Step 1

NEXT STEP

Artist listed twice on local files

Solved!

Artist listed twice on local files

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I recently moved to a new laptop, which included moving my mp3 collection. I use Spotify to both stream songs and play my owned mp3 library. but on the new computer, for some reason, many of my local files are listed with the artist twice, as shown. The actual tags on the mp3s definitely only have the artist listed once.

RRXyG4eGMw.png

This is a problem because my playlists include the files as they were originally read, with the artist only listed once. The spotify install on this computer doesn't recognize these files as the same track, so the playlist entries show as unavailable. I have thousands of local files and I'm definitely not fixing all my playlists by hand.

How do I make Spotify read these files properly?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

update: this turned out to be because the mp3s' metadata was corrupted somehow. when i tried to edit it in windows explorer, it would just vanish and need to be re-entered. once i re-entered all the right metadata it fixed itself. go figure

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey there @Skaramuccia,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

You can try the following:

• Install the Desktop app from our website, instead of the MS store or vise versa.
  • Edit the metadata of one or two tracks and check if the change is reflected in the Spotify app.
  • Clear the local file cache on your new computer.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

update: this turned out to be because the mp3s' metadata was corrupted somehow. when i tried to edit it in windows explorer, it would just vanish and need to be re-entered. once i re-entered all the right metadata it fixed itself. go figure

Hey @Skaramuccia,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

We are happy to see that you have resolved your issue and now everything works as expected 🙂 In case you need more info on Local files, over here we have a nice article about it and we hope you'll find it useful.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts