Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How Long Does A Song Stay In Recently Played?

How Long Does A Song Stay In Recently Played?

Premium

Country Canada

Device

Laptop and nVidia Shield

Operating System

(Windows and nVidia Shield)

My Question or Issue

I have over 6,000 local files on my laptop. I connected them to Spotify desktop. I use the Android TV operating system on my nVidia Shield, and as Spotify for Android TV is useless for me (no local files, artist and albums not in alphabetical order), I've sideloaded the regular Android Spotify phone app and used another app called Set Orientation, to force landscape. I works great. The music sounds so much better on my shield.

On Spotify desktop I added all 6,000+ local songs to a playlist called Local Music and  downloaded the songs in this playlist on my shield. Now, using my now synced Local Music playlist on Spotify Desktop, I'm in the process of creating a system of folders and playlists. I have one principal folder called  Artists With Local Music and another called Various Artists Local Albums (for albums with multiple artists). Under Artists With Local Music, I'm creating folders for each artist with local music and in  within the artist folders, will be playlists for each album found in my Local Music playlist, along with a playlist called All Songs, where I will add all of an artist songs (even  the ones on Spotify). 

So I've been busy scrolling down my Local Music playlist (sorted by album), selecting the songs in each album and adding each of  them to a new playlist which will automatically be titled "artist name – song title".  Every five or so albums, I go to the left panel, create a folder for each artist whose album playlist I just created (if not already done) and  create the artist's All Songs playlist (using "Create Similar Playlist" and changing the title), if not already done. Then I move  the album playlist and the All Songs playlist into the artist folder. I then move these new folders and album playlists of artists with previously created folders into the top of my Artists With Local Music folder and move the new stuff around accordingly, keeping everything in  alphabetical order, changing the name of an artist with "The" in it's name to "Artist Name (The)".

If the new album playlist has songs by multiple artists, I move it into Various Artists Local Albums. No sub-folders are necessary here.

So when I go to my nVidea Shield, everything is perfect and would stay perfect , if I never play any music! The folders are all in alphabetical order, as are the playlists inside the folder and the songs are in the order they were originally presented by the artist.

When I open an artist folder, open  an album playlist and play a song, is when all **bleep** breaks loose. Because I've now played a song in an album playlist within an artist's folder, that folder now appears at the top of of my Artists With Local Music folder . Also, the song, if not the first in the album, now appears at the top of my album playlist. If I played several songs by different artists, my beautiful system, organized so I can find things easily. is blown to **bleep** by Spotify, because they insist on identifying recently played and moving everything involving recently played songs to the top of folders and playlists.

So my question is , if Spotify must **bleep** into my organized system, like they do, how long does a song remain in recently played songs?  How long a time period is recent? And will the affected sub-folders and out of order songs , in a playlist, on my Android app revert back to their proper place, once the songs are no longer "recently played"?

Two other advantages of using the sideloaded Android app on my shield, are

1) There is an option to like all songs on a Spotify album at once, instead of clicking the heart beside each song on the desktop version.

2) I can add my local songs to my liked songs and eventually shuffle my entire collection of songs (from Spotify and local).

I wish there was a way to either opt out of Recently Played or not have my folders and playlists affected by recently played. I'm putting so much work into this after opting to move from Google Play Music/Youtube music which is a total mess. I'd love to feel it was all worth it, when I'm done.

I'm sorry that this has been so long, but I needed to express myself.

3 Replies

Corrections:

The operating system is Android TV.

My album Playlist titles are "artist name – album title"

Just for the record, I did not swear in my post above. I was bleeped three times for using two words.  A word rhyming with fell and word for a persons backside but when used as a noun, means annoyingly interjecting ones self.  This platform is very sensitive.  🙂

Hey there @jim146

Thank you for your post.

Recently played depends on how much you've listen to things and it should be updated regularly.

When it comes to sorting your library you can follow the steps that's provided on our support site here

If you have any questions we're always happy to help.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts