Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play different Spotify music on multiple Amazon echos/other devices concurrently

Play different Spotify music on multiple Amazon echos/other devices concurrently

Hi, 

I have several Amazon Echoes at home. Also have the Spotify phone app and listen on desktop too.

What Spotify subscription will allow me and members of my family to listen to Spotify at the same time through any of these devices - all playing different music at once?

Is it possible?

Thanks!

38 Replies

Hey @dkelleruk ,

In this case I'd recommend the Spotify family plan! More information on this can be found here:

Premium for Family

Each family member will get their own sign in account and will be able to play on seperate devices through this. 

Let me know how it goes!

Robert_WRock Star 11
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for that - so if I have a family plan, could you confirm that (for example) I would be able to play Spotify on each Echo, at the same time - different music that is,  *not* the same music. Thanks!

Hi @dkelleruk ,

As long as each person on the plan is signed into their own account each person will be able to play their own music on that particular device, providing each device and account is linked to Alexa.

I hope this helps!

Robert_WRock Star 11
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

How did this work out for you. I wasn't able to make it work a year ago. I had to use Amazon Music Unlimited for the family plan, but miss Spotify every day.

My kids (all under 13) like to play their own streaming music in their own rooms, but out Echos are all under MY amazon account. 

If I remember correctly they all needed their own amazon accounts  and their own Spotify accounts. 

Yup, I had to create a separate Amazon account for everyone and link it to their own Echos. They each have their own Spotify accounts on a family plan.

Yes @Seeeda024,

Exactly what @dkelleruk says.

Not only do you need separate Spotify account but you also need separate Amazon accounts. You can then link the accounts together so every user can listen to his or her own music 🙂

This is the worst way possible to set up multiple Echo's in a house that all need to be connected to a different Amazon account and makes managing Echos for other home tasks impossible.

Why can Spotify not allow multiple streams from a family account? 

I get why they would not allow this for an individual account but if you pay for a family account for up to six people why can't this also be for six different streams to six different devices from one account.

I and thousands of others have switched to Amazon music for this very reason.

If Spotify fixed this I would switch back instantly.

I had to switch to deezer for exactly this reason 😞

My 3 kids (all under 13) just received their echo dot and I too thought the Spotify family plan would suffice. No way in **bleep** am I setting up a separate Amazon account for each just for the purpose of allowing them to listen to their own music. This is a huge miss for Spotify. Instead of upgrading my premium to the family I will be downgrading to the free plan and signing up for the Amazon family plan instead.

You can do this with an Apple Music subscription. Multiple echos simultaneously playing different music in different rooms. I happen to have a family Apple Music subscription but I don’t think that is actually necessary to make this work because my Echos are all linked to a single Apple Music account. So whenever my kids play music in their rooms it always says “now playing *** on Dad’s Apple Music”. I was with Spotify for years but had to go with Apple Music for only this reason since I got the Echo devices around eighteen months ago. If Spotify ever get this fixed then I’ll probably move back. In fact, I’m only here now because I periodically come back to see if it’s been resolved.

Same here. Trying Spotify again as I much prefer the ability to listen to Artists that is missing on Apple Music.

And yet here we are again, unable to have different songs playing on different devices. We have 6 echos in the house in kids and other rooms and it seems bizarre to me this isn't possible when AM and Amazon support it. 

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting on the Community! We're happy to shed some light on the situation. 

At the moment, it's not really possible to use multiple Spotify accounts on your Amazon speakers but you can work around this by creating an Amazon Household and adding additional accounts. The Amazon devices will then let you switch between user profiles via voice command, so if you associate multiple Amazon accounts with different Spotify ones, you can get the desired effect.

Another option is to control the playback on your Alexa devices with Spotify Connect. You can choose your music in the Spotify app on mobile, tablet or desktop and select the speaker to listen on from the device list.

You can also consider adding your +VOTE to this idea, if this is a feature you'd like to see implemented in the future. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. Check out this Spotify Answer to learn more about it.

Hope this info is useful. We'll be here if you need help with anything else.

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the update. I've now added my vote. This arbitrary limitation is the only reason I'm now forced to subscribe to Apple Music rather than Spotify.

If I use multiple Amazon accounts, do the routines, drop in or announcements still works?

Could someone help me figure out how to make this work? I have a Spotify family account with three users (myself, my wife, and my 11 year-old daughter). We also have several Echo devices, including an "Echo Dot Kids" for my daughter. She wants to be able to play music off of her Spotify account on her Echo Dot Kids device, but whenever she asks it to play music, it defaults to my account instead. This also means that if I'm listening to my Spotify account on an Echo device and she asks her Echo Kids Dot to play something from her Spotify account, Spotify then stops playing on my device and switches to playing on her device, even though we have our own Spotify accounts. 

Appreciate any help people can give. Thanks! 

Hi folks,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

@Tartinm, to use multiple Echo Dot devices separately at the same time, each Spotify account must be linked to a different Amazon account. To that end, you can create an Amazon Household as @Xenia mentioned above, so each person in the house has their own Amazon account/profile to link their Spotify account with. For more info about it, we recommend reaching out to Amazon support.

You can find the steps to link your accounts here.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Moderators, your solution is unreasonable for Echo users and it frankly shows that you're out of touch. Creating a different Amazon+Spotify account for every device in every room of my home or using Amazon Household actually shows that you don't really know how your customers are using Echos. Since Echo Dots are $30 during the holidays it's very common to have one in every room. So you're suggesting I create an Amazon account for my kitchen and then pay for Spotify Premium for that one room and then do the same thing for the master bedroom, entryway, back patio, etc? I tried to upvote the suggestion where it simply checks my network to make sure we're all under one household, but you closed it. Spotify has better playlists than Amazon Music, but if my 4 year old needs to figure out how to switch profiles in the den just to listen to Frozen while I'm listening to 90s music in another room WHILE I'm paying for a family plan, then that's a deal breaker, since it happens every day. 

It's ridiculous the proposed solution, have the problem reported more than 2 years ago and doesn't look for a real solution... I would thinking to upgrade for family plan, reading this I think actually to move to another music service

CarlosE, hay algun motivo en particular, que sepas, por el cual Spotify teniendo el problema reportado desde hace mas de 2 años no haya hecho nada por solucionarlo ?

Es realmente imposible que una cuestion comercial afecte asi una cuestion tecnica ?

El plan familiar segun dice es para personas en el mismo domicilio, tan dificil sera que habiliten la cantidad de posibles usuarios concurrentes como diferentes streaminga de una misma cuenta ? Asi como lo hace Netflix por ejemplo....

Suggested posts