How finishing songs and/or switching playlists influences recommendations

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

iPhone, MacBook

My Question or Issue

I know skipping before 30 seconds counts as a 'thumbs down'. But I was wondering (in order to further optimise recommendations):

- Is skipping before 30 seconds the same as playing a new playlist before a song hits 30 seconds? (in both cases I am interrupting playback before 30 secs.). Sometimes I want to change playlists, without marking down a song.

- Is playing a song longer than 30 seconds the same as listening to the entire song? Or is actually finishing a song an 'extra' thumbs up?

- If I want to skip a song without marking it down, can I manually fast forward past the 30 second mark and then skip? I would effectively listen for 3 seconds, but the skip would be past the 30 seconds mark.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2 Replies

Hi @red_robin

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Streams are counted in Spotify when a song is streamed for over 30 seconds. 

If you're referring to the "Made for you" playlists, keep in mind that only skipping the song before the 30 seconds doesn't mean that you don't like it or that you don't want the app to recommend you similar songs in the future. 

If you don't like a song you can click on the "Hide this song" icon on the desktop app or choosing this option in your phone's app tapping on the 3 dots next to the song. 

Additionally, the account recommendations are based on the listening history. However, you can improve the recommendations by liking or disliking the songs.

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks,

but you have not answered my question at all unfortunately. 

I know about the 30 second mark. But I had questions about some very specific situations, wondering how that 30 second rule applies in those situations. 

Suggested posts