Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop: New Your Library sidebar

Spotify is introducing a new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app and Web Player.

The new Your Library sidebar improves navigation and makes it easier and faster to collect and retrieve all types of content, bringing new features to desktop that you're already familiar with in the mobile app. The new sidebar is also more customizable than before to meet different preferences.

You can read more info about the new desktop experience in the Spotify Newsroom post:

This thread is your go-to destination for learning what's new, asking questions, getting help for issues you might have, as well as to share your feedback about the new Your Library sidebar for desktop. Also, do you have any tips for other users on how you are using the new Your Library sidebar? We'd love to hear them.

What's new in the Your Library sidebar?

• See your entire collection and all of the content types (not just playlists)

• Filters for your collection (Playlists, Artists, Albums, Podcasts) that can be combined with other filters (By you, By Spotify, Downloaded)

• Sort options for your collection (Recents, Recently Added, Alphabetical, Creator, Custom Order)

• Chosen filters and sort options will be remembered in the sidebar across restarts of the desktop app

• Search through your collection in the sidebar

• Pinned library items to find your favorites, faster – current limit is 4 (Playlists, Playlist Folders, Artists, Albums, Podcasts)

• Art covers are now shown in the sidebar

• Compact library layout (no art covers) is available as an option in Settings to increase content density

• Dedicated + (plus) button to create Playlists and Playlist Folders

• Flexible Sizing: A collapsed library view (with only art covers) to maximize the browsing area, a regular width view, and an expanded view for more focused library management and curation. (you can also drag to customize the size)

• In the expanded library view, you have options for list view, compact view, and a grid view. The list and compact views show you more details in 2 columns, Date Added and Last Played, and the grid view allows you to see larger art covers.

• Playlist Folders can still be expanded into the sidebar in a tree view, and now when you click on them, the sidebar only shows the Playlist Folder and what's inside for a more focused view.

• Menu option to move a playlist to a folder (with search)

Note: The Your Library sidebar experience will be the same for the most part in the Web Player. However, the Web Player does not support all of the features found in the desktop app. To be able to use all of the features, you can download the desktop app right here.

Tips to get started:

If you need a familiar experience to help you get started with the new Your Library sidebar, here's how to get it as close as possible to the old sidebar that previously only showed playlists:

• In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter at the top.

• Then, in the drop down menu select "Custom Order" under "Sort by". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to move your playlists and folders like before.

Sidebar Tips.png

• Your currently chosen filters and sort options will be remembered across restarts of the desktop app.

• If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar (no art covers), go to the drop down menu and at the bottom of the menu click on "Compact" under "View as".

Desktop Sidebar Compact View.png

Compact Layout.png

• Flexible Sizing: You can drag the Your Library sidebar to different sizes. Fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button at the top, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading to see only art covers.

• At the top, you can scroll through the different filters with your mouse scroll wheel for faster navigation when the sidebar is set to a smaller size. 

Walkthrough of the basics:

Sidebar List:

You can now see your entire collection and all of the content types (not just playlists) in the sidebar list. At the top, click on the filters to filter the content you want to see, and click on the drop down menu to change the sort order or view of the list. To create a new Playlist or Playlist Folder, click on the + (plus) button at the top right corner of the sidebar. To search through your collection, click on the search button.

Sidebar List Options.png

Filter Options:

At the top, click on the filters to filter the content you want to see. You can scroll through the different filters with your mouse scroll wheel for faster navigation when the sidebar is set to a smaller size. 

To remove the filter, click on the X or the currently selected filter and then choose another filter to see another type of content. Having no filter selected will show all types of content mixed in the list.

• Playlists
  • Artists
  • Albums
  • Podcasts & Shows
  • These can be combined with other filters: By you, By Spotify, Downloaded

Sort Options:

At the top, click on the drop down menu to change the sort order of the list under "Sort by".

• Recents
  • Recently Added
  • Alphabetical
  • Creator

When the "Playlists" filter is selected, you have the option to see your playlists in your own custom order.

• Custom Order

When the "Podcasts & Shows" filter is selected, you have the following option:

• Recently Updated

View Options:

At the top, click on the drop down menu to change the view of the list under "View as".

• Compact (view text only without art covers)
  • List
  • Grid (bigger art covers)

Flexible Sizing:

You can hover over and click on the right edge of the sidebar to drag it to your preferred width. You can also fully expand the sidebar by clicking the arrow button at the top, and fully collapse the sidebar by clicking on the "Your Library" heading to see only art covers.

In the expanded library view, you have options for list view, compact view, and a grid view. The list and compact views show you more details in 2 columns, Date Added and Last Played, and the grid view allows you to see larger art covers.

Expanded Library.png

FAQ:

This section will answer your frequently asked questions and will be updated with the latest answers.

Related help articles on the support website:

Your Library   • Sort and filter   • Keyboard Shortcuts

Can I view the Your Library page in the main browsing area like before?

• Unfortunately, the old Your Library page in the main browsing area is being discontinued with the release of the new Your Library sidebar. You can adjust the size of the Your Library sidebar to be bigger and you can also enable the "grid view" if you would like to see bigger art covers.

How do I see only my playlists in the sidebar like I used to be able to, I can't drag and move my playlists or folders anymore?

• In the left "Your Library" sidebar, click on the "Playlists" filter at the top.

Then, in the sort options drop down menu select "Custom Order". You will then see your previous playlist order and be able to move your playlists and folders like before.

Your currently chosen filters and sort options will be remembered across restarts of the desktop app.

I don't want to see art cover images in the sidebar, how do I turn them off?

• If you would like to only see text in the Your Library sidebar (no art covers), go to the drop down menu and at the bottom of the menu click on "Compact" under "View as".

How do I get the album art to expand in the bottom left corner like before? When I try to expand the album art, it opens the Now Playing View sidebar to the right.

• Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. When you expand the album art in the bottom left corner of the app, it will no longer hover over the Your Library sidebar. Instead, the new right sidebar will open up. You can resize the Now Playing View sidebar to your preferred size.

You can read more information about this by going here.

How do I play or shuffle play a Playlist Folder now? (I don't see dedicated pages with play / shuffle options anymore)

• Right click on a Playlist Folder and select the "Play" option. To shuffle play, make sure to turn on the shuffle mode first before selecting the "Play" option in the right click menu.

How do I get to my Local Files now?

Then, in the sort drop down select "Custom Order".

The "Local Files" playlist will be near the top of the list under your pinned items (if any).

Where can I give my feedback about the new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app?

• We welcome your feedback about this change. The best way to share your feedback is to comment here in this thread.
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Top Answer
MihailY

Hey everyone,

Thank you for participating in this thread and sharing your feedback about the new Your Library experience on desktop.

Before anything else, we want to assure you that we're reviewing your comments and forwarding each individual user's feedback to the relevant team here at Spotify.

We'd also like to address some of the most common issues we've noticed being mentioned here:

My playlists are out of order after the update (mentioned by @Sylis_ca@oauo@sergioro, and others)

• As outlined in Matt's comment here, you should be able to see the original order by selecting Playlists - Custom Order in the filters section of your sidebar. Once this is selected, you can rearrange your playlists in whatever way you like.
  • Please note that you can't reorder Liked Songs, Your Episodes or Local Files - they will always be at the top.
  • You can "pin" items at the top of the list above these items though - this is currently limited to 4 items.

I'm unable to move playlists/folders out of a folder (pointed out by @RectangleSquare@Hencraft@thisisgok, and others)

• To move playlists and folders, they don't have to be sorted by Custom Order, but it may make it easier to understand where it's being moved to.
  • You can open a folder using the arrow to the right of the folder. This can make it easier to drag something out into a new location.
  • You can also drag a folder/playlist and hover over the sidebar back button/arrow (at top of Library) and this will update the visible structure, allowing you to place it in the desired position.

The Library sidebar has limited width

• We're happy to announce that after sharing your feedback, this was changed to make it wider.

Once again, thank you for sharing your constructive criticism and helping to make Spotify better!

1,012 Replies

Until 2 monthts ago, I used the pre-2021-version, because this was by far the best version. So clear, so easy to navigate. Afterwards came the filter-based library which purpose I still do not understand. Also I did not understand why the hearts in the albums discography vanished, because they made it so easy and quick to save many albums of one artist. So the change in 2021 was bad, but now this one that is making a mockery of the library and is just utterly unclear and overcrowded. So many pictures and symbols and graphical glitches. The quality descend from pre-2021 over these two updates to this now is astonishing.

Hi everyone,

On the newest desktop version, it doesn't seem to let me move my playlists in the order I want them to appear in my public view.  I used to be able to drag my playlists by clicking them, and then drag up or down.  Please let me know if there is a new way to organize my playlists?

Thanks everyone!

AG

**bleep** that, they should see this spammed on here daily, until something is done about this terrible UI. Containing it to a single thread makes it too easy to ignore.

So true!! Seems to me that the UI team won't actually listen to their customers (and stakeholders) and revert their updates. Keep getting updates which are getting drastically worse LOL

This was a shoddy idea at best...... It marginalises a well-laid-out interface which has a brilliant cover gallery to a sidebar. I now have random Spotify suggestions (Which are shite anyways as they only offer me a fraction of choice based on my listening preferences) front and centre and my go access for my playlists and music has been made into an afterthought. Also including when I last listened to something adds ZERO value to me at all. 

LOL - you must be using a different app to the rest of us.....

This update has been causing too much frustration to me. I canceled the subscription. I even payed SongShift to move my playlists to Apple Music. The Apple Music app is one of the worst in MacOS, but much better than Spotify.

Also going back downloading MP3 via torrents and use better music players like Cog.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 06.53.26.pngScreenshot 2023-06-05 at 06.42.25.png

I have been a Spotify user for 9 years. Previous changes have generally been for the better but I absolutely hate this. I have hundreds of artists in my library and I mostly select music from the library. These changes make that much more difficult, I have to scroll around much more. One of the first rules of UI design is to maximize use of screen real estate - not waste it on things that aren't currently relevant. If you don't build in an option to restore the previous behavior I will be looking at alternative services for the first time.

My desktop app briefly returned to the good old version that wasn't this jacked-up sidebar library trash but today it is back to trash. 600+ replies trashing this dumb mobilize the desktop decision and y'all still ain't figured it out?

Then again, there were more comments on the stupid decision to remove the artist column and y'all stood behind that, so who am I kidding? You never listen to the customer when we complain about your trashy remodeling of the desktop app.

How does every change Spotify makes to their app somehow make it worse than it was before? Stop changing random parts of the UI for no reason and fix the massive amount of bugs in this piece**bleep** app.

Who ever designed this needs to be fired ASAP. 

It is annoyingly inconvenient to continuously have to look up the keyboard shortcut for all the podcasts I follow - not just my recents/most listened to - because I can no longer easily access them from the library (you know, where it logically used to be as a LINK in the sidebar that opened in the main window?). Because the library is no longer easily accessible. Like what is this cramped list that's the default if you don't have the images showing when everything is listed in the sidebar? What kind of dumb organization is this? Who in their right mind thought this was the better option? I mean, yeah, sure, you have the settings to get the sidebar back to the playlist old view but there's no good way to access the old library. I don't just want my old playlists sidebar, I want the library in the main window without having to jump through hoops.

Is having to use the shortcut a minor inconvenience? Sure.

But it's a dumb inconvenience that should have never been implemented in the first place. I neither want nor need to sort through my library in the tiny sidebar. I just want to be able to easily click and access my library, then my podcasts. The sidebar is for my playlists. That's how it's always been and that's how I use it. That's the only way I use it.

If you really wanted to make your sidebar convenient for the customer, you'd make it customizable. Let us put what we most want to access there. THAT would actually be useful!

Stop making your software absolutely inconvenient for desktop users! DESKTOPS AREN'T PHONES. Use the real estate that an entire desktop gives you! There's no reason to cram things into tiny spaces when you don't have to!

for the sake of openness, i'll quote this from OP and make it relevant:

Where can I give my feedback about the new Your Library sidebar in the desktop app?

• We welcome your feedback about this change. The best way to share your feedback is to comment here in this thread.

If that is sincere, why is there no actual response to the feedback?
(BTW: who in their right mind thinks it'd be a grand idea to make the quote-function always include the full OP, even in the compact editor?)

Spoiler
And to add insult to injury moderator lyubka makes a toxic-troll response?

How about some accountability and responding to some of the quite frequently mentioned matters, like how some users mainly seem to dislike being forced to use a version with a (not just subjectively) worse UX? Just take both performance metrics and average clicks required to navigate to get an objective measurement why this interface IS worse then the oldest version that could previously be used.
Surely whatever functional changes can be ported without the interface-regressions? or were there no functional changes and the need for forcing the current version is actually non-existent?

And why (all of a sudden) does spotify force such a huge leap in versions? I mean, i can have some understanding for not wanting to maintain a multi-year-old distribution; but that argument DOESNT fly for a version released this same year if before we always could've used at least a year-old version without issue.

Not being able to reply to that indirect question despite how often is mentioned people dislike suddenly being forced to update from a version all the way back from 2021 auggests that the only narrative spotify appears open to having a conversation about is on how to use and appreciate the current interface, despite whichever actual feedback/complaints people might have... That's simply beyond being tone-deaf and is the inverse what has been suggested, as i've quoted in the start of this reply.

Topics with the same feedback can be found from early march, when apparently the first testing group got the interface, and the feedback remains unchanged despite no response.

Either spotify does give a rats' **bleep** and can finally respond, or they don't and can simply revert the changes and/or allow older versions to be used again.

So, oncemore, as a very disgruntled user I would now like to implore you (Spotify, as a whole) to do a more decent thing about all that.

Then to grab back to this gripe:
Why disregard the basic UI/UX lesson we'd already learnt in the early windows 2.0 days that a window's visual borders shouldn't be of the same color as it's padding? And how can such a honestly basic regression not-only be greenlit, but actually now be the de-facto replacement for as far as we can gather? I, for one, prefer a black desktop background. And no matter what preference the user should have, should it ever interfere with UI in such a way that the windows' borders can become undiscernable from the background... in no way at-all, if the UI design should be anywhat objectively competent, that is.

Look, i'll be quite frank here, i could go on for lines and lines of text with examples in which the UI is either inefficient, impractical or downright frustratingly incoherent, but anyone with a basic understand/experience with UI/UX design should've readily spotted all those examples in honestly less then an hour.
Mistakes are being made which i'd already learned through experience nearly 20 yrs ago/ as a damn 14yr old writing vb.net in my first 3 monhs of dabbling in UI design as a self-taught beginner; so yeah, it's really freaking basic.

To me the changes that have happened appear unfounded/"for the sake of change" which mainly is demonstrated by noticing how before many examples of icons and text were coherent with one-another, now there's swathes of empty/unutilized space, and an incredible arrangement of font-sizes/weight/styles, alignments which all have no regard or respect for one-another.
Please, find a serious and experienced UX/UI designer/design-lead, who wants things different for an actual and constructive reason.
Want yet another simple example? Find someone who doesnt decide to make the bottom playbar-element larger and yet STILL shrink the artist-name's font, so effectively even more screenspace is wasted.
Or how the icon top-right with the profile picture has a different margin AND SIZE from the back/front-buttons on the opposing side of the same div? and how also in that div the left-padding is yet-again a different size from the right? for ZERO constructive reason? Or how the playlist scrollbar's top limit is unclear if it's already at the top, yet visible, and yet-again padding for the text and icons is all-over-the-place/incosistent to the point it becomes an achievement?
Why should that search-bar disappear when scrolling down, but not the playlist/album/artist buttons or its blank space around it?
Why, in the top/title-bar is the top-left button aligned to the bottom, while other ui-elements in the topbar are aligned to the top? it only suggests the button should be touched along the button, but to our surprise (instead of being able to discern/see it) you can still click that button on the top and it works fine; while the inverse goed for the minimize/maximize/close buttons top-right...
Why are the play-position and volume bars so small in height if there's ample space? They're hard to control on my windows 10.4" hp 2-in-1 now...

I mean it when i say i could go on and on, and that's before taking screenshots and pixel/pt measurements.

The new UI is very very very very awful

The new UI is really quite bad and a lot less functional. At this stage the only thing Spotify has going for it is its recommendation algorithm. I've been subscribed for years but if actually getting to the music collection I have built over that time continues to be this awful I am honestly thinking about switching to Tidal.

Feature Request: Add toggle in Preferences to disable Sidebar minimizing whilst clicking Your Library.

Feedback: Clicking 'Your Library' to collapse the side-pane, is not exactly intuitive even if it has a delayed tooltip

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 10.09.46 am.png

@alex9arza

If I understand your issue correctly, you'll need to select Custom in the sort order.  It's a truly terrible piece of design that it's both not obvious or a default, but that's all part of Spotify's new UI and sadly you do indeed need to ask fellow users on a forum how to use it.

Since all our messages are being read and addressed by someone at Spotify, how about a status update? When is it expected that album art will be fixed to resize properly?

I doubt anybody from Spotify is reading these. For anyone else unhappy with the update I will just reiterate that there are better solutions out there if you have the time and money to search them out. Since I moved to Tidal I've invested in Roon, installed ROCK on an NUC server and integrated my large local music collection from pre-streaming days into it. I now have a full screen library with additional crosslinked metadata enabling me to make better discoveries, I have access to all my favourite music that was missing from Spotify and I'm buying albums on Bandcamp again, putting more cash directly into my favourite artists pockets.

So I've actually ended up rather thankful for this update 😂

Spotify doesn't save width of sidebars... it resets every time I wake up pc. Fix this.

Suggested posts