Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

2021 - how do we clear Recently Played songs from our history?

Solved!

2021 - how do we clear Recently Played songs from our history?

Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand

Device

(Desktop, Samsung 8+)

Operating System

(Android Q, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

I feel as this isn't being addressed anymore. My husband just installed Google Home across the house and linked my Spotify account without my knowledge.

Turns out my kids have now listened to every thrash song under the sun and all I want is to delete this junk from my history - I do not want anything suggesting Jason Derulo or freaking Chainsmokers, for goodness sake. 

How do I remove the history altogether? I have blocked these muppets off so hoping it won't play again. But a history cleanup is a necessary feature.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @moonjelly

Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to the Community. 

We understand where you're coming from. As @Jeremy mentioned, there's currently an idea that you can vote for if this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right folks. 

Don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey there @tatti,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community.

There's currently not possible to clear your recently played songs from your history. If you continue to listen to the songs you like, the other songs will soon disappear.

However- there's currently an idea about this. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Man, why do you guys keep making Spotify worse. This is a basic function. Allow us to clear the dang list.

Hey there @EBeth8497,

Thank you for your reply and feedback in this thread.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

You want to improve Spotify? Well here's how you can: LET US DELETE SONGS WE HAVE RECENTLY PLAYED.

Seriously guys, I have no idea why you took this feature away. I click on a song accidentally and have no intention of ever listening to again but suddenly Spotify thinks it's all I ever want to listen to again for the rest of my life and it's incredibly annoying that I can't do anything about it.

Why would you ever remove this feature? I can only suspect shady reasons. Bring it back, or I might have to give up Spotify forever, and I seriously don't want to do that, but since you keep making things worse, I might have no other choice.

Give us the ability to clear history NOW.

Marked as solution

Hey @moonjelly

Thanks for reaching out about this, and welcome to the Community. 

We understand where you're coming from. As @Jeremy mentioned, there's currently an idea that you can vote for if this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right folks. 

Don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

Cheers.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm actually feeling emotional seeing this post being re-hashed again. 😁

It's so frustrating to hear that you understand where people are coming from, and then direct them to vote for something that has been up there since 2019. It was already possible to remove recently played items -- and Spotify took this feature away for whatever reasons.

Since Spotify runs on algorithms, if a friend sends an artist or song to check out and I'm not a fan of it, that music is now factored into the algorithm as something I've listened to. Removal allowed for my mixes, etc. to stay clear of items I absolutely would not want. In addition (and mentioned by others above), sometimes accidental plays happen.

I really hope bringing this feature back is more than seriously considered!

Suggested posts