Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Revolut payment

Solved!

Revolut payment

Hi there,

I am trying to use my Revolut card to make a purchase but it seems it doesn't work.

The message I get says I need to change my country location, which is Romania.

Any ideas?

80 Replies

You have to change country to Great Britain as Revoult is registered there. Not sure but then you will pay in Pounds what is not good. For Poland 20PLN vs 10£ (~47PLN). It's better to pay in your local currency.

Hey folks!

Us again, we've moved this to the help board after speaking to the right team. 

When subscribing to Spotify you have to use a method of payment from the same country. At this time, Revolut cards are registered in the UK. This means you'll only be able to use the cards if you live in the UK.

If anything changes we'll let you know.

Thanks,

/T

User in Ireland in the same boat, using payment issuer to verify location is fundamentally flawed and easy enough to fake. You’re forcing people to fake their location, not prove it.

Hello guys,

cmon, it's not that complex. Please allow us to pay with this wonderfoul card! That's the only service which is still on my old bank card.

Help us moving into 2018!

Dude

Your (Spotify's) approach is seriously flawed! When receiving payment for a service why are you not more interessted in which person is paying the bill instead of which friggin' bank is handling the credit card?!

Seriously, you're the only service I know of that this doesn't work and you can't even grasp it or actually prefer to ignore the fact! This makes me consider another music streaming service...

And waht's the sense of the subject status change anyway, you're not asking for more info, but rather telling you don't care!

Can't belive that spotify still doesn't solve this issue!!! It is 2018 I wanna pay by revolut.

Hello Spotify.

dont you think that the country card  restriction is illegal when you read the European Union laws?

I mean there is this big title « Free movement of capital », it must mean something.

UK is still in EU, for few months. So we should be allowed to pay with Revolut.

So I guess that since Spotify doesn't want our money, we won't give it to it... Solved

2c more - after 2019 enters it would be illegal to offer different products and services online based on customer location as long as it is within EU. I don't know if this affects Spotify, but it sounds like it does (though the catalogue may differ until euro government remove junk from the copyright directive and pass it through).

Anyway, I have been using Google Play Music for several months already, the difference is not substantial. I may return to Spotify if they start looking at the billing address on the card and not the issuer country.

Hello, I cannot also pay by revolut from Poland. Please allow to pay via this virtual card. Every different services accept this payment method without any problems.

I switched to Tidal. Works great and they are adding more and more features.

Just bumping this thread because I have the same problem. Can't use my revolut card, must get one from a shitty Hungarian bank just for Spotify. Everything else works with my Revolut one. Fix**bleep** Spotify!

Try to buy Spotify Gift card in some online shop and use received code in your Spotify account. I solved the problem this way.

That's too much hassle when there are so many good alternatives. It's easier to use a different service and Spotify is not worth the effort of searching and buying some prepaid card.

Respectfully but this is total RUBBISH! It is 2019 and you clearly state on the website that we have full control over our payments to Spotify - evidently we DO NOT!  

To add insult to injury, should one try to change their home country to UK just to be able to use a Revolut card, the prices FROM €6.99 BECOMES £9.99!!!  Wonder what frikking exchange rate you use for that!!!  According to today's rates £9.99 is equal to €11.08 which is a far cry from €6.99!!! https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=9.99&From=GBP&To=EUR
Is this the reason why you are trying to force us to switch to UK to use Revolut so you can shoot up our price in sterling?!?! Total rip-off and shame on you Spotify!!!  To **bleep** with your so-called Premium ripping off antics then!

Ken

Spotify have diffrent prices for diffrent countries. It is not exchange rate, Spotify just want more money from people who have Greate Birtain's IP address. 

Besides the fact that this is totally not fair and I doubt how much it is in line with EU directives (UK is still in EU for now); then the suspicion that they force the credit card country to be the account country for lucrative reasons makes even more sense: they force you to select UK when you have a UK based card like Revolut just to be able the charge you MUCH MORE! 

I just CANCELLED premium as I cannot stand companies that try rip you off in such arrogant and devious ways!

Ken

HEY SPOTIFY! Stop this BS! You are a company based in a EU country, that means the same rules apply to you as the rest of us! Here, read this:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/geo-blocking/

I think you need to revise your bs market practices...

As annoying as this is streaming music specifically called out as an exception to that for now;

"Exceptions

Services linked to copyright-protected content or works in an intangible form - such as music streaming services and e-books - will be excluded from the scope of the regulation. But this will be subject to a review by the European Commission."

Also has exceptions for pricing in different territories...

The objection I have is that you can't accurately use a bank card to determine a location and bank cards issued in different EU jurisdictions are becoming more common, N26, Revolut et al.

Hi!

I get the solution 😉

1. Create a Paypal account (free),
  2. add your Revolut card to your new Paypal account
  3. ... and finaly set Paypal as payment method in your country.

10minutes. Bam!

If you need visibility in Google, I do SEO or SEA for your business in the music area, I'm as creative as this Paypal hack to drive you leads. Contact me 😉

Jean

Suggested posts