Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Switching from one family plan to another

Switching from one family plan to another

Hi,

I am switching from one family plan to another family plan. This is what I already know after some research on this community (correct me if I'm wrong):

- My current family plan has to expire or the administrator of this plan has to kick me out of it (for me it'll be the 2nd case)

- This will temporarily downgrade me to a free account

- I already have the invite for the new family plan so as soon as my account switches to 'free' I'll be able to accept this invite and join the new family plan

My question is, what do I lose during this process? From what I read, playlists shouldn't be a problem (again correct me if I'm wrong). But what about all the other songs in my library (those under "my songs" that aren't part of any playlists)? Do I lose all of them or can I just download them again to my devices once I joined the new family plan?

In case of losing them all, is there a workaround? Something like adding them all to a playlist before downgrading from my current family plan to the free account and then downloading them back after switching to my new family plan. Although I know there's some kind of limit on the number of songs you can have in one playlist and I have about 3000 songs in my library so doesn't seem ideal either.

5 Replies

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out.

The only thing that will be removed when you leave a Premium for Family plan is your offline downloads as that's a Premium-only feature. None of your other stuff will be removed.

Please also keep in mind that you can only switch from one Family plan to another once every 12 months.

Hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your answer but I was actually asking for a change from:

premium for family

to

premium for family.

I currently have the offline library option and since I'll keep the same type of contract I imagine I will also have it in the future.

My concern is:

what happens to my offline library when I make the change above? I ask because I know I'll shortly have to switch to a free account (because apparently changing directly from premium for family to premium for family is impossible) which will make it temporarly (?) impossible to use my offline library. Will I be able to redownload my entire library once I'm back on the (future) premium for family account or will I manually have to search back all my music?

I've already answered this in my previous post 🙂

All offline content will be removed on your devices when your account reverts back to Free. This has nothing to do with your saved songs, albums, playlists etc.

MaximSpotify Star

Why can I switch from one Family plan to another once every 12 months. I purchased a family plan under my sons account by accident with no ability to cancel i used it for the 1 month. I then set up a new family plan with my wife and now she can’t my plan. It’s ridiculous as it’s still the same household. 

Hey @Gavindenton ,

You can switch plans once every 12 months, which means that if you join plan A now and stay in it for a month, you are able to switch to plan B. 

Once you're in plan B, you can't switch to plan C until 12 months after the date you switched to plan B.

Hope this clears things up!

MaximSpotify Star

Suggested posts