Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library full but I only have 9250 songs

Library full but I only have 9250 songs

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I get an error when I want to add songs to my library. I'm aware of the 10.000 song limit and I'm fine with that.

But it looks like I have only 9250 songs. How do I know? If I use windows desktop version of spotify I go to songs, ctrl-a, export, I get a text file with 9250 lines.

In my android app, I go to library, there's a playlist created by spotify called "songs you like", it includes 9250 songs.

Why do I get a message "library full" when  I only have 9250 songs?

Thanks.

15 Replies

Hey @Rene01.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We think this is because you have some saved albums, since the individual songs in each of your saved albums also contribute to the overall number of songs saved, even if you have some of these songs saved in your Liked Songs playlist already.

Could you have a look and see if removing a few albums does the trick? If so, then we suggest you either remove any albums you don't want to have saved in their entirety, or else you remove any duplicate songs you have in your Liked Songs playlist which are alread in the albums you have saved.

Keep us posted 😉

Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer.

Spotify changed the way the library works recently. In the past you could save items to your library ("Add to library"). Now it looks like it's called "liked songs". In the past also when I added an album to my library (by pushing the save button for the album), all the songs were added automatically. Now it lookes like, liked albums is separated from liked songs. So I can like an album but the songs themselves are not liked. Also the other way around. I can like all the songs of the album but I can choose to not like the album it self.

Back to how 10.000 songs in my library are counted. It looks like all my liked items are taken into account when Spotiy counts the number of songs in my library. So if I have 9.250 liked songs and 750 liked albums, Spotify will tell me the library is full. So library full doesn't mean 10.000 songs but 10.000 items (including album likes). This is a bit confusion for me because what I read about the 10.000 limit, it looked like the 10.000 limit is about songs only in your library.

Regards,

René

Hey there @Rene01,

Thanks for getting back in touch, this sounds about right!

For now, you can free up space by unliking songs/albums or moving them to a playlist.

If you'd like for the maximum of 10.000 items in Your Library to be lifted or changed to a higher number, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback in a comment in support of this idea.

There's also some additional information regarding this on the status of that idea that you can check out as well.

We'd also recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer for info on how ideas get implemented or your feedback reaches Spotify.

Hope this helps! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi,

Thanks for your answer but this is not really an answer to my question. I only have 9250 songs and I still get a library full message.

Thanks,

René

Hey rene, i just wanted to give you a shout out because i am having the SAME ISSUE. I have 8,939 "liked songs" and im irate because if i save an album it's pointless because it's not saving THE SONGS. Why in the world would they base a 10,000 "limit " like it makes zero sense, what "items" are contributing to my "limit" like seriously? An album with 10 songs adds to my "limit" but doesn't even add to my "liked" songs!? If that is the case it should be counted as one item. I'm encountering many issues with spotify and with PREMIUM, i might as well flush my money down the freaking toilet because the stupid app doesn't work properly, falsely displaying information regarding saved artists/tracks/albums ontop of actually having glitches. This is some really ridiculous stuff, and on that note do you know how to get in contact with spotify support? I can't seem to find it anywhere? Any help would be appreciated, i would say i hope something gets worked out but i fear it's only going to get worse considering their history has shown that is the case this far..

Hi, 

I'm really happy with spotify so I don't share your frustration.

They recently changed their concept. First there was a concept called my library. You could add songs and albums to your library. The maximum number of songs was 10.000. They made this choice I think because only then they could provide efficient search within your library (on song, album or artist). Users did request to add more songs but spotify did investigate how much members want this feature, this was only 1%.

So they changed the concept, they don't use the concept anymore of library but they use favourite songs now. It looks like this change make thing a bit fuzzy. I think it also depend on what app you use: windows, mac, iOS, web, android.

An example of the change. In the past when I added an album to my library, all the songs were also added. But in the new concept you have to like the album and then all the songs, or use menu shortcuts like "like all songs from album".

I think you can't get spotify support directly, they use the community for this, which I like. I suppose Spotify engineers also check the forums.

I think you only can get direct spotify support when you have problems with your account or payments.

For me the only question is how the 10.000 limit is calculated. I think it's the total of likes songs and albums and they should change it to liked songs only in my opinion.

Hey rene, so i finally found away to contact spotify support directly and i ended up talking with support for an hour and a half and basically didn't get anything accomplished. The answer to your question about the "liked songs " i was told that the remaining 750 liked song spaces you are lacking are actually filled so in theory you are full(i don't have any evidence to prove that you are at your 10k max nor evidence i actually do have 10k songs) are all unavailable songs you have saved meaning each song does go towards this limit along with new album saves as well even though its one album it's counting all the songs included in that album as a part of your total 10k limit. Which sounds ridiculous to have 750+songs taking up space that are unavailable so im still confused there. But that was the answer i was given. I have around 1,000 songs i can't listen to that are taking up space. And in order to remove them i have to go through my entire library and individually look through all of my music and remove the unavailable songs one by one since there isn't any filter available to help do that. So needless to say im really frustrated at this point but yea im still confused but hopefully that answer will help you out some. 

Hi Dan,

Thanks the effort and bringing it back.

What I don't understand is your comment about "saved" songs. In the past, before they moved to the "like" concept, you could save songs, which meant adding songs to your library. But when they moved to the "likes" concept all the saved songs have become liked songs automatically and you can't save songs anymore, only like songs. You can save albums (and you can't like them), I think they count a saved album as I like also

So I think I have 7250 liked songs and 750 save albums which they count as "like" also, then it becomes 10.000.

I use android by the way, the experience could differ on other platforms.

How did you contact support directly by the way?

Regards,

René

Yea sorry when i say "saved songs" i mean "liked songs" still stuck in the old ways. Here ya go i hope you get better help than i did

Contact Customer Support - Spotify - Spotify
https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Ok,

For me it's like this. Say I start all over again, so 0 likes. Say there is an album with 10 songs. I can save the album, now I have 1 like. Then I like all the songs on the album, then I have 11 likes/favorites.

I can also undo the save of the album, then I will have 10 favourites.

I think it works like this.

But I think you state that it works differently. You say that if you start with 0 and save the album, all the songs will be added to favorites and you will end up with 11 favorites. Correct?

What platform are you using? I use windows desktop and android.

Regards,

René

I'm using an android, and from my understanding from what the tech support guy said was that if i just liked an album as a whole (not individually liking each song) with 10 songs that those 10 songs are counted as a part of the 10,000 song limit. Even though when you like that album with 10 songs,you those 10 songs don't get added to your "liked songs" playlist but it still counts those 10 songs into the 10,000 limit. Liking an album is not considered as one item it is considered as however many songs are on that album. Unlike how it was previously, saving an album also saved all the songs to your "saved" playlist. Sorry if im confusing, it's hard to explain considering i still don't fully understand it. Did that link help any to get you to customer support?

Ok, I think I understand what you mean.

In the past when you saved an album all the songs were also saved to your library. For me that was fine except when an album included all kind of out takes or live versions, I then removed those song from my library to free space. So I only added 10 songs of an album for example while the full album included 20 songs. What you are saying now (or actually spotify support) is that it is counted as 20 when calculating the 10.000 limit. If so, then their calculation is wrong and should be fixed. But probably this won't be high on their priority list. 

A lot of people are complaining about the new concept and it looks like they don't care.

On the one hand I do understand their point. I think their mission is to get as many users as they can and most users are just casual listeners. They want to start the app and spotify should play content they like without thinking about it too much. These users are not bothered about libraries. My wife, daughter and son don't have a clue what I'm talking about in this discussion. They say: you mean 10.000 is the maximum of a play list? Me: no. Oh je mean the maximum downloads is 10.000? Me: no. They don't care about a library. They do understand the concept of liking a song. They don't know what is meant with saving an album.

So for spotify this is difficult. A small percentage of users complain about a library and the majority is happy, spotify is using the likes for custom playlist like weekly discover and release radar and the majority loves it.

So should they bother about library nerds like us 🙂

Regards,

René

As I’ve said in my own topic;

My library/liked songs has not yet reached 10000 yet I’m being told my limit has been reached.  Also, I have songs that I have removed from my Library via the Albums songs list, yet they still show as saved songs if I search the Artist.  I’m finding that many of my songs are showing as duplicates and I’ve no way to tidy them up.  Help!!!

Hi,

You say a few things which I don't understand. 

You removed songs from your library you say. By not liking them anymore? If yes then you should be able to add other songs. You can see this in your favorites playlist. When you unlike a song, the number goes down.

Then you say that you can still see them when you go to the artist. That is correct, it will show you all the albums you saved of this artist and all the songs of the album no matter if you did like them or not.

Then about duplicates. What do mean by this?

Regards,

René

Hopefully this helps, it didn't help me but it might help you, goodluck.

https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Suggested posts