Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

With spotify duo can myself and my partner listen to different playlists at the same time?

Solved!

With spotify duo can myself and my partner listen to different playlists at the same time?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

To clarify, the two members of a Duo plan can listen to their own music in their own devices at the same time, as they'd be using their own separate accounts.

Keep in mind that Premium Duo is a subscription for two people who live together at the same address, each person with their own personal account (not a shared account).

If the streaming from one account is interrupted when the other person starts listening to music, it means that they're both logged in to the same account. In this case, we suggest following the steps under Log out everywhere in this article. Then, log back in making sure you're using your own account's credentials.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

32 Replies

Hey there @rosapig,

Thanks for getting in touch with us and welcome to the Community 🙂

In short - yes, you can. You just need to have separate accounts.

Then you can follow these steps and invite your partner to the Premium Duo. After they've excepted the invite, you can both enjoy the Premium features together.

Don't worry, they won't lose their music, after they've upgraded to Premium Duo.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Stay safe! 

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hi Elena, 

thanks for getting back to me!

We both have separate Spotify accounts. We live at the same address. We have signed up to Spotify Duo – and yet we can't listen to different playlists at the same time (ie. it either plays through my device or my partner's device)

Is it possible to listen to different playlists, at the same time, on two different devices?

thanks in advance

Hey there @munitizio,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy that the upgrade worked! If you can't listen on two devices at the same time, you are probably logged in to the same account. If you log out and make sure to log back in with your personal email and password, that should do the trick. 

You can reset your password here, if either one of you doesn't remember it.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Stay safe! 

I'm having a similar problem - I set up Spotify Duo today for my husband and now whenever he starts playing music in his Spotify account it overrides whatever I'm listening to. This is very annoying! We're both logged into our separate accounts on our PCs so that's not the issue.

Hey @Lysaara,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

We'd suggest you both log out from everywhere with these steps. Then you can try again logging in with your email address/username and password. Does the issue persist?

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

The same question has been asked year after year on this support forum about the Family plans. Most of the responses fail to answer the question in a straightforward way, but after reading many threads it is clear that members of a Premium Family plan CANNOT listen to more than one stream at the same time on different devices.

So to confirm: two people can have access to the service for a combined $12.99 a month (two separate accounts under the $12.99 Premium Duo package) and they can listen to two different Spotify streams at the same time?

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

To clarify, the two members of a Duo plan can listen to their own music in their own devices at the same time, as they'd be using their own separate accounts.

Keep in mind that Premium Duo is a subscription for two people who live together at the same address, each person with their own personal account (not a shared account).

If the streaming from one account is interrupted when the other person starts listening to music, it means that they're both logged in to the same account. In this case, we suggest following the steps under Log out everywhere in this article. Then, log back in making sure you're using your own account's credentials.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

CarlosEModerator

It is perfectly clear that I am not logged into my partner's account as I have never shared my information with her nor has she. This is still an issue in 2021 and not a single person has accepted your solutions. It would be rather tedious to log out everywhere and still, that might not even solve it. Please consider looking into this. Thanks

Hey @B0BMarley,

Thanks for the post.

Could you give us a bit more information about your scenario, so that we can offer more relevant solutions.

Is your music getting interrupted? Are you loggin in on a device like a home speaker/ TV?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Both my partner and I are on the duo account. Every time he listens to songs they now are showing up under my playlists or daily mixes. We both have logged out and logged back in, my picture is showing on the account page. Why are his songs now showing up in my playlists 

Hey there @22sgmdf4y3xqxriufpje!

Thanks for joining the discussion.

This could happen if you're using smart speakers like for example Google Home, Alexa, Sonos, etc. Usually to set those up you need to pair a Spotify account to the speaker's profile and with that, the music that is played via the device will show up on the account initially registered with the speaker.  

For most speakers there are ways to avoid that by setting up voice recognition and different profiles. 

If you're not using any smart speakers with your partner, do let us know and we'll do some more digging for possible issues.

Hope this helps!

ElenaModerator

what about if its a personal device + a shared device like smart speaker, how do you avoid the override when you have Duo. Most of the advice here is based on two personal devices.

Hey @charliecurnow,

Thanks for the question.

If you want to use the smart speaker to play a different song, than the one you are playing on your personal device, the smart speaker will need a separate account linked to its app. The general rule is that one account cannot be used to play different music simultaneously on different devices. The Duo subscription will provide you with two separate accounts for the separate devices, but not with the ability to play different music with one account simultaneously on different devices.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator

We have done exactly what was said and it still doesn't work. My account says there is two separate but it doesn't work that way.

Hey @travelerusa,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you make sure you're logged in with a different account on each device? The email address of the account you're logged in on should be visible in the settings of the app.

Here you can find out how to first logout of an account, so you can make sure to later enter the email address associated with the respective Duo account - two different email addresses. 

How did that go?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

what is duo pls? i have a premium and my husband and have our own log in. We can listen to different music from our phs at the same time until we hop into his car. Then it only recognizes my phone.

Hi there @Karaka3858,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

That the car only recognize your phone shouldn't have anything to do with your Subscription plan. 

Can you confirm if your husbands phone detect the car in the Spotify app? 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have duo account. I play through amazon echo, on my account and the other user plays through Sonos and their account. whenever I play my Spotify account it over rides the Sonos and switches it off. we have Both logged out of each account and re logged in but this still happens

Hey @clairbie_,

Thanks for reaching out.

We highly suspect that your Spotify account is connected in both the Amazon Alexa app and the Sonos app. Please use this guide to remove it from Sonos and add your husbands Spotify account there so you can play music simultaneously.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care,

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts