Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Weekly Stuck

Discover Weekly Stuck

Plan - Premium Family Plan

Country - US

Device - Windows PC

My Question or Issue

My Discover Weekly hasn't changed in over a month. It's filled with Christmas music, which made sense back in December when that was the genre I was listening to. Since then, I have been listening to my standard mix of music via my other lists, but my Discover Weekly has remained the same. I am not using Private Sessions, and I've tried reinstalling the application, with no improvement. I primarily listen using Spotify Connect with Sonos speakers. 

21 Replies

Mine isn't stuck, but my discover weekly and Home screen are both still suggesting Christmas music and not much else.

Not sure what kicked it into gear, but this week I finally have something other than Christmas songs to listen to. Seems to be resolved. 

Hey @whitesd2 - glad to hear everything's back to normal!

@e30eric - are you still having trouble with your Discover Weekly playlist?

Bear in mind that you can adjust your preferences by liking/hiding songs in Discover Weekly. If there are any song suggestions that you don't like or aren't relevant to your taste, you can always just click on the 🚫 icon next to the song.

Hope that helps! Do let us know if you have any other questions.

Peter,

The issue remains -- both discover weekly and my main feed are still full of Christmas music. I contacted support a couple of days ago and they said that there's an issue on the back end affecting a number of users and they are working on a fix. I've never had this trouble before, and really did nothing different this year compared to prior years.

I have the same issue. I haven't been able to use Discover weekly since December due to it being filled with only Christmas music. I've definitely listed to hours of other stuff, as shown by my "Heavy Rotation" lists, but Discover weekly won't update. Help!

Is your feed (where it suggests other playlists and albums) full of christmas stuff as well? When I talked to Spotify support last week, they made it sound like it should be fixed -- but my discover weekly (and feed) this week are still full of Christmas music. 

Just the "Jump Back In" section and Discover Weekly.

Hey there @e30eric and @xxparrotxx,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

It'd be a good idea unfollowing your Discover Weekly playlist, then logging out then back in the app and following the playlist again to shake things up. 

We'd also recommend making sure to listen to tracks from non-personalized playlists as well as checking that you're not listening on Private Mode.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

It's 2 years later, and this still happened for me. Posting so hopefully someone from the Spotify / Discover Weekly product team can prioritize this. It's really annoying for my favorite playlist to be broken for a month!

Hey there @kmonty7

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We'd like to investigate this further. It would be great if you can:

• Make sure that you've listened to music regularly in the past week and not only the Discover Weekly playlist.
  • Confirm that you weren’t using Private session.
  • Check if other playlists in the Discover section have updated.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have the same issue. Have listened to other music. Not in private mode. Not sure what "Discover section" is exactly...

Hey there @scottewebster,

Thanks  for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

First up, we'd recommend logging out and then logging back in two times in a row on your devices. It sounds a bit odd, but it forces a sync between the account and your device. 

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind checking if the playlist updates when you log in to your account on a different device?

In case that the issue persists, could you send us a screenshot of your Discover weekly in the desktop app where we can see when it was updated? Make sure not to send any private info.

Lastly, with Discover section we meant the one you can find by heading to Search > Discover

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I tried the logging in and out twice thing on my computer and phone. I got the same Discover weekly list each time. I'm not sure that I have another device that I've never logged in with before...

I've attached a screenshot showing that it updated 5 days ago with Christmas songs.

On Search > Discover > Top recommendations there are a fair number of Christmas related items as well...

spotify_discover_stuck.png

Hi @scottewebster,

Thanks for letting us know.

In this case, we suggest that you select the songs that you don't like in the playlist and choose the "I don't like this song" option. Also, you can like the songs you do like by clicking on the heart icon. This will help the playlist to be updated so it can include more personalized results. Additionally, to keep pushing the algorithm it's a good idea to play new music straight from albums or playlists that weren't created by you.

Remember that if you don't want a specific type of music to influence your recommendations, you can turn the Private session on in the app settings.

We also suggest taking a look at this article for tips on how to improve your Made for You playlists.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Wouldn't marking songs with "I don't think this song" make them not play again next Christmas? It's not that I don't like the songs, just that I'd prefer to listen to them only around Christmas.

Anyway, hopefully it will eventually correct itself.

Hey @scottewebster,

Thanks for your response.

As you have extensively played such holiday content in the past couple of months, now it takes time for the algorithm to adjust and this is a gradual and expected process. It could take from one to three weeks time, before the personalized playlist normalize, but this again is connected with how actively you are exploring, playing and liking new music as @Eni mentioned above.

Marking the content that you wouldn't want to hear right now with "I don't like this song" will speed up the algorithm's adjustment process and the removal of similar songs from the playlists made for you. You can always return to those songs later and mark them again as playable when you feel like the time is right.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

At minimum, Spotify should at least give you the option to reset the algorithm and analyze what you previously liked instead. Like a "fresh start"

All Christmas music, all the time on Weekly Discovery and I did everything suggested here. Other playlists are updating. I guess I'll go find some other playlists and let it roll for a while to see what comes up next week, but I really like the idea of letting the user the option to manually reset the playlist. 

Same here, nothing has worked from the suggetions above and Discover weekly is useless, at least until next Christmas ;/

Suggested posts