Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10+

Operating System

Latest Android version

My Question or Issue

2 weeks ago I began getting ads on my premium account.

I already logged off and on again.

I checked my payments. (All payed)

I checked my subscription. (Premium)

I did already take all the steps necesary to repair this issue. (Read on this forum)

What can I do?

Kind regards,

Bregtvdb

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Bregtvdb,

thanks for answering !

Podcasts can have embedded ads in them as they're uploaded content and not created one.

If you're experiencing ads while listening to Podcasts this is the reason behind it.

Users who create and upload their Podcasts to the app have probably edited them with ads and uploaded them to the app.

Therefore, these ads cannot be removed as part of a non-ads premium account.

However, if as a Premium user you encounter ads on your regular music content such as playlists, albums etc please reply back to the post and i'll check it out for you.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂 

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hi there @Bregtvdb,

thanks for posting !

Could you please let me know if you're experiencing these ads while listening to regular music content or while listening to Podcasts ?

Furthermore, please visit your account overview page at Spotify.com and make sure that your subscription status hasn't changed lately.

Waiting on your update 🙂

Hi OneByBoo, indeed, it is only with podcasts I think.
It's strange that the commercials are in dutch (my native language) and they are not announced by the host.
Could you explain why this is ie how they do this?

Thank you,

Bregtvdb

Marked as solution

Hi @Bregtvdb,

thanks for answering !

Podcasts can have embedded ads in them as they're uploaded content and not created one.

If you're experiencing ads while listening to Podcasts this is the reason behind it.

Users who create and upload their Podcasts to the app have probably edited them with ads and uploaded them to the app.

Therefore, these ads cannot be removed as part of a non-ads premium account.

However, if as a Premium user you encounter ads on your regular music content such as playlists, albums etc please reply back to the post and i'll check it out for you.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂 

thank you very much 😉

Hi @Bregtvdb,

You're more than welcome.

Enjoy Spotify 🙂

I just started listening to Michelle Obamba's podcast and Salesforce and Dawn (dish soap) are peppering the podcasts with ads. I hate it! I pay $10/month to not listen to ads. What's going on?

Hey @lepsilak,

Thanks for reaching out here and welcome to the Community! We're happy to shed some light on the situation 🙂

As mentioned by @OneByBoo podcasters can now choose to include dynamic ads into their episodes with Spotify as the receiving end of content and functioning as an "open stage" streaming platform for all. There's more info on ads in podcasts in this Spotify Answer.

Hope you find this information useful. Let us know if you have any other questions.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Listening to Frank Sinatra radio on premium during Spaghetti night with the kids and getting hammered with political bashing ads between every song. What gives?

Hey there @ccwillcox,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community. This sounds odd and we'll do our best to help you out.

When the account is on Premium, there shouldn't be audio ads while enjoying music content. That's why it's a good idea to try with some troubleshooting steps so we can investigate this further. 

Can you restart the device? Then you can log out and log back in to the account.

If the issue persists, we'd need more information about it. 

• On which device does the issue occur?
  • Is this the first time you're experiencing this issue?

Keep us posted! If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Why Spotify don't prohibit providers to embed advertisement in their content? I think it's odd policy to allow that, do they work harder than musicians to justify more revenues?

I second this. There’s no reason why premium users should be having to listen to ads embedded in podcasts. Users should be able to report offending podcasts to have them removed/flagged, The creator then should  have the option to fix and re-upload. Seriously, what’s stopping musicians from embedding ads in their songs now? This is only opening those doors, and I’m not a fan. I’ve been a Spotify premium user since like... 2009? It’s been such a great platform... Please consider the users here. 

Hey there @Jim69 and @deviousdink, 

Thanks for posting that!

While Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcast creators may include third-party advertising, host-read endorsements or sponsorship messages in their episodes.

However, having no ads during podcasts is something other Community users have mentioned that they'd like to see. In that case, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback to this idea so you can show your support and contribute to the discussion around this. This way, you can also stay up to speed with the latest updates we have to pass on about this.

If you're curious on how ideas can get implemented, we'd recommend taking a look here.

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you so much for that link. I had actually tried to add my own idea,
but the website on my phone wasn't letting me (a whole new level of
errors). Anyway I just added my comment on the one you linked and gave it
an upvote. Thanks again so much for linking it so we can give it momentum!

Cheers! 🙂

Hi Katerina, can you please tell me if I understand this correctly? 

- I pay every month for a Premium "No-ads" version of Spotify

- Spotify decides to allow creators to add ads into their uploads anyway

- Spotify then forces Premium users who have "No-ads" version of Spotify to listen to these ads

- a Spotify moderator suggests we beg  vote on whether Spotify would be so kind as not to force constant ads on the users who pay for the Premium "No-ads" experience 

Am I getting this correctly??

Hi,
As a premium user I find this to be unacceptable. I pay so that I don't have to hear adds.
What is the solution so that I don't have to hear adds while listening to podcasts?
Thanks.

Unfortunately this is not the case.  There are first party ads being delivered from spotify on certain podcasts some involving high profile comedians.   I enjoy spotify but if the company is the exact opposite about their intentions and use false advertising to loure customers into becoming premium subscribers I can no longer participate. 

This is not a solution! We pay for ad free listening. Now how about you give me my money back. Just canceled and will never support your platform again.

It’s a disgrace. No more podcasts for me. This is a slippery slope. Next thing there will be advertising embedded in the song. 

Good Evening,

My adds are peppered into recommended playlists now.

I listen to subscribed podcasts on another well known platform without adds.

I am considering cancelling if this is the direction for Spotify.

Am I being over reactive or is this a simple mistake.?

Can you help please.

Best wishes  JB.

Suggested posts