Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sales tax incorrect for location in county

Sales tax incorrect for location in county

I have a premium subscription and pay 9.99 plus sales tax. However, Spotify applies the sales tax for a town in my ZIP code at 7.13%. I do not live in the town, but in unicorporated El Paso County in Colorado, USA. The sales tax there is 5.13%. How can this be corrected?

5 Replies

Hey  Colospot,

You should try  updating your payment details to ensure you’re being charged correctly.

if this doesn't work let me know.

P.S You can get more info about Spotify and Taxes here and here.

❤️

Calinn, thank you for your prompt reply.

I am certain my address is correct. The problem is probably that my address
is a US Postal Service address. That is not the same as a location for the
taxes. I cannot change my address. Your tax database needs an update so that
it correctly identifies addresses for tax purposes. These are not the same
as postal addresses in many cases.

I can't give you detailed info as I am not sure if this is a public or a
private email/forum exchange.

So unfortunatelly there is no way of doing that, but the spotify customer service can certanly help you.

So, as I said, I cannot help you more than giving you the link to the support service (select subscription > other> and then imput your problem there. You will instanly be connected to a spotify agent that will be able to soleve your problem)

Please give it a try!

And sorry for redirecting you 🙂

if you have any onther questions or you still don't solve your problem please let me know!

❤️

Spotify customer service is useless. I have the same problem living in unincorporated Boulder county.  My sales tax rate on my address is 4.985%. But they are charging me city of Boulder sales tax of  8.845%. I have submitted credible evidence to them of my tax rate from government websites and they took one month to investigate. They came back to me today and said that they base their sales tax on a ZIP Code and since they are paying 8.845% that’s what they are going to charge me. It’s wrong and against the law. Just because they are not doing their research and paying the appropriate tax for my address doesn’t mean that I should have to pay nearly double the tax for their laziness. I’m getting ready to report them and cancel my subscription with them. It’s very disappointing. 

Hi

The sales tax that Spotify applies to your premium subscription is based on the ZIP code that you entered when you created your account. If you live in unincorporated El Paso County in Colorado, USA, but you entered a ZIP code for a town in the county, then Spotify is applying the sales tax for that town to your subscription.

To correct this, you can update your ZIP code in your Spotify account. You can do this by going to your account settings and clicking on the "Billing" tab. Once you have updated your ZIP code, Spotify will start applying the correct sales tax to your subscription.

If you are still having trouble with this, you can contact Spotify customer support for assistance.

Here are the steps on how to update your ZIP code in your Spotify account:

1. Go to the Spotify website and sign in to your account.
  2. Click on the "Profile" icon in the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on the "Settings" tab.
  4. Click on the "Billing" tab.
  5. Enter your new ZIP code in the "ZIP code" field.
  6. Click on the "Save" button.

Spotify will usually update your sales tax within a few days of you updating your ZIP code. However, it may take longer in some cases.
Regards AccountingFirms

Suggested posts