Announcements

Help me understand Spotify's queue

Solved!

Re: Help me understand Spotify's queue

Visitor

This right here: this is everything that's wrong with human-computer interfaces today, and I'm not being hyperbolic. Spotify's dev team is among the absolute worst offenders of those holding back the software side of computer technology. The sheer incompetence they display completely destroys any hope that any computer UI will ever approach correctness even remotely.

It it inarguable that this is a BUG. No matter what justification you can come up with, or even however much it was done on purpose, it is objectively wrong and must be fixed. Ordered queues have been a solved problem FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. The “now playing” queue is the central part of the UI of any and all conceivable music applications that allow the user to play arbitrary tracks. It is completely inarguable that this is the single most urgent bug that any music-playing app could ever be faced with, barring a massive PII leak or device-bricker.

Regular

It's simple.... 

- Add to Queue should add the items to the end of the queue
- Clicking play on an album (or playlist) should play that album in it's entirety (currently it plays the first song on the album and adds the rest to the end of the queue)
- a Play Next option, next to Add to Queue, could add the items to the start of the queue

The last two are about the same thing, the Play Next option would just make it clearer and easier to understand. 

Casual Listener

This is fundamentally wrong. 

What you are describing is how stack works. Queue should always add new items to the end of the list. Stack would always add new items to the beginning of the list. This is Computer Science 101.

When a user asks to add to the queue, they expect new songs to be added to the end of the list.

As per the screenshot, I am listening to ASOT 724, and it was towards the end of album, I searched for ASOT 725 and pressed Add to Queue. What does Spotify do? Spotify decides to play ASOT 725 before ASOT 724 album is completely finished. This is absurd behavior. Please fix this. I don't know how more I can be clearer about this.

msedge_20200725_lPFhfvArTC.png

Casual Listener

You get it. It’s unfortunate that the Spotify devs don’t get it. The last two aren’t exactly the same. Play album plays the  first song of the album immediately. Play next plays after the end of current song; and if no song is playing, it would play immediately.

Regular

No one in their right mind would design the queue Last In First Out for music. Just like no one would default a computer Print Queue LIFO. Does anyone plan their day starting with the last activity and working backward to the present? wth? 

Casual Listener

Add me to the list of users frustrated to the brink of insanity about how the current "queue" system works. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the play queue is completely wiped clean by playing a song on any other platform than the one in which the queue was originally created.

So I now pay extremely close attention to every link before clicking it to not have the Spotify web player pop up and "helpfully" start playing a song and nuking all of the songs I've queued up in the Spotify desktop app.

Please vote for the idea to stop resetting the queue.

Casual Listener

Tbh, I thought I’d worked it out. Then realised I may have worked it out but it was still not intuitive and so I’m giving Apple Music another go. Wife happy about this decision, daughter grumpy until I moved playlists etc over to Apple now she’s discovering she prefers it. Will decide over next couple of weeks.

Casual Listener
This is not a solution! Most times I start playing music and I browse around and find something else I want to listen to and expect it to go to the end of the list so I can finish listening to the album I started. I don't open up Spotify with a list of albums I want to listen to, queue them all up and hit play. Who does that? I don't get it, why is this so hard to implement? I came back to Spotify after an offer for 3 months for 10 bucks but I'm going back to Apple Music after the 3 months are up. This issue, and the fact I have to sit through ads on Podcasts are deal
breakers for me.

Visitor
4 years on and Spotify still haven't fixed their queue system. It's incredible. Just the worst UX.
SUGGESTED POSTS