Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone, latest MacBook Pro

Operating System

latest iOS, MacOS

My Question or Issue

Just updgraded to Premium and out of a sudden the songs in https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0tCGOWr57dA8MKR7Bfc1Dj say "This song is unavailable" - they were all working when on the Free plan (facepalm)

Tried different wifi/mobile data connections still no go. Re-installing did not help either. Not the best customer "upgrade" experience, more of a downgrade experience 😉

Can someone please help out?

Thanks!

15 Replies

Hey there @peterm01,

thanks for posting in the community !

Is it possible that you had a different country set under your settings when you were using the free account ? if so, when you upgraded to Premium you might have changed it and as not all track and albums are available in all countris this can cause the issue you're having.

Waiting on your update 😃

Thanks for your reply @OneByBoo

Unfortunately your solution did not help. The details, country etc. all remained the same... very very strange. If you're based in the UK, does it play for you (if you don't mind checking)?

Cheers!

Hey there @peterm01,

thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear it didn't help.

Can you re-check if it's playable now as i checked it is available in the UK?

If it still deosn't please check this Spotify Answer 

If none of these helps, send us a screenshot of the error you getting as it'll help solving the issue you're having.

Note: Make sure there's no sensitive details when sending the screenshot

Waiting on your update 😃

Thank you for trying to help. I've followed the article you referred to step-by-step but still no go. Please see the screenshot attached with this message.

Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 13.05.28.png

Hey @peterm01.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Could you please try to reset the hosts file. You can do this as follows:

1. Close Spotify if it's running
  2. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Open the file "hosts" in notepad
  4. Delete any entry you find which contains the name "Spotify"
  5. Save the file
  6. Reboot your computer and try again

Hope this solves the issue! Let us know what the result is.

Have a nice day 🙂

Thanks @Guido

I'm on a Mac so /etc/hosts doesn't have anything in it...

So strange it doesn't work on my iPhone nor MacBook, makes me think it is something to do with my account, when I was on the Free plan it worked fine on both.

Hey @peterm01.

Sorry about that!

Here's the instructions for MacOS:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope this helps! Let us know if it doesn't or if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

No worries, tried that but it did not help. No records with spotify in hosts.

Is there any way to contact Spotify to have this investigated by the technical team?

Hey @peterm01.

Thanks for letting us know.

Would you mind clicking on the Spotify logo in the top right of the following link?

https://open.spotify.com/album/3lUrnQpAUTDbP9X3JfVqt7?si=CpX7quCfQpCeaJvBkx8g7w

This should open the album in the Spotify app. Could you see if they play now?

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply.

Thanks Peter, clicking in the right top corner takes me to the Spotify app however the songs still don't play 😞

Hey @peterm01.

Thanks for trying that out.

It seems like there might be an issue which is specific to your account.

Just to make absolutely sure, would you mind trying to open the same link via a different account and seeing if it works?

Let us know how you get on!

Thank you Peter.

Tried with my wife's account and it works just fine - as I suspected from the very beginning - something to do with my account.

Can you please let me know who to contact to resolve?

Thanks,
Peter

Hey @peterm01.

No worries - just reach out to our Customer Support team here. They will be able to help you transfer all your saved music to your new account and then close the old one.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here if you have any further questions.

Thanks Peter, I do NOT want to close my current account - I just want my current account to be able to play those songs that were working on the Free Plan.

Suggested posts