible they can't help you via Twitter as billing problems only get answered through email. 

SO just because I bought the app on my phone I will be charged extra every month????

That is correct, the in-app purchase costs 30% more than normal Spotify subscriptions due to the cut App Stores take.

For the cheapest subscription, always subscribe through spotify.com.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

How can i get my student price

@chrisrubioo 

Check out http://spotify.com/student to see if you are eligible.

If you have trouble, there is currently a glitch with the student discount page for some people. The website team is still trying to fix it.

I suggest you contact support so they can help you if you have any problems.

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, I signed up for the college discount premium account, but Spotify charges me $4.99 three times. Why are they charging me 3 times? I do not understand as to why I was charged so many times and would like to know how I can get my money back. Would I get a refund or get credited for the next 2 months? I am really frustrated about this!

Not only that I am overcharge from my agreed monthly payment of $9.99/month to $10.85 to $21.71 and again to $16.28 but also lost all my playlist! I cannot find a contact number of Spotify nor help in recovering the over charge payments and lost playlist! What's up Spotify? Your starting to be fishy!

You have charged my acocount 9 Times on the same day this month!!!!!! Why!?!?

I signed up for the student account a long time ago and it worked at first it was only charging me 5$, but I just checked my bank account and I've been charged 9.99 every month for a long time, I would like to know how to get my money back please

Spotify is a joke.. you spend hrs trying to get your money back after you are over charged for premium. Here's a better business practice for you. If you have exceptions to the 99c promotions why not list them. I think you prefer overcharging people and hope they give up chasing their money.

Hello, I signed up for the three months for £0.99 and when it ended I automatically became a premium member- Spotify took £9.99 out of my account. Within a day or so of this I entered my UNiDAYS login to receive a student discount; not only was I not refunded my £5 for the month, another £4.99 has been taken away. How do I get my money back as I cannot afford to pay £14.98 for this service?

I have been charged 4 times just this month one for 10.41 and 3 for9.99 on the 9th how do you get ahold of these people??? This is bull ... I had to go through this about a month ago but at that time I was on chat this time I can’t get anywhere... I was satisfied but now I want this cancelled can anyone help

Suggested posts