Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

HOW DO I LISTEN TO SONGS ON MY PLAYLIST OFFLINE?

Solved!

HOW DO I LISTEN TO SONGS ON MY PLAYLIST OFFLINE?

Sorry = this is probably one of a gabillion identical questions - but, I can't find a single simple answer to this question.

Can you please explain it to me like I am a 5 year?

> I upgraded to Premium. I listen on my Phone. I have playlists. I marked the playlist I want to listen to while I'm outside running as "Available offline".

I only have 1 GIG data plan with my phone carrier. How do I listen to the music on my playlist while I am out running or walking a half-marathon and training? Do I need to download all the songs first? Do I need to buy extra storage space on my phone or a new phone?? I do not want to see my phone bill next month and all the music was streaming via my LTE/4G carrier waves.

There's about 150 songs on the playlist.

Thanks

1800HART

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @EJC2,

Thanks for asking about this!

Here's how you can listen to your playlists and songs offline. Just make sure the content is downloaded and that the Offline Mode is switched on in your Spotify's settings.

We hope this helps 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hello!

To make songs available for offline use, you must turn on the switch to make a playlist available for offline.

When you do so, songs within the playlist will start downloading to your phone, one by one (The currently downloading song will have a loading symbol). I reccomend you to do this while you are connected to a Wi-Fi, since a connectionis needed to download them.

Songs that are already downloaded, will have a green arrow symbol next to them. If it is gray, it means it isn't downloaded.

When you download all your songs you can start playing them without an internet connection.

To ensure you aren't using any mobile data, go to Spotify's settings, and activate "Offline Mode".

That way nothing involving an internet connection will get in or out. (Just on the Spotify app, all the other apps will work just as they should)

You won't be able to play songs you haven't downloaded, and you won't be able to search for songs until you deactivate the Offline Mode.

PS.

If you have marked a playlist as Available Offline, and songs won't download (no song has the loading symbol and they have a gray arrow next to them) then try deleting apps and stuff you don't need and maybe that helps.

Spotify will stop downloading songs when the device you are using has a small available storage.
(sometimes even if you have 500MB-1GB available)

Hope this helps! ♫

This was a post by DasPeter
If my post helped you to fix your problem  -  Accept as Solution
If you liked my post - Give it a Like

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
PM me here

Hi, i have a playlist in which my songs are downloaded (they have the green arrow) but still, when i go offline and try to play that playlist, it tells me that this playlist isn't available offline, wich is weird because i have like 4 other playlist which i can play offline, it just happens with this playlist and i don't know why.

Hey @anniellamas1, welcome to the community!

That's odd. I'd suggest you try a clean re-installation and see if that helps.

Keep in mind that you will have to re-download all your offline content after that.

Let me know how it worked out 🙂

K

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

I have downloaded 3 playlists and they have the green arrow.  I cannot find anything that says settings.  Do you mean setting on my laptop?  If I play the donwloaded music, is it playing without wifi?   Is it using my data on my iphone?  I need bluetooth to connect to my car and my speaker.    Does this involve wifi?  Please speak to me as if I am a five year old.  I dont understand techny language.

Hi 1800HART,

So sorry you're having this issue. Have you tried saving your playlists on a different WiFi network? When saving a playlist in offline mode, it's best to follow these steps:

. Make sure you are connected to the internet via WiFi -> Follow the playlist (if it's not your own) -> Switch the "Downloaded" icon so that it appears green -> Wait for all the songs to download (to the left of each song there will be a circular icon with a green arrow pointing down)

Hope this helps! 

Stefan Bojilov
“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo

Thanks! Although, I have not had any problems since about a week after this question was posted back in 2015. I believe the first response was the correct answer - that, in addition to allowing the download of certain playlist songs (I think it's up to 5000 now?) only those playlists that you downloaded need to be set to play offline and only they will play and - they do play.

Since then, I'm on a different data plan with my carrier  up to 6GB ... I work and live in a wifi zone so, even if I am out - sometimes I will just turn off my wifi and play Spotify "live" instead of offline from downloaded music

1800HART

Hey there @marmitegranny, welcome to the community!

Those are all good questions! Let's take them one by one 🙂

@marmitegranny wrote:

I have downloaded 3 playlists and they have the green arrow.  I cannot find anything that says settings.  Do you mean setting on my laptop?  

Which client are you using the Spotify app from? Depending on the client, Settings is accesible in many ways. For example, if you are using the Android app, tap the Library icon on the bottom right and then on the top right corner of the screen you should be seeing a gear icon. Clicking on that should bring you to the settings page for the app. From there you can select Offline Mode. You can find out a more detailed guide for every device here, make sure to check it out as it offers lots of useful information.

If I play the donwloaded music, is it playing without wifi?   Is it using my data on my iphone?  I need bluetooth to connect to my car and my speaker.    Does this involve wifi?  Please speak to me as if I am a five year old.  I dont understand techny language.

As long as you have Spotify set on Offline Mode you shouldn't be using any mobile data. However, you'll need an internet connection to download the music you want available offline first. That can either be while using WiFi or data, however I'd suggest using WiFi especially if you want to make available offline lots of songs or playlists. After they're all downloaded (the gray circle next to the songs should turn green), you can turn Offline Mode on and listen to everything you've downloaded without using up your data 🙂

As for using Spotify on your car, I'd suggest heading here to look up a more detailed guide depending on the car you have.

Let me know if that helps 🙂

K

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

Where does one find the offline switch in a playlist? I really like Spotify, but some runs about it are not user-friendly at all. Thanks.

Marked as solution

Hi there @EJC2,

Thanks for asking about this!

Here's how you can listen to your playlists and songs offline. Just make sure the content is downloaded and that the Offline Mode is switched on in your Spotify's settings.

We hope this helps 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts