Announcements

Algorithm broken and strange "Listen Along" behavior

Algorithm broken and strange "Listen Along" behavior

When starting radio stations, Spotify has constantly and consistently been putting the same group of songs/artists into all stations no matter how unrelated they are to the track/album/playlist used to start the radio. Moreover, when listening along with one of my friends via Discord, these songs are appearing in her radio stations that are even more distant from the songs in question.

What in the world is going on here? The former circumstance I kinda get but it's honestly somewhat unreasonable as it creates a situation where no matter how hard I try to get away from these songs, the algorithm itself is keeping me from retraining without manually searching music for who knows how long. It's not that I don't like the songs, but we're on the road to me not liking them if I don't stop constantly hearing them. The latter situation is wholly unacceptable though, the entire point of choosing to Listen Along over initiating a Group Session is that the other person is fully in control of song selection. We should not, for any reason, be hearing any songs associated solely with my account that were not explicitly selected by her (added to queue, or a station started from one of my playlists from her account, etc.) in any algorithm based listening experience initiated from her account. Doing so completely defeats the purpose of letting someone else take the wheel and is honestly kind of creepy.

1 Reply

Re: Algorithm broken and strange "Listen Along" behavior

Hey there @rx78-ii,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

That sounds odd indeed. Could you try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in? Make sure to clear the Play Queue too.

If that doesn't do the trick, try running a clean reinstall of the app by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, could you try on a different device and let us know if that makes any difference? We'd also like to know the make, model, and OS version of the devices you try.

A short video or screen recording of the issue would also come in handy.

Keep us posted. We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

SUGGESTED POSTS