Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

Mate 20 Pro

Operating System

Android 10, Windows 10, all fully updated

My Question or Issue

Basically the title. I just noticed that songs I flag as Disliked on my mobile device are not correspondingly flagged on my PC. I.e. if I dislike a song on mobile it will still appear normally in the Discovery list on PC and happily play whatever **bleep** the algorithm came up with this week.

Bonus issues: in the list the "dislike" icon has "Hide this song" as alt text, but in the player (under the album cover) this icon has "Dislike" as alt text.

I believe this must be an issue, but this is the only way I have found of reporting it so far. Do tell me if this is the wrong place for this.

9 Replies

Same issue,

IPhone XR- any likes/hides don’t sync to my iPad.  Tried logout/login, and all apps are up to date.  Very annoying. Makes liking/hiding pretty much pointless when listening on multiple devices.

Hey folks,

Welcome to the Community 🙂

Would you mind letting us know in which other devices you've tested this, along with the Spotify version you're running on both of them?

A screenshot where we can see how the song appears after you disliked it from a different device would also be helpful.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mario,

Thanks for taking the time to reply after all this time. Unfortunately simply ignoring this issue and hoping it'll resolve on its own hasn't worked: I just tried it again and the issue is still present. It feels like it's some sort of syncing/caching issue. Playlist descriptions have also been buggy for ages and this is probably related in that playlist metadata simply doesn't sync or only syncs after a long time. I have noticed that some songs do show up correctly on both devices after > 1 day, but I haven't kept track exactly. In the screenshots you'll hopefully see that I "Disliked" the Cascada song on my mobile device and that it doesn't show up as such on my desktop PC. I've done multiple restarts now over the course of an hour without change.

I have tried this with 2 separate laptops, the same Mate 20 mobile phone and a desktop PC all running Windows 10 2004 or 20H2 and Android 10 with multiple fresh (reinstalls) over the course of 3 months. As I said I haven't kept track of how this issue has been present during that time but it clearly hasn't been fixed as of now. All are/were running the latest Spotify versions (auto-update on all devices).

Edit: No screenshots after all because much like the Spotify for Windows client the new Windows screen snip tool is also a piece of junk. That, plus the fact that this website just threw all this away with an "Unknown error" means that I now spent way to much time on a trivial issue that should've been fixed 6 months ago and I'm tired. Just fix it, please?

Best,

Thomas

Hey @Branded,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know what you've tried.

Could you try to attach the screenshot one more time? This could help us take a better look at what's happening. We'd recommend clearing your browser's cache or logging out and back in to see if it makes any difference.

We'll be on the lookout for your message.

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

On the mobile screenshot you can see that I disliked the Cascada song. That was yesterday. Now, after a day, the desktop client also shows the Cascada song to be "disliked" as in screenshot #2. However, up until just now the Cascada song was displayed normally (like the other songs in the Desktop list) and not skipped.

So the issues are 1) It takes at least a day for "disliked" songs to sync to other devices, defeating the point of continuing to listen on another device, and 2) sometimes songs don't sync their disliked status at all.

In the meantime I switched to a different platform so I don't really need this issue to be resolved anymore. I posted this anyway for reference, but you may close the topic as far as I'm concerned.

Screenshot_20201130_161023_com.spotify.music.jpg
Screenshot 2020-12-01 154906.png

Thanks for sending over the screenshots and providing all those details, @Branded!

We immensely appreciate the time and effort you've taken to report this issue to us. 

Rest assured that we've let our developers know about this and they're looking into ways how this can be improved in the future.

For now, we recommend everyone who is affected by this issue to keep your Spotify app up-to-date to guarantee you get the latest features and fixes.

Cheers - We'll be right here if you have any other questions.

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I’ve recently discovered that although the hidden icon does not appear next to the song unless it’s on the actual device I had it on, it will skip that song while playing a playlist on other devices. One dilemma however is sometimes it glitches and just stops playing entirely when it gets to a hidden song that hasn’t synched properly. Or if you try to click on a song that was hidden on another device, but doesn’t appear hidden on the device you are using it just does nothing. 

Hey @Kvnseconds

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind sending over a video where we can see what happens when you try to play these hidden songs from a different device? 

Just attach it to your next reply to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor or send us a link to it. This will help us take a better look at the issue. 

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

i got the same problem and the same repons of a moderator. But not all moderators are aware of the functionalities of spotify as another moderator replied :

Hey there @rikverstraete

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Currently, hidden songs aren't syncing across devices, this means if you hide a song you don't like on the desktop app, it'll still show in the mobile app. 

In this case, you can have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If you have any questions, just let us know. 

btw : there is a idea to get this fixed, but it needs more likes :

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Allow-hide-song-function-to-sync-across-...

Suggested posts