Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops playing after an ad

We've received reports that Spotify pauses after an ad and the playback cannot be resumed. This seems to affect multiple platforms including desktop, mobile, and TV.

The behavior is currently being investigated.

Hey folks,

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
mws54

This does not work for me. Safari, Chrome both still react the same. Music stops, ad starts and runs, then another ad with no sound. Unable to listen to music again. 

Only just talked into using Spotify. Not sure I would continue given these circumstances.

31mpubzfdpxlkidhge4d

I have been having the same issue for the last month+ while listening to Spotify on Sonos. Every time an ad comes up on Spotify, it pauses. I have to hit play, pause, play again for it to work. Super frustrating and from this thread and the thread on Sonos, there still has not been a fix. Just posting to show this is still an ongoing problem. 

CremeLanz

I have the same problem on my android tablet. Tried clearing cache, data, reinstalling and signing out and in. Nothing works

spSlaine

Still a problem for me the playback 'freezes' when the stream starts a commercial. Toggling the stop play icon, either in the Spotify or Sonos app restarts the stream playing the commercials and then continues with the music.

Happens on Android and iOS when initialising from either the Spotify or Sonos app.

Everything up to date and re-authoried account

AlejaR

Hey @CremeLanz,

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sharing with us the make/model and OS of the affected device, along with the Spotify version you're running there?

On another note, can you replicate this behavior if you open the web player on your tablet? Is this happening across all your devices, or does it happen just when trying to use Spotify on your tablet?

Lastly, is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet red you're using?

Keep us in the loop!

Alex

Hi folks,

Thank you for your input and the information you've provided. 

The right folks at Spotify are currently looking into this issue and are investigating why this is happening with playback on Safari. 

We'll update you here, as soon as we have more info.

Cheers.

benjamin_fro

Hi,

I'm using iPhone 7 iOS 15.7.6 also iPhone XR iOS 16.3.1 also Macbook pro Catalina 10.15.7 

this problem persists using the Spotify app (for Mac), Web browser (safari), Spotify app for iPhone or using Spotify via the Sonos app.

The adverts stop playback and will only restart when paused and then restarted.

I've tried logging out of Spotify and logging in again, installing the app and reinstalling, clean uninstall and reinstall.

I think it must be a problem with Spotify??

owessel

I have the same issue as described above.

I have an Android phone and a Sonos SL speaker. When there is an ad, the stream goes quiet so I need to press pause and then play, so the ad starts rolling. After the ad the music continues without any problems.

I have updated both Sonos and Spotify to the latest versions.

This problem goes for all ads, also Spotify's own ads 

OscarDC

Hey @benjamin_fro,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We appreciate all the info you shared in your post, it was really helpful. To continue with the investigation, it would be great if you could have someone log in with their account on your device, such as a friend or a family member, to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

Also, would you mind checking with a different Wi-Fi connection to see if the issue persists, as suggested by @AlejaR?

We'll be on the lookout.