Premium Duo

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Iphone 7/Mac

Operating System

(iOS)

My Question or Issue

I bought spotify premium duo a couple of months ago, but my boyfriend is unable to use it, as whenever he presses the invite link it says "There was a problem, please try again later".

I've tried all the recommended solutions but no luck. Logging out of devices, updating address, private browsing window etc. The same message still comes up. Both our accounts are in the UK and the address we put in is identical. Any idea how to fix this?

To clarify, the error message comes up after he has put in the address in the invite link.

9 Replies

Hey there @LM941,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

We'll need more information about his account in order to get to the bottom of this. Does he have a Premium for Family or a Student subscription?

If that's that case, that could explain the error message he is getting. Usually you can't add a member to the Premium Duo if they are the manager of another Premium for Family subscription.

We'd suggest he takes a look at this page to check the status of his subscription and cancel the Family/Student plan if he is on one. When his account goes to free, he'd be able to join your plan.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, we have the very same problem. We followed your advice as my girlfriend had a Premium Family account. She cancelled it in order to join the Premium Duo account. Unfortunately even after cancelling, the error message "There was a problem" still persists.

Does she have to wait until the end of the month until her account actually switches to Free? Won't she then lose her settings, playlists, downloads and whatnot? And will the invite link still be valid?

Thank you!

Hey there @JakubiskoSKS,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

If your girlfriend was the manager of another Family account, she needs to wait until her account actually switches to the free experience. On this way the member accounts from that previous Family plan will become free as well, and then she'll be able to join in your newly created Duo plan.  All of her playlists and settings will remain intact, only the music that was downloaded for offline hearing will be erased, as this is a Premium feature. However once she's part of your Duo, she can again download the songs/playlists she'd like to have available offline. On this page here, you can read in greater detail how this plan is designed to work.

You can always send a new invitation link to your girlfriend and she'd need to open it while logged in her free account, when the time is right. More info on how invitations and removals to the plan work you can read on this page here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator

I’m a free account and it still does that. 

Hi there @Crotchlime98,

Thank you for your reply in this thread. Let's take a closer look into this.

Can you try to accept the invite from a different device to see if it makes any difference?

Let us know how it goes. Have a great continued Friday and start of your weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi! I have the same problem. We are from Ukraine and never used Spotify earlier. After I starts Family account I send link to my daughter. We tried to activate it on her phone. Then we tried on laptop. The message is the same. If we put wrong adress, then we have a message about the wrong adress. What can we do with it?

Hi there @Avtorka,

Thanks for the post.

This error message comes up if your family members are in a different country or in another location than you. You need to make sure that the country set on the Spotify accounts of all family members is the same as the country you're currently in. The address set on the plan by the plan manager needs to be exactly the same for this to work.

If you're currently living in Ukraine, make sure that the country on your Spotify account is set to Ukraine. The same should be true for the account of your daughter.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

I'm having the same problem and tried all of the suggestion here.

• Address is the same,
  • Country is the same,
  • Used different devices

But still experiencing the same error message "There was a problem. Try again later". Can you help me with this?

Hi there @accounthelp123,

Thanks for the post.

Since you've checked the country settings and are living at the same address, it's possible that this error is caused by your subscription type currently. If you're currently paying for your Premium through a partner service, like Google Play Billing or other, you'd need to first cancel your current subscription.  After that you will have to wait for your account to switch to Spotify free and you'll be able to accept the invitation to the Family plan. 

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts