Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

registering from premium while traveling

Solved!

registering from premium while traveling

Hi there,

I'm in Sweden for 2-3 months (for work), but I am Canadian and that's where my credit cards are registered and where my billing address is located.

I am trying to register for premium, but because I am currently geographically located in Sweden, I get the Swedish rates plus I will get hosed by the bank when paying a foreign currency. I guess I could use a VPN to appear to be geographically located in Canada (though perhaps spotify checks for that), but that's not my intent. I just want to register as a Canadian currently abroad.

Once I punch it my credit card and the billing address is seen to be a Canadian one, will spotify adjust the rates? Probably not.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for getting back to me @stingoh!

Great news, actually: You can change your country of your account anytime, anywhere! This wonderful article from the folks over at Spotify explains it more.

Change_Country_Premium_tw.png

Cheers,
Tim

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @stingoh,

Thanks for posting to the Community! I hope you're enjoying your stay in Sweden; I've heard it's a beautiful country 🙂

If I'm understanding what you're saying, you shouldn't need to worry. If I remember correctly, Spotify Premium costs the same in every country, just changed to the local currency (give or take minor tax variations). Spotify should recognise that you're Canadian, and you should be charged accordingly.

As long as your country settings are set to Canada, you should be able to subscribe to Spotify Premium.

All that being said, this is an interesting little case you've got, and I'm not too experienced with this sort of stuff, so I might be wrong. I've left this thread with some others who might be able to correct me if I'm wrong with anything, or if I've interpreted your message wrong.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi @itspugle!

Yes it's quite beautiful here!

I cannot change my country as you suggested since my IP is detected to be Swedish and my current country is Swedish (since I created the account today, while in Sweden).

The price difference is not a huge deal. I will adjust my country when I next am in Canada!

Marked as solution

Thanks for getting back to me @stingoh!

Great news, actually: You can change your country of your account anytime, anywhere! This wonderful article from the folks over at Spotify explains it more.

Change_Country_Premium_tw.png

Cheers,
Tim

Hi @itspugle,

Unfortunately you can't change your country to one that you're not currently in (by IP address geolocation), as noted in the instructions:

no_country_for_swede_men.png

Which is okay. I will wait till I'm in Canada again.

Dear people,

I have the same problem and really need my playlists offline for a workshop tonight!

I want to change the country because my premium is not working while I am traveling, however, I can't click on the country-thing.

Any help is welcome ❤️

Knipsel.PNG

Hey @Lore21!

Don't worry, help's arrived! 

This issue is currently being lodged as an ongoing issue over here, at the Spotify Community Ongoing Issues. Feel free to add your note(s) about this over there, where it'll be used to have this investigated!

Thanks,

Tim

Suggested posts