Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Will my partner's playlists be saved if I switch from Premium Family to Duo?

Will my partner's playlists be saved if I switch from Premium Family to Duo?

Hi,

I want to switch to Premium Duo now that it's available, as I have a premium family account, but it's just me and my partner using it.

I am not seeing any information as to what happens to my partner's account if I switch my subscription. Ideally I will make the switch, and will simply have a lower bill every month, with nothing changing. But, I'm concerned by the language on the signup page that says if I switch from Premium Family to Duo, it will revert my family members accounts to free accounts.

Can someone please confirm that I can make the switch to Duo without adversely affecting my partner's account?

10 Replies

Hey @stoopstoconquer, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

You can use an existing account to join or start a Premium Duo plan, keeping your own saved music and playlists. Other members of the plan also use their own accounts and keep their saved music and playlists, so you don’t need to share login details.

Yes it will say that message when you change your plan, since you're canceling your Premium Family plan to start a Premium Duo plan. When the other members' account reverts to Free, they'll also keep their saved music and playlists so they don't need to worry about losing their account (including you).

There is some more information on the Premium Duo plan here.

I hope this helps! I'll be here if you have any more questions.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So as far as I understand it - If you switch from a Family to Duo:

- the family members get kicked back to a free account

- you can then send an invite from your Duo account to that old family member

- they then can use that invite to join your Duo account and keep all of their info the same 

Is that how it works?

Hi @gilzoo

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

If you change your subscription from Premium Family to Premium Duo, all the sub-accounts will revert to the free service. However, they won't lose their music and playlists, only the downloaded content since it's a Premium feature. 

Once the change has been made, the owner will be able to invite the user they want to add to their plan. 

Keep in mind that the members will only be able to switch plans once in 12 months. 

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This is very helpful. How does this apply to this situation --

I'd like to know how this works if I have a Duo plan and downgrade to Premium (one user) AND I want the current Duo Partner (not me) to save their playlists and be the new primary member. 

Hey @basaunders929

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out 🙂 

No worries, if you're currently the owner and you change your subscription type from Premium Duo to Premium individual you won't lose any content. 

Once your current subscription expires, the sub-account will revert to the free service. They'll only lose the downloaded content, but not their music or playlists. 

If they want to subscribe as Premium Duo owners, they'll be able to do it heading over here. Once they subscribe, they'll be able to keep using the Premium features. 

If you have any other questions, just let us know!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Super - thank you for this detail!

I changed from a family plan to a duo- I signed in with the same email and lost all of my liked songs. 

Hi there @czachare,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. That seems odd. We'd like to have a closer look into this.

Can you let us know if you still see your other playlists on the account?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

please help Spotify tel me I will have to cancel duo then re submit to family but will lose all downloads????? does this mean I lose all my playlists which is over 10,000??? they say I will have to reload them again???? Surely there is another answer?

Hi @hamilton308,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

If you cancel your subscription (but your account it's not reverted to free), you'll keep your downloads. However, if the current plan (Duo) is ended and your account is reverted to free, you'll need to re download your music (Liked Songs and created playlists) once you subscribe again to the new plan. 

Remember that the Community is here for you in case you have additional questions. 

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts