Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to pay for premium

Unable to pay for premium

Hi, can someone pleeease get in touch with me and help me out here.

I have been a premium customer for a several years now (since the beginning?) and find myself in a situation where I am unable to pay for the service anymore. (a bit strange, not being able to give you money, right?)

Spotify only allows you to use a card to pay for the service if you are in the country that the card is registered in. I get that this is some sort of "region" validation scheme or something along those lines to do with content zoning and probably works in 99% of cases. I am, however, in that 1% who simply does not exhibit normal consumer behaviour.

I'm a national of two different places, a home in another, a company in another, bank cards in two other places and currently and a lot of the time am not physically in any of those places.

At the moment I am in Indonesia (kind of stuck here for the moment as well, covid) and I am trying to use my N26 card to pay for premium. N26 is a German bank but I am a little unsure where they claim the card to be registered, it'll be either Germany, Iceland or Spain. I've tried a number of things (vpn, etc) and simply cannot pay.

I love, love, love Spotify, it's one of the most important services I use.

I hate to think that I will have to find a new service, get used to it and build new playlists, etc. because of the company's inability to just take my money.

I have no issue with this with similar services, such as Adobe and Netflix.

What's the deal Spotify, can you help me out?

I can take a video call and verify my identity, my bank card, my nationality and anything else you want if need be.

Ulfur

6 Replies

Hi there @ulfurk,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

Unfortunately, as you understand already, a Premium account needs to be purchased while providing a country of origin and matching payment method.

Which means, you will not be able to create an account in your current country with a European payment method.

However, i see two different option here :

1. Spotify Premium, once purchased, can be used around the world without any limitations.

What i suggest you do is to reach out to a friend or a sibling in your country of origin (must match the payment method) and have them create a Premium account for you.

2. Gift Cards - if you're unable to create an account with your card, you can create one in the current place you're in and check out if gift cards are available in the local stores or for order online.

I hope this helped in any way.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Hi, so I have the same problem, I've been paying for Spotify for over a year or more with my Revolut card , I've received an email telling me that there's a failure with the payment, since my card was stolen I've changed my details and card obviously, so when I tried to update it it says that there's an error and nothing else. So I tried to pay with another card and says the same, I don't understand what is the problem here as I contacted with both banks and say that there is no problem with any of my cards, so what's going on here? Please help as I don't want to lose Spotify

Thanks for your effort OneByBoo but to be honest, no this is not a helpful solution.

I am actually very annoyed with Spotify for not being of more help or providing any support to loyal, paying customers. I've been using the service for 7-8 years now and paying for it the whole time. With that history, what do I need to prove to them at this stage? It is an absolutely ridiculously low level of service, they are effectively sending me the finger and telling me they'll be fine without me, true as that may be, it's a poor attitude.

Hi Ulfurk, I'm trying to chat with them on live chat, try it, maybe they'll help u! I'll keep u updated!

There's a live chat? Somehow I've missed that. Please do keep me posted.
If nothing else I feel I should get some sort of covid exception as I am effectively stuck in another country. I get a visa extension on the back of that and all sorts of other allowances, but not spoitfy? lol

Well yeah everything is messed up rn with the covid 19, but I think we should understand the support workers since they're on a low service, but I do understand you, because I've been trying to see what's going on, here I leave you the live chat!
https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Suggested posts