Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payments for Premium for expats living/working in China

Payments for Premium for expats living/working in China

So firstly I love the Spotify platform, I reallt enjoyed the 7 days trial of the premium working in conjunction with my google home device.

However i find it a little backward that I am unable to pay for premium from China?

I am an expat from the UK working in China for a US company and I am very very sure there are thousands more like me here.

Why are we unable to purchase a premium account? is our money not good enough?

As all foreigners here we have to use a VPN to access google services, I have a bank account here and its linked to a paypal account. (Like many working for foreign companies here I'm on a 3+ year rolling contract for as long as I am needed here, not a 2 week business trip!)

The credit card linked is my Chinese UnionPay card, but this isnt accepted as its linked to a chinese account!! WHY?

I can use my paypal account for many things in the west, Steam, HumbleBundle, Blizzard.. why would you block a payment? its free money for you.

I don't even care if you charge me UK,Japanese, HK price, I would happily pay and be able to use the service.

It seems prehistoric and a little exclsusional to disallow payments from expats or indeed anyone in this day and age. It's 2018!! people do have to travel for extended periods of time and work in other countries, its a global community.

What issue do you have with China? If its a security issue why not consider registration for expats using passport/ID/driving license?

Payment in Bitcoin or cyptocurrency? I can assure for the majority of us it's not about using a VPN to find the cheapest subscription plan, it's more about the ability to be able to pay for a premium subscription and enjoy music, that for many of us expats is a creature comfort that keeps us sane and reminds us of home.

Please consider a way for people in my situation to pay and subscribe, without having to fly home just to subscribe, thats some expensive yearly sub!

If there is already a way please let me know as I found no details; also if anyone working in China has found a way to pay please do share.

3 Replies

I have the same problem as you. 😞 How to pay for Premium during stay in China and using VPN?

Same problem here

I know righttttttt.... Take my money! Oh wait they doesn't want it.... 

Suggested posts