Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

An invited collaborator can't add songs

An invited collaborator can't add songs

Spotify Premium

USA

Macbook and iPhone

I have a public playlist that I invited collaborators too. Two of those collaborators were able to successfully add songs, however the other two aren't able to add songs and can't even find my playlist when following me. On my end, none of my playlists even show as collaborative, and that isn't an option in the dropdown menus either. I CAN invite collaborators though.

30 Replies

I have exactly the same problem. Started just about a month ago (Premium account, Sweden, Macbook pro, iPhone). 

Hey there! We've recently revamped playlists, making it possible that only specific collaborators can modify the playlists and adding more control to the playlist owner. There's more info about this in our Status post here.

As such, now pretty much every personal plalyist can be made collaborative so the menu options have changed a bit, which seems to be what you're experiencing.

Adding a collaborator grants them access to modify this playlist and you should be able to see who currently can do that and restrict access as well. If you're not seeing the people you mention in the list of collaborators in the playlist, most likely they didn't join as such on time. The link to do so that owners share is valid only for 24hrs, so you might need to generate a new one so they can join.

If you DO see them in the list, and they still can't find the playlist, they're most likely logging in to a different account than the one that was added as a collaborator and they should check that that they're using the correct account.

Hope this clears things up, we'll be here if you need any further help!

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The person is on the correct account and on my end it says they are a collaborator but they can still not add songs. Is there something else that could be wrong?

Hey @caetlin1,

Thanks for the reply.

In order for us to find out what exactly is going on on the side of the collaborator, who can't add songs to the playlist, would it be possible for him to post a video of his experience in this thread? This way we can find a quick solution.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Yeah I'm having this problem. I can see the songs only in one account. The second account could only see 1 song and the title of the playlist. Logged out of both accounts and logged back in. Nothing. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 6.25.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 6.30.23 AM.png

Hey there @zillenial

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community. 

Could you let us know if the same happens if you log in to the second account from a different device?

If the issue persists. we suggest that you log out and then log back in to both accounts twice in a row to see if that makes the difference. 

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yeah I'm having a similar issue, however there are no icons assigned to who added which songs so I'm not even sure if it's converted itself to a collaborative playlist yet.

I have shared the "invite collaborators" link from my android to two different accounts. Both were opened during the 24hr period and via the Spotify desktop app, not a browser.

The first photo is from my perspective

The second is the result of opening the invite collaborators link from an alternative account I signed up with a different email, and does not have premium.

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 4.00.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 4.01.41 PM.png

Hey there @jenniferjemimagrace 

Thanks for reaching out.

It's actually quite funny that I should run into your post today. I tried to join a collaborative playlist using the desktop app yesterday and I  couldn't. 

I'm yet to confirm this but I think the link should be opened on a mobile device.

So why don't you give it another try and see if the collaborator still cannot be added.

Thanks  

TaylithSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is a bug that is still happening. My users cannot edit, add, or join collaborative playlists. When will this bug get fixed?

Hi there @spencerthayer,

Thank you for your reply. We're sorry about this. Let's take a closer look together.

To start with, can you confirm if the person you invited accessed the link within 24 hours?

On another note, can you have the invite person try to join the playlist from a different deivce?

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

revamped?

or more like spotify took a system that was working and broke it 

i used to use these collaborative playlists as a dj, to let my followers add song requests

it was perfect.

now the new system is uninquitive, awkward ,and buggy it doesnt work !

most of the time people tell me they cant add songs and we cant solve it...

Hello, I have several playlists that I've set to Collaborative ("Collaborative playlist" is checked, and the icon shows up to the right of the playlist. However, when I hit "..." in the playlist, there is no option to "Invite collaborators". There is a Share > Copy

link to playlist option, not sure if this is the same. This is the same for each of the playlists I've marked as collaborative. This is the same whether I use the Mac desktop client, or the web client.

Hey there @leftspin

Thanks for joining the discussion.

We're still working on rolling out the ''Invite collaborators'' button to all users and lists, so it's possible that in your app you still see the previous option to just turn on 'Collaborative Playlist', on playlists created before the we added the options to manage collaborators. For those lists you should still be able to share the link and get your friends to add songs, they just need to make sure the list is added to their Library. 

Does this work well for you? If you have trouble, could you let us know your Spotify version and send us a screenshot of how the lists look in your app?

ElenaModerator

yeah = i have the same but it doesn't work

We’re having the same problem. Invited collaborator only seemed to be able to add songs via the mobile app. 

apparently he just tried the old ‘turn it off and on again’ on his laptop and it fixed it for the desktop version.  

Hey folks,

Thank you for keeping in contact. 

@mdiggins, we're glad to know that everything is working fine on desktop after the workaround. We appreciate the time you took reporting the issue and sharing what works for you. Hopefully, this tip will help other users too.

@brontone, we'd recommend trying the process previously mentioned. In case the issue persists, it would be great if you could include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running. If possible, send us also a screenshot of how the lists look in your app to keep investigating this further.

In case you need anything else, remember that we're just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator

Hi @OscarDC,

Still having this problem. Have tried it from different accounts. The only way they can add a song to the playlist is if they open the collaboration link on their phone. Is there any plan to fix the desktop app which seems to be the culprit? I had 7 different people try to do this and the only way it worked was through the mobile device. Thank you.

Kathy

Hey @kbeecat

Thank you for your reply in this thread!

Are you getting some kind of error message? Could you please send us a screenshot as @OscarDC mentioned so we can get a better understanding of how does this look on your side? 

In the meantime, would you mind trying the workaround that @mdiggins suggested earlier? 

Do not forget also that the people you're inviting need to access the link within 24hours.  

If the workaround doesn't do it for you, let us know what device and Spotify version you're using when experiencing this behavior. This way we can take a closer look.

Let us know how you get on.

LyubkaModerator

My friends collaborating also can't add songs. How to fix this??

Suggested posts