Revolut payment

Solved!

Revolut payment

ClaudiuD
Casual Listener

Hi there,

I am trying to use my Revolut card to make a purchase but it seems it doesn't work.

The message I get says I need to change my country location, which is Romania.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Stephfh
Casual Listener

I made it work now by adding a virtual card (not the disposable kind obviously as you need it to work more than once) to my Revolut account and giving Spotify the number of the new virtual card. Virtual cards are just like another card connected to your Revolut bank account, you just don't get a physical card with it, so you're paying for Spotify with your Revolut account, you're just using a different card number. 

Up until recently Revolut credit card numbers where coded to have been issued in the UK (where Revolut's headquarted), now they changed it in way that newly created card numbers are recognised as issued in the account owner's country. 

View solution in original post

73 Replies

FMRb

Same problem here. My current country is Denmark and I doesn't allow me to pay with my Revolut Card. Spotify please fix this.

-m4p9u9n3d_ws
Casual Listener

Same problem, Spotify wrongly assumed, that credit card issuer's country is same as my residence country. But it is false, sice Revolut send their cards to various country. 

PippeR678
Casual Listener

Same issue here!

it's not a credit card issue, as I can successfully pay other services online with my Revolut credit card. It's just Spotify's billing system setting that needs to be changed from checking credit card issuer country to credit card owner origin country!

Owy
Casual Listener

Have the same problem with Revolut card. I'm from Poland. Revolut card is multcurrency and international. I don't want to (and cannot) change the country of the account

SergioDavid
Roadie

Hey @ClaudiuD, welcome to the Community!

What country was the payment method issued in? Keep in mind that your Spotify account's country setting needs to match the country where your card was issued.

Also, does your payment card meet these requirements?

Let us know.

jasomfufi

Hi All,

I have recently cancelled my account in Slovakia (I think the general banking options are **bleep**). I would like to pay for Spotify with my pre-paid Revolut card, however Spotify is saying I can't use it because it was issued in the UK. That is nice but I don't get why it is a problem since the card is registered on a Slovak address.

Just so you know, my main account is with N26, again registered at a Slovak address, but the card is issued in Germany, so I guess that doesn't solve the situation either.

Any ideas how to resolve this? I would love to keep using spotify.

kovinek

Same problem for Czech Republic. Paying via Revolut automatically changed my country to UK thus charging twice more. This is what I got from support:

"""

...  can confirm that you used a card issued in the UK. This automatically changed your country settings to UK. For security, it's not possible to change the country settings to Czech Republic if the payment method was issued in the UK.

I can, however, refund your last payment and revert your account to Free. Then you can upgrade to Premium for Family again using a different payment method issued in Czech Republic.

"""

Sad day for startups when Spotify, also a promising startup not too far back, is not supporting modern payment methods. Surprisingly Spotify is the only service out of many which has issues with Revolut. 

operabilus

Thank you, Spotify for the last two months of premium. I've tried to change my payment method to a Revlout card, which seems to be impossible.

I've just canceled my subscription, going back to Google Play Music, at least they don't request my card to be issued in the same country where I live in.

See you back when you're ready to keep up with competition.

PippeR678
Casual Listener

Same issue here!

it's not a credit card company issue, as I can successfully pay other services online with my Revolut credit card. It's just Spotify's billing system setting that needs to be changed from checking credit card issuer country to credit card owner origin country!

Danzyn

Yes. Same problem. Revolut user, Romania. I use the revolut account for all my reccurent payments. So it seems Spotify just lost a paying customer.

Yea, I can also live with your shuffle and ads bs.

Kudos.

etagenyeti
Casual Listener

Seems like this is still not fixed 

Xenia

Hey all,

Thanks for coming to the Community! We're happy to shed some light on the situation.

With Revolut you can usually choose the issued country of your card and if it doesn't match the country your account is registered in the payment cannot be processed.

We've noticed that sometimes the issued country gets changed by Revolut (even if it was originally set correctly), so it's best to get in touch with them to confirm the issued country of your card.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen

Dodoche
Visitor
Dear Revolut,

I agree this is a Spotify issue not a Revolut user issue.

I have been using a french Spotify Premium account for 7 years living in Switzerland. It has never been an issue. Now that I want to move to a Family account I have to switch to a Swiss account (more expensive but you do not accept Revolut card. So what are my options?

As said before, Please, dear Spotify, take our money!

Elena

Hey folks!

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Spotify requires a payment method issued in the same country that is registered on your country so that we can securely verify your location. You can check all our requirements here.

This is mostly needed for licensing reasons. Availability of music can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders.

You should be able to set the country on your Revolut card to match the country you're currently in. It's a good idea to reach out to them if you have trouble with that.

You could also follow the steps here to see what payment methods are available in your country now.

Hope this shines some light on the situation.

Take care!

ElenaModerator

etagenyeti
Casual Listener

Hi Elena,

we get that. And we ask you to fix that.

There are other ways to verify a location. Credit card (or banking) information, as with phone numbers does not work in 2020 anymore as people have multiple reasons to have accounts, credit cards, phone numbers from countries they are not residing in.

PayPal recently managed to not require a phone number with a country code from the country the account is attached to for exactly that reason. I have faith in you, Spotify to manage that as well with the payment information.

Cheers

Christoph

Elena

Thanks for getting back to us @etagenyeti

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we'll be sure to forward it to the right team here. We recommend suggesting it on our Ideas board so that it could get support from other users as well. Take a look at this page to see how to post an Idea.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'd be happy to help.

ElenaModerator

maglub
Casual Listener
That is pure bull.

Revolute does _not_ give me the choice of where the card is issued.

I get a card issued in the UK. Not from CH.

This is ridiculous. I am not even sure why I waste my time to even argue about it.

Kenrizzo78
Regular

No it does not help, at all. It is up to Spotify to fix this and the only reason you don't is to play around with the pricing from country to country.

Ken

etagenyeti
Casual Listener

Hi Xenia,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ultimately, I think it is Spotify who has to fix this. Customers who want to give you their money should be able to decide how they want to give it to you. As long as it is not something exotic or cash... it is still credit/debit cards we are talking about.

The fact that that I pay all my subscriptions and bills with Revolut and Spotify seams to be the only service having an issue with that supports that opinion by the way.

Please, dear Spotify, take our money!

maglub
Casual Listener

plus one here.

I am based in Switzerland.

I could pay Spotify through Revolut for quite a long time, but about a month ago I started getting emails from Spotify saying that my payment did not go through. The problem is that they just stopped trying, since the BIN code on my card (4350 4496) says that the issuing country is UK. Can be checked here: https://binlist.net/

What a joke. No spotify for me until they fix this. I hope they lose lots of customers through this.

vinceslas
Visitor

Also from Switzerland and Revolut doesn't work with Spotify since June even though it did for months. I was about to upgrade to the Couple account but I guess it will wait until this is fixed and Spotify has just about a week for that since we are going on a family vacation and I'm not driving 6h without music. 

SUGGESTED POSTS