Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Do audio book readers can become my top artist of the year?

Do audio book readers can become my top artist of the year?

Or does that get counted differently?

9 Replies

Hey @Wurmmann

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

Currently the readers of audiobooks on Spotify use regular Artist profiles. This means that they aren't counted in a different way than music in your listening history. 

In such a case you can expect audiobook readers to be included in your Spotify highlights and stats. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions. 

Thank you. Is it possible though that audio book readers don't appear in the Wrapped 2020? I had none in my top 5, so maybe the algorithm got changed for the current Wrapped?

Hey there @Wurmmann,

Thanks for the reply.

How the Wrapped 2020 was calculated by the system depends largely on your listening habits. If you've listened to more music than audiobooks overall might result in not seeing any audiobook artists in your Top list. Apart from that, Private listening or listening to content via the recommendation playlists you get is also not added to the calculation of the algorithm. 

This is all the official information about how Wrapped is calculated that we have. 

Hope you find this info useful 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you. What is a recommended playlist? If I get recommended a Beatles playlist and listen to it over and over again, will it not count at all? Does Release Radar count?

Hey there @Wurmmann,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us. 

We meant the playlists that are personalized based on your listening habits. Examples of those are Discover Weekly, the Daily Mixes, Release Radar and similar. We hope this clears it up and sorry about the confusion

If you have any questions we're always one reply away. We're happy to help.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thank you. Can you tell me why those don't count? Does that make sense?

Hey @Wurmmann

Thanks for getting back to us.

The playlists we mentioned don't count for the following reason: these are automated and based on an algorithm, similar to Wrapped itself.

When checking a Discover Weekly out for example, you don't know it beforehand what you'll be listening to specifically. We do our best that Wrapped reflects the intentional music listening habits of our users.

In this sense, discovery-based listens are excluded since these playlists are automated. If one however really likes a track from such a playlist and adds it to their Liked Songs or another playlist and frequently listens to it from there, that would count towards your yearly Wrapped.

Hope this helps. We'll be here if you have further questions. 

Thank you. Do these discovery-based plays count towards the total amount of minutes listened overall? 

And if I listen to a song in that playlist 5 times, and then 5 times through my own playlist, will that be counted as 10 or 5 plays towards Wrapped?

Hi there @Wurmmann

Thanks for your reply!

We're sorry for the confusion. We can confirm that all minutes are counted in all playlist types, including podcasts and private sessions as well. 

On another note, we're afraid we can't share more info about how streams are counted, but they count disregarding of the playlist you listen to them from.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts