Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Buy a $60 Spotify eGift for $47.50" - "Not applicable to Residents of Quebec"

"Buy a $60 Spotify eGift for $47.50" - "Not applicable to Residents of Quebec"

My Question or Issue

I saw this on eBay, and the seller is paypal.digital.gifts, so it is legitimate, not a scam: "Buy a $60 Spotify eGift for $47.50 - Email Delivery - CA Only".

Then I saw the terms and conditions: "Redeemable only for full price standalone Premium subscription months via spotify.com and cannot be redeemed for discounted or group subscriptions. Not applicable to Residents of Quebec."

Again with the special treatment if you live in Quebec...

6 Replies

Hey @zenwho,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

Due to the Consumer Protection Act which is active in Quebec, Spotify is unable to offer most trials and offers they offer elsewhere in the world. 

Hope this clears things up!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes, Quebec consumer protection is used as an excuse in such situations.  It's strange, though, that I could buy a Netflix eGift card from the same seller on eBay and use it without any problems or restrictions on my account here in Quebec. I guess streaming video and music are completely different categories for consumer protection?

To be honest, it seems like Spotify is the only company that does not want to waste time/energy coming up with promotions that fit the unique Quebec market.

Hey @zenwho,

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Unfortunately, due to legal reasons beyond our control, it's not possible to offer residents of Quebec products with a price that changes over time. This includes:

• Student Discount
  • Offers (including holiday offers)
  • Premium Trials

Having said that, we are pleased to say that a discounted annual subscription is currently available for Quebec residents. You pay the equivalent of 10 months of Premium and get 12 months in return.

You can purchase these from one of the following places:

• PayPal - as digital e-cards
  • Ebay - as physical cards & digital e-cards
  • Shoppers Drug - as physical cards
  • Costco - as physical cards & digital e-cards

We hope that's a viable alternative for you! Let us know if you have any other questions regarding this - we'll be more than happy to answer them 🙂

@Peter

Having said that, we are pleased to say that a discounted annual subscription is currently available for Quebec residents. You pay the equivalent of 10 months of Premium and get 12 months in return.

So far, I have not been able to find this offer anywhere.

Can you provide specific links to this offer?

Hey @zenwho.

Thanks for reaching out again, and sorry for the late response!

It turns out that the only place where Spotify gift cards are currently available for purchase in Canada is in Shoppers Drug as physical gift cards. The other options will become available soon, but we can't say when. Apologies for the initial confusion!

Hope that clears things up. Let us know if you have any other questions regarding this 🙂

FWIW, I've spent the past several hours trying to purchase a gift card from the US for someone living in Quebec, Canada. I can easily buy Apple Gift Cards, which can be used for Apple Music, on Apple's Canadian website, or from Best Buy Canada, and other retailer. Also, Apple Music does not exclude Quebec residents from the first 3 months free subscription for Apple Music.

Suggested posts