Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Discover Weekly thinks I'm Dutch.

Discover Weekly thinks I'm Dutch.

Even though my country code is DK and I listen to almost only Danish and English lyrics, the Discover Weekly playlist seems to think I prefer Dutch music. Every week for months now I get no Danish music a strange amount of Dutch music in the playlist.

Tried to "Dont play this artist" mark the Duch artists from the list for about a month, but with no result, what to do ?

13 Replies

Hi @jobeDK, thanks for writing!

That's odd. First of all I'd check if there's a VPN installed in your device.

If not, I suggest you to log out all your devices through the link bellow.

https://www.spotify.com/account/overview/

Then log back in and wait a couple of weeks to see if the issue is solved.

Please keep me posted!

Keep me posted!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi  @Bittencourt, thanks for your input, here's an update:

It is definitely not a VPN issue, as I have never used a VPN connection on any of my devices. 

However, last week I started doing the banning of all NL artists suggested through the desktop app on my PC and not the iOS app on my iPad. Using the "I don't like this artist" button directly in the DW playlist (this is only available in the desktop app) instead of doing a "don't play this artist" on the artist's profile.

I also listened increasingly to the Daily Mix with sole DK songs, probably produced on basis of "Danish" being one of my top genres.

Monday I got a new DW - AND (for the first time ever) there were 4 DK

BUT still 10 Dutch of total 30 songs !!!

Seems like I may be on to something, I will keep up this practice and see if it influences the coming DWs and hopefully get rid of these odd NL entries.

I followed your suggestion logging off all devices, removed my DAB adapter with build in Connect from the connect list and even cut the power, all just to be on the safe side.

Next step could be to add all suggested DK songs to a separate playlist, I read somewhere that this "interest" may also trick the algorithm.

Any other ideas from all users are more than welcome, Thanks again for your kind attention.

That's funny - I'm in NL and this week Spotify thinks I am Italian - at least 10 songs in my Discover Weekly are Italian. I don't use VPN and I've never listened to any Italian music. I had to click "I don't like this artist" so many times this week to remove them from the playlist and now I can only wait to see what suggestions will come next Monday.

Also - not very user friendly that there is no easy way to contact user support for these issues.

Hey @Pqpq, I'm sorry about that.

You can always get in touch with the Spotify Cares staff - They'll be happy to help you further with this.

There are a few ways to contact them

Another great way is to reach Spotify via Facebook support. Shoot them a message here: Spotify Cares.

Hope this is more helpful!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Hey, thanks for your quick reply. That is what I meant with "there is no easy way". On the contact page, there is only list of topics (Subscription, Account, Logging In...) none of which seems related to my issue. I don't use facebook, so that's also not an option here.

@Pqpq 

YOU should have my DW 🙃

I understand that it is a very complex algorithm guessing what the users wants to discover..  managing genres, artists, country and language. 

Here's some ideas:

• Some tickboxes on your profile with preferred genres and languages to initiate the algorithm.
  • Newbies only get local language or suggestions based on listening and likes.
  • Reset button, as a way to start over as a newbie.

Untill then, if ever implemented, we have to find an easy workaround.

Keep me updated how your issue proceeds. 

Hey Jobe, I've been in contact with Spotify support - they suggested to keep clicking  "I dislike this artist" and wait till new DW is generated. I'll post the results here on Monday.

Ok @Pqpq,

Keep us posted!

BittencourtSpotify Star

And as promised, I'm back with the update.

Last week, my Release Radar still had some Italian artists, so I kept clicking "I don't like this artist". Then yesterday DW came out - and no more Italian music. But I have a feeling that something's gone really wrong with both Release Radar and DW playlists for me. There is so much music that I don't like (like lots of songs in falsetto?!) and artists that I don't know about. I have a feeling it's gonna take weeks before it comes back to sensible recommendations again 😞

Hi, here's an update..

2 weeks ago I received a DW with non less than 15 DK songs, maybe due to the intense listening - but more important 0 NL songs !! - wow something is happening here.

However last week I didn't use Spotify very much and couldn't exclude any NL songs (as there were none). The result came yesterday::

The number of DK songs were reduced to 4, which is OK, there has to be a mix of new input - BUT there were also 5 NL songs back on the playlist !!!

@Pqpq, you are quite right, it seems like it is a long process trimming the DW, the way we expect it to work. But I for one is not giving up on this yet, deleting and listening seems to affect the outcome.

Lets beat this f****** algorithm.

Any comments from the Spotify Team ??

Hi @jobeDK,

I'm glad your DW is gradually coming to what it should be. You're right, it's not something "instantaneous" - it generally takes a few weeks to get it right.

I'm sure it will get rid of all Dutch songs soon, just wait some more 🙂

Keep us posted!

BittencourtSpotify Star

It is still happening to me. It recommends me Italian music since last year on the Discover Weekly playlist. There are weeks without any Italian songs but others I have at least 4 songs. I always dislike the artist but they keep showing up. It is not a big deal but it is annoying sometimes.

Hey @Santiago_sp,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!     

Keep in mind that the algorithms take into account not only your own personal likes, but also those of people with similar music taste. We recommend that you keep liking and blocking content -this is the best way to get music recommended that is most to your liking. As other users in this thread mentioned - after a couple of weeks the Made for You content got closer and closer to the users preferences. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Have an awesome day. 

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts