NEXT STEP

What's up with this new desktop UI?

Solved!

What's up with this new desktop UI?

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

I don't know where else to post this, but the new desktop UI is terrible. I'm running version 1.2.7.1277.g2b3ce637 and have tried the methods to revert the UI I've found elsewhere in the community (like changing prefs file, which I had to dig for), but none have worked.

The UI is just the complete opposite of what I'd want on desktop- very noncompact, difficult for no reason, and generally looks to be modeled more for phones than for a desktop.

If anyone knows a way to revert the update, please let me know.

312 Replies

I've had issues with the web player since around 2015, when they shifted the layout from being very PC friendly to a more mobile friendly version (My artists haven't been listed alphabetically since because spotify took that feature away!). This being said, I've been using it for a very long time now and, while it's had some very bad iterations, this is the worst it's ever been. This new layout seems like it was made by a child. Consolidating the entirety of your entire library to a single, small tab? Insane! Awful decision! Not to mention how it makes everything look worse than it did before, and forces you to minimize album art if you even want to look at your library. I really do wish there was any alternative to Spotify, something with as in depth and vast a catalogue, because I would use it in a heartbeat. Spotify is just awful

Its actually**bleep** **bleep**. I swear I can be a better UI Designer than these monkeys. Paying an app for an ugly design. cant even see the friends activity as well. Change this trash, Spotify. 

Or at least give us some prototypes for us to choose instead.

It would be nice if someone from Spotify could comment. Are we throwing this feedback to deaf or blind people?

I can live with this Windows app design, but please remove Tiktok view from Android and add bell function to Windows app instead.

This UI is absolute trash. I'm paying a family plan for this and I can barely navigate. The images are way too big, it's designed for a phone on a computer. I'm sat on a computer for a reason, so I'm *not* listening on my phone. Reduce the text size and keep it without pictures exactly like it was it worked perfectly fine and now it's ****ed.

My Spotify just updated to 1.2.9.743.g85d9593d for Windows as of April 24th, 2023, and I agree, this update is not enjoyable.

It's incredibly impractical to scroll through all my "stuff" within the sidebar, and even with buttons for just playlists and albums, I have so many albums saved it's such a pain to scroll through everything within this tiny field.

The way this type of interface is has been similarly implemented on mobile in the past is fine and tolerable--because a smartphone is a much smaller screen.

A desktop version should allow you utilize the whole space offered. That is why I use the desktop version of Spotify way more often than the mobile, there was more detail and room to navigate. There really is no logical reason to no longer be able to open up your library within the main field.

Overall, the previous version was much more aesthetically pleasing and easy to organize and navigate through my music. Now it is simply clunky and overcrowded. I'd have better luck switching to another program at this point 😕

I really hope Spotify decides to roll back this update and revert to the previous version. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Are you talking about the new Your Library sidebar on the left side?

Here's how to get it as close as possible to the old sidebar:

In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter.

Then, in the sort drop down select "Custom order". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to reorganize your playlists (move playlists and folders like before)

Your current preference will be remembered each time you start up the Spotify desktop app.

If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar, go to the Spotify app Settings ---> Library ---> and select "use compact library".

You can also drag the left sidebar to different sizes, as well as fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Seriously. The UI is horrible. Put it back. NOW.

The latest version of the desktop app is 1.2.9 or some number around there.

To me it sounds like you are using and older version of the desktop app. There have been many fixes in the latest versions, so please make sure to update your Spotify desktop app to the latest version. It will usually automatically update to the latest version.

Here's how to get the new Your Library sidebar as possible to the old sidebar:

In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter.

Then, in the sort drop down select "Custom order". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to reorganize your playlists (move playlists and folders like before)

Your current preference will be remembered each time you start up the Spotify desktop app.

If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar, go to the Spotify app Settings ---> Library ---> and select "use compact library".

You can also drag the left sidebar to different sizes, as well as fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Ya, I can't even access the home tab or search for new music either. I'm hoping its just broken and they'll fix it.

Edit: So I was able to force it to update which fixed the home and search tab not being there. I have the desktop app downloaded through the Microsoft Store. If you also have it downloaded through the Microsoft Store just go to the app on the store and hit the update button under the open button.

The latest version it updated to is:

Spotify for Windows
1.2.9.743.g85d9593d

SPOTIFY DOESN'T UNDERSTAND CONSENT!

It's absolutely awful. It's confusing and everything looks super zoomed in, on top of that it's downright ugly. Even using the 'compact' version for this update is awful. Revert or I'm gonna end up switching services! 

JUST HOW MANY AFFIRMATION SESSIONS DID IT TAKE BEFORE COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT WAS GOING WORK? WHO EVER TOLD YOU THAT INTERFACE WASN'T GARBAGE WAS LYING TO YOU. TF WERE YOU THINKING?

PUT IT BACK.

EDIT: actually.. it's not that bad, I guess... but I'm trying to work and you totally f'd up my flow. That's a change people need to opt into. Seems Spotify could use a lesson in consent!

actual eye strain

i hate rounded corners

it discomforts my eyes, idk how they could look at this thing and think that it looks pleasing

Settings > Library > Use compact library layout.

compact library option helps a lil bit with the library but that doesnt change the fact that the whole design of everything just looks so cluttered now ... i think its the fact that they turned every section into a rounded corner square, its just not good.  

just the fact that everything is separated by a line now ... these weird distracting black lines are always in my peripherals now when i look at spotify and its bugging me and im sure its bugging lots of others 

spotify's been making weird updates that nobody enjoys or asked for as of late and idk why

they could at LEAST have an option to disable it, right? they can't seriously just be looking away at all these people yelling at them to revert  it

Suggested posts