Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Various

Operating System

Various

My Question or Issue

I'm sure I reported this like 4 YEARS ago and was told Spotify was working on it, so here we go again.

STOP PUTTING DIFFERENT ARTISTS WITH THE SAME NAME AS ARTISTS PEOPLE FOLLOW FOLLOW IN PEOPLE'S RELEASE RADARS!

Seriously, you KNOW the difference between artists with the same name, I'm sure you have some hashcode or GUID or whatever behind the artist name that enables you to distinguish between multiple artists that happen to have the same name.

SO WHY IS IT YOU LOSE THAT DISTINCTION IN RELEASE RADARS?

I'm seriously sick of getting excited to hear some indie band I love has a new single out for the first time in years to find its some random south american hip hop artist with the same name. I'm sick of getting excited to hear of some electronic artist I love has a new album out to find its some metal band with the same name. I'm sick of listening to my release radar on my phone with headphones to suddenly be confronted by some music that I find to be **bleep** horrible because you can't get round to sorting out this stupid, bizarre bug that I'm sure would probably take a dev like a couple of hours to add some guid check.

For goodness sake ACTUALLY FIX THIS ALREADY

13 Replies

Re: FIX RELEASE RADAR AND DUPLICATE ARTIST NAMES ALREADY

having same issue. excited for new music only to find out its some hard dark hip hop stuff i really don't like. Especially when that Artist is long dead.

Apex -> Marcus Intalex

I have the feeling this got a lot worse recently

Music Fan

I cannot believe that this is something that spotify refuses to address.  It's enough to have me considering switching to Google Music.  

Literally every week my Release Radar is more and more polluted with terrible South American Hip Hop artists using the same name as bands that I like.  It's rendered Release Radar absolutely useless at this point.

Here is a list I've started of duplicate names,  all are hip hop artists using names of existing groups.

Gomez
The Cult
X
Bully
DEVO
Adolescents
Belly
Wire
Metz

You cannot tell me that Spotify has no way to differentiate these.  How do royalties even go to the correct artists if not?

Music Fan

20201225_143640.jpg

 Here's a screen shot from today's release radar with a the songs I've "hidden"
Can you see why this is a terrible experience?

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

This has been reported and the team in charge is currently looking into it. 

In this case, we'd recommend taking a look at this thread for more info. You can also leave some information about your devices so we can investigate further.

If anything else comes up, we'll be right here.

Have a good one.

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Music Fan

You can add the band 'Low' to this list of scam latin rapper names. 

Music Fan

@novy this has been a known issue for YEARS. We need some proof that you actually are taking this seriously, because I'm about to start looking into rule competition.

I moved from deezer to Spotify, quite happy to move again. 

Music Fan
Yeah this is a a laughable “effort” on the part of Spotify at this point. Nothing but a cut and past pat answer. My favourite part being “let us know what device etc that you are using” as if the scam Latin gangster rap using established band’s names are related to the end user and what version of software we are using.

I’m not one to complain often, but this is actually ridiculous and is ruining my listening experience that I am paying money for.

Music Fan

"The team" has been on the case for years now.  May be time to actually look into this instead of a cut and paste answer. 

Google Music is looking better all the time. 

Music Fan

Sadly Google Music is shutting down soon.

SUGGESTED POSTS