Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Community][Discover] Christmas Music Ends After Christmas

[Community][Discover] Christmas Music Ends After Christmas

I searched for Christmas music around the holidays and we streamed a LOT of Christmas music the entire month of December. But now my Discover Weekly is filled with holiday music. STILL in February. Spotify needs to add to their Discover algorithm that holiday music isn't added at all, or that it gets removed from the algorithm after, say, January 1st. I don't want to have to keep clicking SKIP or fighting with Christmas music all the way into February. It makes me not want to use Spotify for holiday specific music.

10 Replies

Hey @skipclark,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community. We moved your post from Ideas to the help boards as it's content fits better here.

We understand where you're coming from and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. Since these song recommendations are based on your listening history and can't be edited, we'd suggest that you continue listening to more of your favorite music in order to get better recommendations.

Additionally, there's a feature called Private Session that prevents your suggestions from being affected by this type of music. You can read more about it here.

We hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I was literally told by your customer service team to add this to your Ideas board. It’s insulting that you “moved it to the Help Boards." You guys need to LISTEN to your customers. I HAVE been listening to my Spotify - I’ve been skipping the Christmas music - but it is STILL populating based on my listening in December. I’m not asking you to edit my suggestions - I’m telling you that you need to adjust your algorithm to understand that people listen to Christmas music in December but don’t want to hear it in January. Especially not in February.

Figure it out. I have other places I can stream music. I’m already annoyed and frustrated by your stance with Joe Rogan - I don’t need Christmas music in February or rude emails telling me I posted something in the wrong place. Especially AFTER it was YOUR team that told me to post it there.

Read the suggestion - maybe actually process it - and understand that your algorithm is populating Christmas music in my Discover Weekly playlist all the way into February. That doesn’t make sense. If you actually read m concern maybe you would understand that.

Hi there @skipclark,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I’m finding this mid January. REALLY hope it doesn’t continue into feb!! If there is a private setting, could there be a Christmas setting too? 

I searched for help with this also. I absolutely HATE the fact that I "liked" some Christmas albums in Drc and now STILL have Christmas songs playing. Shouldn't have to go through and remove manually from Playlists. 

This is absolutely frustrating. Could you for example label songs as Christmas/non-Christmas and then let people decide when they want to listen to or see these songs in recommendations. Shouldn't be impossible to code.

GOOD MORNING... perhaps you'd like to listen to "CHRISTMAS CRACKERS" OR "EASY CHRISTMAS" - the first two suggestions right from my own home page. ITS MID-MARCH. NO. PLEASE SORT IT. They're already excluded from my taste profile. I rarely stream holiday music, yet it's constantly promoted as a viable option—the first option, 1 and 2 even. No, thank you. Please fix. 

Hey Spotify!! Are you guys gonna do anything about this??! Seems like I'm not the only one frustrated by this!! And I'm STILL getting served up Christmas music in my mixes and it's MARCH!!!! Seriously - you really need to figure this one out - it just can't be that hard.

Good afternoon. Is there an optimum time frame to upload new Christmas-themed music for consideration in your Holiday playlists? 

I have been complaining about this every year. My Discover Weekly list is honestly the only reason I started paying for a subscription. This year I specifically asked @SpotifyCares on X how to prevent this from happening again. They gave the same advice - to open a private session. I used private session every single time I played Christmas music in December and my DW list has been filled with nothing (really, literally nothing) but Christmas music. So...private session does NOT work. The irony is that I have actually TRIED to influence my DW list and it was a bust. 

Suggested posts