Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Revolut payment

Solved!

Revolut payment

Hi there,

I am trying to use my Revolut card to make a purchase but it seems it doesn't work.

The message I get says I need to change my country location, which is Romania.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I made it work now by adding a virtual card (not the disposable kind obviously as you need it to work more than once) to my Revolut account and giving Spotify the number of the new virtual card. Virtual cards are just like another card connected to your Revolut bank account, you just don't get a physical card with it, so you're paying for Spotify with your Revolut account, you're just using a different card number. 

Up until recently Revolut credit card numbers where coded to have been issued in the UK (where Revolut's headquarted), now they changed it in way that newly created card numbers are recognised as issued in the account owner's country. 

View solution in original post

80 Replies

Hi All,

I have recently cancelled my account in Slovakia (I think the general banking options are **bleep**). I would like to pay for Spotify with my pre-paid Revolut card, however Spotify is saying I can't use it because it was issued in the UK. That is nice but I don't get why it is a problem since the card is registered on a Slovak address.

Just so you know, my main account is with N26, again registered at a Slovak address, but the card is issued in Germany, so I guess that doesn't solve the situation either.

Any ideas how to resolve this? I would love to keep using spotify.

Hey @jasomfufi,

If you're in Slovakia, you'll have to use a slovakian payment method, there's no way around it.

Sorry about that.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same issue here in Portugal.

Would like to pay with my Revolut Card but can't without changing the address to UK.

Come on! It's 2017... the age of fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency!

Find another way to make proof of residency! Use some 3rd party KYC/AML validation service.

Hi I had the same issue, but what you can do is creating an PayPal account and use your revolut card. You have to pay (in my case) 1 CHF. extra which is totally fine for me.

Spotify please fix your country detection of Revolut Limited. It is registered in Lithuania, BANK CODE 39200, BIC REVOGB21XXX instead of United Kingdom. Now I can't pay in euros but I have an euro account with Revolut. Here is a link to the Lithuanian Bank info:

https://www.lb.lt/uploads/documents/files/LT-20170928-en.pdf

You don't have to pay extra just when choosing to pay in paypal tick the box that you want your card issuer to convert the currency. If paypal converts he currency you have to pay extra. it is a tricky box to find in paypal.

This is so **bleep**ing **bleep**ed up tbh,

You dont take my swedish mastercard and you dont take my revolut card.

What exactly am i supposed to do???

Spotify is a swedish company yet you **bleep** on us,

You absolutely **bleep** on us.

Hey @ClaudiuD, welcome to the Community!

What country was the payment method issued in? Keep in mind that your Spotify account's country setting needs to match the country where your card was issued.

Also, does your payment card meet these requirements?

Let us know.

Yes. Same problem. Revolut user, Romania. I use the revolut account for all my reccurent payments. So it seems Spotify just lost a paying customer.

Yea, I can also live with your shuffle and ads bs.

Kudos.

Have the same problem with Revolut card. I'm from Poland. Revolut card is multcurrency and international. I don't want to (and cannot) change the country of the account

Same issue here!

it's not a credit card issue, as I can successfully pay other services online with my Revolut credit card. It's just Spotify's billing system setting that needs to be changed from checking credit card issuer country to credit card owner origin country!

Same issue here!

it's not a credit card company issue, as I can successfully pay other services online with my Revolut credit card. It's just Spotify's billing system setting that needs to be changed from checking credit card issuer country to credit card owner origin country!

Same problem, Spotify wrongly assumed, that credit card issuer's country is same as my residence country. But it is false, sice Revolut send their cards to various country. 

Doesn't work anymore, paypal is blocking revolut as well, like many banks ...

Same problem here. My current country is Denmark and I doesn't allow me to pay with my Revolut Card. Spotify please fix this.

Thank you, Spotify for the last two months of premium. I've tried to change my payment method to a Revlout card, which seems to be impossible.

I've just canceled my subscription, going back to Google Play Music, at least they don't request my card to be issued in the same country where I live in.

See you back when you're ready to keep up with competition.

Same here. Bulgaria and Revolut card. It is an online bank from UK but my billing address on the card is in Bulgaria. There is something wrong. I would never give a traditional bank card online again, as options to protect oneself from leaked cards are limited and reissuing card takes weeks sometimes. It is a blocker for using the service.

Same problem for Czech Republic. Paying via Revolut automatically changed my country to UK thus charging twice more. This is what I got from support:

"""

...  can confirm that you used a card issued in the UK. This automatically changed your country settings to UK. For security, it's not possible to change the country settings to Czech Republic if the payment method was issued in the UK.

I can, however, refund your last payment and revert your account to Free. Then you can upgrade to Premium for Family again using a different payment method issued in Czech Republic.

"""

Sad day for startups when Spotify, also a promising startup not too far back, is not supporting modern payment methods. Surprisingly Spotify is the only service out of many which has issues with Revolut. 

Same issue here, also from Romania.

Suggested posts