Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I fix “device limit reached” trying to download music onto my phone?

How do I fix “device limit reached” trying to download music onto my phone?

I can’t download my music onto my phone, I recently just got a new phone and can’t fix this problem. I want to download my likes on my library but “device limit reached remove all downloads from another device to listen offline with this one”
20 Replies

Hi there @Epicburrito8!

You probably have downloaded music on an older device. If you have access to it, you can remove the downloads either from the Spotify app (Settings > Remove all downloads) or by clearing the app's cache and data.

In case you no longer have access to one of these older devices, where you had downloaded music, you can instead get in touch with the folks over at Customer Support who'll be able to remove them remotely.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've tried this on 3 old devices already, some of which I'd already deleted spotify from, but the problem is still presisting.

Hey @MatthewUnder20Char,

Thanks for the reply.

As @Yordan mentioned, you can contact a customer support representative to have your offline devices removed. You can find out here how to do that.

On another note, an unused offline device should be removed automatically after 30 days of the app on the device not being able to connect to the internet.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Wheres the remove all downloads on the settings, i cant see it 😅😅

I uninstalled spotify and all its data from all my devices until nothing had any downloads on it and only 3 other devices had spotify on it, nothing. I left my family plan and started a new subscription, still nothing.

At this point I decided just to download some on my apple watch, the problem persisted until yesterday when it magically allowed me to download again.

Strange.

Hey @MatthewUnder20Char,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to her the issue is resolved now.

There is a 30 day limit on the offline content being kept on a device without internet connection. So I guess the time limit was exceeded and the offline content of a device was dumped to make room for a new device.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I have this very issue today . Got a new phone and restored from a backup and I can’t download to my new device . I get a new phone every year and have never had to do this before . I can’t see what devices are connected to Spotify either . There must be a list why isn’t it on the account ? 

Hey @Simonmiskelly50,

Thanks for your reply in this thread.

Just to clarify. keep in mind that you can download as many as 10,000 songs on each of up to 5 different devices.

If you have access to your previous phones, you can remove your downloads by starting Spotify on the device which no longer needs the downloaded content and use the Remove all downloads button by going to Settings> Storage.

If perhaps you don't have access to your previous devices anymore, you can also contact our Customer Support team, so they can help you to remove the offline devices from your account as well. You can find out how to contact them here.

Lastly, we'd like to share with you this idea, namely Bring Back the Offline Devices List page posted by another user on our Ideas board. Even though the status is set as Not right now, it doesn't mean the idea has been rejected. We’d suggest adding your vote in the Thump up icon and subscribing to the idea to get notified as soon as we have any updates to share of this feature on Android.

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

Cheers!

AlejaRModerator

I've cleared the cache, downloads, reinstalled my Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch 4 Classic software multiple times. I still am getting Device Limit reached.  

The best thing to do is contact the chat within the Spotify website. The agent did it in one minute and I can now download all my music easily. 

One of my family plan members (which should have their own premium account) had been able to download music for offline use for the last 3 years. With nothing changing, just this past week they get a “device limit reached” error message and asking them to remove all other offline devices. However they are only using one device. Any suggestions? 

we tried relogging in, uninstalling and reinstalling, removing from plan and reading to plan. Nothing seems to work.

wait can you help me as every device says device limit reached and i really need this fixed by wedesnday 4th january 2023 please help

Hi I am having issues with this too. I had to change subscriptions from student to individual; and now I can make any downloads. I have 1,500 songs. I only have three devices. Earlier today I had no issue with the app and now it reached the limit on my phone. I have signed out, cleaned (cookies thing), and I even removed all download of my phone and now I can do anything with internet. Should I clean my PC songs too? Did the change of plan mess this up? 

Hey @Cgaglianone,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared. 

To answer your question, the change in subscription plan doesn't affect your downloads or the limits you have to download content in the app. As mentioned before, keep in mind that you can download as many as 10,000 songs on each of up to 5 different devices.

That being said, if you have already removed the downloads from some of your devices and you didn't notice any difference, you can also contact our Customer Support team, so they can help you to remove all the offline devices from your account as well. You can find out how to contact them here.

Lastly, you can also try by removing the downloads of your computer. If you want to delete your downloads from the desktop app, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the app.
  2. On the left bar, you can see the playlists you have downloaded. They have a green arrow, right next to its names.
  3. Open your Library. This same green arrow is visible on each downloaded playlist from the library view.
  4. Open each downloaded playlist and tap the green arrow at the top.

This way, you can remove the downloaded playlist from the desktop app. You can also run a clean reinstall of the app on your computer, so the offline music will be removed.

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

AlejaRModerator

Não consigo fazer download de musicas pois fala que atingi o limite de dispositivos, mas só estou usando meu celular atualmente.

I wiped my device but didn't realise I had to remove the device from spotify before I did that. Now its not letting me add my device for offline files as I have theoretically reached the maximum. What can I do

Me dise la aplicación que alcanse el máximo de descargas en dispositivo entonces quiero descargar en mi nuevo dispositivo pero no sé puede

Contacted Customer Support team directly, started with bots answers but you have to stay answering until it gets to an actual agent and you have to mention to them about deleting your downloads on your other devices and they will solve it within a minute. Worked to me.

I get a message when opening the app in Android that I don't have any more offline devices available (or something similar). How do I manage and remove offline devices?

Suggested posts