Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Won't accept visa gift card payment?

Won't accept visa gift card payment?

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

North America

Device

HP Laptop to ask, but I listen on a motorola phone

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

This is kind of confusing, so I feel like I need to explain a little.

Every month, I use a different vanilla gift card to pay for Spotify. I don't have a credit card since I'm still a student. I always have problems with getting Spotify to accept my gift card. I always buy a visa card so I can pay for everything else I need, and I can never find Spotify gift cards where I live.

I tried hooking it up with PayPal and I tried the trick where you open it in incognito and reenter everything. I tried waiting a few hours to try again and then I tried waiting multiple days. I tried getting a different gift card, but it still doesn't work. I don't know what to do.

Sorry if this wastes anyone's time, or if someone has already asked. I'm going to continue looking for a solution.

12 Replies

Hey there @pkokei,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome!

Keep in mind that in order to be able to use a card to purchase a Spotify subscription, it's necessary that the card meets the requirements listed in this support article. 

If you're still having issues after this, we'd suggest reaching out directly to your payment provider for further help. 

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here.

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Found out that the reason it won't accept it is that I needed to make an in-store purchase, which seems extremely stupid to me. Now I have to add extra to my card every time.

Do all type of gift cards need to make an in-store purchase for Spotify or is it specially to your card?

Hey @Musiclistener7,

Thanks for joining the thread!
Could you let us know what it exactly is that you want to achieve :?
What kind of card are you trying to use and for which subscription type?

We'll be on the lookout for your response 🙂
Cheers!

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I am having the exact same issue with the payment option too. I’m using Freemium at the moment, but want to get the 3 month offer before it runs out. Issue is that it’s not accepting my prepaid Visa gift card as a payment option, even though you can use them for Spotify Premium payment. A fast reply would be very helpful.

Hey @danegordo

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

In order to pay for the Premium subscription, you need to use a payment method  which meets the following requirements. Payment methods vary across markets - you can find the ones available in your market here. Additionally, keep in mind that most of our offers can be only activated by using a recurring payment method.

On another note, we'd recommend waiting 24 hours from your last attempt before trying again to see if that makes the difference. 

If you're still having issues afterwards, could you send us a screenshot of the error message you're getting? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert image option in the post editor. Make sure not to send any private info. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Okay so I had the same problem and I looked into and I found that you can buy digital Spotify gift cards with Visa cards and use those. 

I tried to use a vanilla gift card but it won’t let me and I don’t understand why

Hey @MirMir1,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

In order for the payment to work, your card must meet the requirements mentioned by @Eni above. If you're having issues, it's best to reach out to the card issuer.

We hope this helps.

MihailYModerator

What do you mean in-store purchase?

I’m having the same problem I’m unable to use the prepaid visa to resubscribe. The card has been verified and registered and Spotify still will not accept it as payment. Spotify doesn’t even show up on the transaction history or anything.  It seems misleading to say you accept this form of payment and don’t actually accept it.

Hey there,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

A prepaid Visa gift card is not a payment method you can use for a recurring subscription.

The workaround to use such a card is to find a retailer that is selling Spotify gift cards and buy a Spotify gift card with the Visa gift card. You can then activate the Spotify gift card to get Premium.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Suggested posts