Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No Station Idents or Announcers on Premium Please

No Station Idents or Announcers on Premium Please

I couldn't see how to contact Spotify anymore. Looks like they've removed the option to email them? Basically I wanted to say that as a Premium user I pay not to hear ads. I think that songs which have station idents or DJ announcements in them are akin to the same annoyance of ads and breach the no ad agreement I pay for. If I've got a nice playlist going at a party I don't want some random DJ or station ident suddenly playing in the middle of it. Might as well be listening to the radio for free then. Thanks

6 Replies

Hi there,

Actually, it's good you mention this. I myself have a playlist and wanted to try some things to make it feel more "radio" such as adding a shoutout from one of the artists telling the listener to enjoy their latest track. Was also thinking of some kind of jingle to help brand the list more.

However, I did notice that did have slightly negative affects - and I can definitely understand that users just want to remain in the groove. I since stopped doing it - was a good test case.

I haven't really come across this anymore in Spotify's own playlists - or are we talking about 3rd party playlists? Or maybe something totally different? 🙂

Grts,

^R

It's mainly in my Discovery Weekly playlist. I listen to a lot of dance music and there will be a few tracks each week that are cut rather abruptly from radio shows so they have a station promo at the start then the DJ making announcement and often a back announcement too. Also it's that poor FM quality. That and the fact that the song often doesn't have a proper end and is just cut totally kills it for me. I don't know if Spotify plan to become more radio like Apple Beats but I personally hope they don't.

Hi there,

Sounds like some of these tracks are taken out of "podcasts" (like Hardwell on Air). Hardwell usually uploads his podcast as an "album" with a lot of mix cuts/cut edits which may be the main reason you're getting these. I'm not sure if other artists do this.

Technically, this isn't a Spotify issue but more of an artist/distribution "issue" in which "technically" this is slightly against Spotify guidelines. I've seen some artists even delivering their live set cut into separate tracsk to their Spotify profile. A live stream is usually pretty bad audio quality and also includes crowds and atmosphere which in the case of getting these into your automatically generated playlists are of course no fun to listen to.

Grts,

^R

Yeah it is from podcasts but unfortunately it means I stop following them as artists. I wish they would keep podcasts separate and not drop excerpts of them in playlists. Just saw this and it sounds like it's something that is only going to increase. 

Hi there,

Well actually Podcasts are separate on Spotify and CANNOT be put in Playlists.

However, in the case of Hardwell - if you check his profile - you do see a lot of "albums/compilatons" which are actually podcasts. They upload the whole podcast as an album, with each track 'split' out of the original podcast so that it can generate streams. It seems a few artists do this. So technically Spotify is seeing these tracks as album tracks and that's why they're being put into auto generated playlists. So, not really Spotify's fault, more of the artists' fault 🙂

Podcasts belong (in full) under the podcast section in Spotify. Again, these cannot be put into playlists and will never end up in auto generated playlists.

Grts,

^R

Yes I'm getting a random song here or there from one of these podcasts in my Discovery Weekly playlist. I didn't mean the entire podcast. The label or artist must be cutting excerpts out of the main podcast to pollute playlists with. Would be good if you could flag these and report them to Spotify and they would take them down.

Suggested posts