Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[India] Issue paying for monthly Premium for Students

Solved!

[India] Issue paying for monthly Premium for Students

Hey folks,

We have received reports from users in India who are trying to pay for a monthly Premium for Students subscription using a recurring payment method, but are receiving an error when trying to carry out the payment (see screenshot below).

Check out the status of the Ongoing Issue below for further instructions.

Also don't forget to click +VOTE if you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20190330-162QQQQ841.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Keep in mind that even if you've already used the card to pay for a different service, it's necessary to make sure that it meets these requirements so that you don't encounter any issues when subscribing.

If you're unsure about your card meeting any of these requirements, you can reach out to your bank for further info. 

Lastly, if everything is in order and you're still having issues, you can contact our Support team here and they'll be happy to take a deeper look at what might be causing the issue. 

Hope this info was helpful. 

Have a good one 🙂

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

45 Replies

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

India

Device

OnePlus 3

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

I don't get an option to pay through PayTM or BHIM UPI for 12 month subscription for student discount.  Whereas 1 month subscription can be paid through the above mentioned payment methods.  Kindly help.

Hey @kubersood,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

Unfortunately, not all payment methods are available for all plans/offers. If you don't see the payment method that you'd like to use on the payment page, then it's currently not available.

Hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I'm facing the same issue being a debit cardholder. I hope, they'll come up with other options like PayPal or debit cards for monthly subscription, instead of just credit cards.

Hi. 

I just wanted to know whether the student discount plan for a year will be available by paying through paytm in the future? 

Not sure though. For now, the only available option is prepaid plan using Paytm, which you have to explicitly do after every month.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

As we investigate this, could you leave the following information in the comments section below:

• Subscription (monthly or PAYG)
  • Country which your Spotify account is set to
  • Recurring payment method you are using?

Once we have that info, we will pass it on to our tech team, who will further look into this.

Thanks!

@Peter 

Subscription: Monthly

Payment Method: International Debit Card (HDFC Bank)

Note that this issue is not only for Premium for Student. It happens for the regular Spotify Premium too.

Subscription: Monthly
Recurring payment method: Visa International chip card.
Issuing bank: Axis bank (Sector: Private)

@Peter I may have some information that I have to pass on to you, so that you "may" narrow your search on a possible conflict with processing payments from Indian banks. This issue, however, may be limited to debit cards that are eligible for international transactions.  

Subscription: Monthly

Recurring Payment Method: Visa Platinum Debit Card

Issuing Bank: State Bank Of India(SBI)

Hey, @Peter When, will the debited Rs. 59 be reflected back to my account? Please, make this happen ASAP before i file a cmplaint against you with my bank. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us. We have passed this on to our tech team, who are looking into it.

In the meantime, could you leave the following information in the comments section below:

• Premium for Students subscription (monthly or PAYG)
  • Country which your Spotify account is set to
  • Recurring payment method you are using
  • Issuing bank?

Also, don't forget to click +VOTE if you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks! We will let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Have you already asked your bank if the charge appears as pending? To find out more about pending charges, just check out this support article.

If the bank has confirmed that this is not a pending charge, and the money has been deducted from your account, then the best thing to do is to reach out to our Customer Support team here. They will be able to take a look backstage and see the recent payments on your account.

Hope that helps! Let us know how you get on.

Subscription: Monthly

Recurring Payment Method: Master Card

Issuing Bank: Punjab National Bank (PNB) (Local)

Already contacted support for the deducted Rs. 59, was told that it's already processes from spotify's end. Will wait for about 5 business days so that the bank can credit the money to my account, will contact the bank if it doesn't. 

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

India

Device

Xiaomi Mi A2

Operating System

Android Pie

My Question or Issue

So I tried the payment for student subscription. Previously I payed using my paytm account. This time I used my debit card...but it showed some error message like "payment failed" and "try different card". So I closed the tab. But then I got the message from bank saying Rs. 59 has been withdrawn from your account & I don't get the premium features. This is totally ridiculous and unfair. Hope someone can find a solution.

Screenshot_20190413-201229.png

Hi @sayan313, thanks for writing!

Did Spotify verify your student I.D.? Your student status is verified through a third-party service called SheerID. For more information, including details of the documentation you need to verify your student status, check out their student support page

If you have already been verified, I suggest you take a look at your account status through the link bellow:

https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/

Let me know if it shows as Free or Premium so we can find out what's going on 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star

It shows as Free account.

And they did verify my student account. Like I said I was using premium features as a student through paytm before....this happened when I switched to debit card.

Ok @sayan313,

In this case please follow this guide to finding any other accounts you might have subscribed to Premium and let me know how it goes.

BittencourtSpotify Star

Also, if you only have one account, please double check if debit card is a valid payment option in your country.

BittencourtSpotify Star

I only have one account & it says that debit card is a valid payment method.

Suggested posts