Solved!

Can't add sources for Local Play

Duo

Premium

Canada

Device

Mac

Hi,

I want to add some of my own music in my Spotify but, even if I have it in my computer, I can't transfer it in my Spotify. After reading on it online, I found out that maybe Spotify detected the file as being "Illegal", which is why it can't be transferred. But what is considered "Illegal" ? I tried some converters online and passing some of those files trough Premiere to see if it would work but it clearly doesn't...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @jopsong

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

To check which local file types are considered illegal or supported by the Spotify app you can head to this help article. Keep in mind some tracks may be protected in restricted formats.

Tip: You can install QuickTime on your desktop to allow most of these tracks to be played on Spotify.

Also, it's always a good idea to perform a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app on your Mac to make sure you start afresh with the app on the device and get the latest app version. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @jopsong

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

To check which local file types are considered illegal or supported by the Spotify app you can head to this help article. Keep in mind some tracks may be protected in restricted formats.

Tip: You can install QuickTime on your desktop to allow most of these tracks to be played on Spotify.

Also, it's always a good idea to perform a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app on your Mac to make sure you start afresh with the app on the device and get the latest app version. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.  

But its now not possible to download wuicktime for mac, any other programs that can be used?

Hi @heddafw,

Thanks for posting on the Community and welcome. 

If you can't install Quicktime on your computer, just make sure your local files are compatible with Spotify (you shouldn't need another program to listen to your tunes).

Keep in mind that Spotify supports .mp3, .mp4 and .m4p (unless it contains video). 

Lastly, we suggest checking if the local files aren't DMR (Digital Rights Management) protected. In case you're importing your songs from iTunes, you can check if your tunes are DRM protected tracks here.

Remember the Community is here if you need anything else.  

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts