Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Relocation to another country -> Cannot change CC, cannot change country

Relocation to another country -> Cannot change CC, cannot change country

TL/DR: Spotify doesn't accept my CC because it's issued from a different country and then doesn't let me update my country: I cannot pay money to Spotify.

So.. I'm a bit unhappy at this point, because the UX is complete **bleep** (seriously? the word quite similar to 'crab' is banned?).

I want to update my payment details, switching from a German CC to a CC from Singapore - because I just relocated and live here/in SG now. The German CC is going to die soon.

I happily provide Spotify with the details to take my f..ine money, get a popup message saying "You know what? That card seems to be issued in Singapore (no **bleep**..). Your profile's country needs to match the CC's country (why??)".

That annoying popup has two buttons. The first one is FAT, green (if I recall correctly) and says 'Change country to Singapore'. The other one is to cancel the whole thing.

I hit 'YES! Singapore! Make It So'. Page refreshes with no feedback at all, I'm back at the change payment details site and my information is gone.

Okay. That's stupid. Let me just check my profile's country. "DE". Hmm... Spotify, you just asked me if I'm in SG and if I want to change it to SG. I agreed. Okay, let's click edit and set it myse.... waitaminute. Country is a disabled dropdown. Below that dropdown is a link that explains in detail how I can change my country. Alas .. that just says that I should go back to the very same edit profile site I just looked at and lists these helpful steps:

1. Log in to your account page
  2. Click EDIT PROFILE
  3. Scroll down to Country and select your new country from the dropdown list.
    Note: Your new country will only show in this list when you’re actually there.
  4. Click SAVE PROFILE.

If only I could select something from the dropdown list. That'd be awesome..

How can I throw my money at Spotify now? And who thought that this is a good idea?

(Also, the bad word filters are quite laughable and the feedback message after replacing common words with childish 'oops'/'bleep' stating that 'invalid HTML was found' is .. misleading. More like .. completely wrong)

11 Replies

Same problem here, very very annoying, already tried everything and nothing. I'm very close to cancel my account and try Apple Music. Did you solve this problem? thanks!

Did anyone figure out this problem? I am trying to change my Country and the dropbox box is greyed out.

When I try to update a new payment method, it is not accepting as it says it originates form a different Country. Help....

I'm having the same issue, want to change my account country to UK as I need to start paying with my UK credit card as I live in the UK now. Can't do this... country drop-down is greyed out. Seems like neither the chicken or the egg come first.

Spotify what are we to do?????? I dont want to lose my playlists by haivng to close my account- I've been curating them for years. I need to change my credit  card. if you keep charging my AUS credit card you will get me in trouble with my bank. this needs resolving ASAP

I contacted them on twitter and got the issue resolved that way. Was quite quick.
Yes there should be a better way. But maybe that is good enough for you for now?

Oh ok. I dont have twitter. Dam. Will have to find another way! Thanks

Hi, exact same problem here. I moved from France to the USA. I want to update my CC. It won't let me do it, asking me to update my country settings. It is greyed out and won't let me change it. So, I'm stuck.

Contact them (I used Twitter) and they will fix it.

Hey there @Shnazz,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community!

No worries, if you've moved permanently in a different country, you should be able to update it on your account by following the steps below:

1. Cancel your subscription.
  2. Wait until your account reverts back to the free, ad-supported service at the end of your current billing cycle.
  3. Log in to your account page
  4. Click EDIT PROFILE
  5. Scroll down to Country and select your new country from the dropdown list.
    Note: Your new country only shows when you’re actually there.
  6. Click SAVE PROFILE.
  7. Resubscribe to Premium using a payment method issued in your new country. 

If you're having troubles seeing your current country showing up in the menu, we'd recommend trying the following:

• Try logging updating your account page in an incognito/private window in your browser.
  • Try with a different device (for example, if you're on your mobile, try the steps above in a desktop device).
  • Try in a different network connection. 

Keep in mind that you won’t lose any music or account settings by reverting to Free, but you will need to redownload anything you’ve made available for offline listening once you’re back on Premium.

You can also check out this support site article for more info.

Hope this helps clarify things 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Katerina, you recommended to "Resubscribe to Premium using a payment method issued in your new country", but the problem of people here is that they are still using payments methods (bank, CC, paypal) from their original countries.

I live in South Africa. Friends in the Netherlands added me to their family plan ages ago and now I cannot use my desktop app because of this. They still pay for the account so changing payment options can't be done. Very silly and frustrating. I hope this can be solved I have hundreds of playlists...

I had the same issue, such incredibly bad info on the FAQ.

The FAQ now says:

1. Log in to your account page.
  2. Under Your subscription, next to your payment method, click UPDATE.
  3. Enter a new payment method issued in your new country.

This is WRONG!

You will only get a red error saying your card and country don't match.

What you actually have to do is: 

1. You have to cancel your subscription.

2. Drop down menu on your profile then becomes active, change it to the current country.

3. Try and fail to re-subscribe. Spotify will still assume you're in your old country, so during the payment process change the country at the bottom. (This link is present, but broken until you've done step 1 and 2)

4. You will finally be prompted to pay with a payment method in your current country.

Suggested posts