Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium to Family Premium and back

Premium to Family Premium and back

I want to try Family Premium but I also want to be sure that if and when I decide to roll back to my current premium plan that I won't be charged a different rate than what I am currently paying for.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

3 Replies

Hi @Hyugz and thanks for your question! 🙂
When you switch to the Family subscription, you would be charged the Family plan amount at time of change. If you decided to cancel and go back to a standard Premium subscription, you would need to wait until your account reverted to Free and subscribe again. This may invalidate any special offers you may have previously held - such as a Hulu bundle. If you are a Student, and eligible, you could resubscribe with that rate as each plan is a different subscription level.
I hope this helped answer your question and have a great day! 🙂

Thanks @Bethany_Dawn. I hope your answer is accurate coz I do notice your note saying that you're not a Spotify employee. 

I have a follow-up question. Spotify has just charged me a month's subscription today. If I subscribe for the Family plan today, will I be charged in full?

Hey @Hyugz ! 🙂

It could depend on how your account payments are currently setup. I have copied some info below from the Spotify support page

Already have Premium?

If you already have Premium direct with us, your billing switches automatically - you don’t need to cancel anything.

• If you’re managing a Family plan, your new payment date will likely be a few days earlier than usual to cover the price difference between Individual and Family Premium.
  • If you’re joining a Family plan, all subsequent payments on your account are made by the plan’s manager. Any remaining Premium time you have is forfeited.

Note: If your current Premium plan is associated with a partner, you first need to cancel with them and wait for your current Premium to end.

If you currently pay by a mobile company or other provider you would need to cancel, let your account revert to free, and then resubscribe. In this case, you would pay the full subscription amount upfront. If you are upgrading a Premium account that is paid directly to Spotify it should adjust your renewal date and charge the difference.

I hope this was helpful! 🙂

Suggested posts