Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

“Device limit reached". Yes... and... so what, now what?

“Device limit reached". Yes... and... so what, now what?

Plan: Premium

Devices: 

n+1 (see below)

Operating System: Android, Windows, etc. (see below)

My Question or Issue

I got his up with this issue: "Device limit reached. Remove all downloads from another device to listen offline with this one."

I can only hope this is a server-side bug, as going through my Profile web portal yields an illegible black-on-black page on multiple browsers!

We use Spotify on numerous end-points in our household: personal mobile(s), media centres (XBox, playstation, smartTV, etc), IoT (smart speakers, alexa/google), and even Car head unit.

I predominantly keep offline copies of certain playlists for devices I expect to have for where I expect to be out of WiFi range - eg. driving, commuting, away from home or work - so my/our personal mobile phone & Android-based car head unit.

Today/yesterday I got hit up with a "Device limit reached" error, and only a [Close] button, but no other actionable information. (I mean, where is this 'device limit' indicated?)

"Remove all download from other devices" is NOT a solution as it's not feasible to do so.

Nor is the option to "Sign out everywhere" realistic, as this will break a WHOLE bunch of stuff, especially around IoT & other auth's that's an absolute PitA to set up to begin with.

If my Spotify web profile/portal had any actionable info, such as devices logged in & download status, at least then I would be able to view & select nodes to nuke, but what is effectively an all-or-nothing reset is NOT a solution!

This has not been an issue before - been using this for a number of years -  bit if arbitrary limits & restrictions are going to be imposed, the very least that could be done is providing the means of managing those impositions!

**bleep**, even the desktop app(s) don't have an option to show what's cached/downloaded or an option to delete local download! If you want me to take an action, then provide me the means!

Spotify if pretty quick to nuke my download cache's on devices I actually use regularly (eg. mobile, car), requiring me to download everything AGAIN, but making it as easy to solve the issue not so much!

3 Replies

Hey, @vdmerwehuis 

Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!
Currently, it's only possible to download as many as 10,000 songs on each of up to 5 different devices. In this case, if you want to, you can submit a new suggestion on our Ideas board requesting that this limit be upgraded/changed.
You can get more information about the management of your download content here:

Stay awesome!

If you have further questions or if you need anything else, let me know! I'd love to help!

Regards,
Luan

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Luan are you sure the limit came back? It was removed in 2020 and I've successfully been downloading over 14k songs since then, but the warning is coming back now.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270409/spotify-song-library-limit-removed-music-downloads-playl...

Hey @DrewGottlieb,

There was the limit of how many songs you can have in your Liked Songs playlist and it has since been lifted. The download limit has always stayed the same though 🙂
As @Luan has mentioned above - it's currently only possible to download as many as 10,000 songs on each of up to 5 different devices.

Hope this clears things up!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts