Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I make spotify ignore songs I've listened to when it makes recommendations?

Solved!

How can I make spotify ignore songs I've listened to when it makes recommendations?

Hi

I sometimes (less than 1% of the time) listen to classical music and as a result Spotify has started putting new classical tracks in my New Release playlist. Is there a way to stop this - having a second account or switching off a specific type of music? It's really jarring!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Msarcher

You can switch on Private Session everytime you listen to classical music.

That way it won't influence your recommendations e.g. Release Radar. 

On mobile:

• Tap Home 
  • Tap Settings 
  • Under Social, switch on Private Session.
  • Repeat the steps to end the Private Session. 

Note: The Private Session ends automatically when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity

On desktop:

• Click  in the top right corner of the app.
  • Select Private Session. A padlock on your profile picture indicates a private session is active.

Note: The Private Session ends automatically when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi @Msarcher

No problem, I'm glad everything worked out for you! 

If you need anything else, feel free to ask. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @Msarcher

You can switch on Private Session everytime you listen to classical music.

That way it won't influence your recommendations e.g. Release Radar. 

On mobile:

• Tap Home 
  • Tap Settings 
  • Under Social, switch on Private Session.

Note: The Private Session ends automatically when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity

On desktop:

• Click  in the top right corner of the app.
  • Select Private Session. A padlock on your profile picture indicates a private session is active.

Note: The Private Session ends automatically when you restart Spotify, or after a long period of inactivity.

Brilliant, thank you Emilia! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Marked as solution

Hi @Msarcher

No problem, I'm glad everything worked out for you! 

If you need anything else, feel free to ask. 

Is there any other way to ignore certain songs/playlists if I don't want to turn on private mode every time?

Also interested in this because my kid listens to kid music on my google home using my spotify account, so there's no real way to enter private mode from google home.

Same. I have a specific playlist I listen to to help me focus, almost every day for work. I would like to be able to just ignore everything in the playlist from the recommendations algorithm. Or do it track by track. 

Suggested posts