Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to change the country specific recommendations

Solved!

How to change the country specific recommendations

Ok, so I am English but live in Portugal, currently using Spotify free.

Spotify seems to think thatbecause I live in Portugal I want playlist recommendations, elbums, discover etc of the Portugeuse market.

I don't.  I want English recommendations,as do the millions of other English users that live in countries outside thier home country.

Is it possible to change this?

The one good thing is that all of the crapy Portuguese advertising is totallyt wasted on me.

Also why won't the darn thing remember my log in details every time I log out? (I just use the Windows 8.1 app.

105 Replies

Same problem here! I’m Brazilian, English speaker but living in Sweden, so I would love to have access to Brazilian playlists and English speaking podcasts, but all I get is Swedish stuff!!

p.s.: I use Spotify premium, this could be at very least a premium feature...

Same for me. I'm spanish and I live in spain, but the fact that the most of spaniards love horrible music don't implies that everyone in this country like thtat kind of **bleep**... Please Spotify, stop fu**ing me with those awful lists, I hate latin music, I can't deal with those horrible rithms and is terrible to open spotify and see latin music lists everywhere... I'm even considering change my music subscription service because of that...

I've been a premium user for several years now. I used to like Spotify because it allowed me to find new music that I might like. And It really presented some music that I liked.
But in the last half year it began to offer music I would not listen even if I was paid for. Music that I consider disgusting... a torture. Like reagueton and most of latin music. 
I really like to listen english music even though I live in Argentina.
I know that weekly there are songs released that I like. But I am getting the news about it through other media. Not Spotify. So the beautiful option coming every friday presenting new music suddenly became a nightmare.

And listening to the same old music is becoming boring.

Again, I've became premium user because I wanted to pay for the music that I liked so the artists receive their share. 
But lately I AM considering stop paying. This is not what I want.

I'm Brazilian, living in Brazil, but I absolutely HATE the recommendations and browse options. I prefer English rock, indie and others. Brazilian music is VERY broad, but they seem to try and push what I consider to be trash music, such as "sertanejo" (Brazilian country), "funk" and so forth. It is mindblowing to see how poorply Spotify's algorithm works.

I have same problem. Have you (Spotify) even tried to do something about this problem? Its not very good customer service to not listen your paying customers wishes or even ignore them. Since you are now listed company, might be bad for your stock price if this kind of long-term problems spread in news.

Please fix it. 

We need more momentum in this thread to get their eyes on it. Thanks for contributing.

I think fastest way is to spread it to news media. When their stock price crashes because of angry customers, bad customer service and long-term problems not fixed it takes less than a minute and its fixed.

To get more momentum and audience this could be posted and polled in Reddit, if others issue similar problems.

I am Catalan and I receive awful Latin music recommendations the whole f**king time. 

PLEASE SPOTIFY STOP TORTURING ME WITH THESE SHITTY MUSIC!

I'll give a try to Apple Music instead. 

Fix this spotify. We pay you money. We don't want suggestions from where we live, that's getting closer to racism. We would like to choose that like on Youtube settings.

I would like to add a +1 to the requests in this thread. 

It's about time recommendations under Browse and Discover could be switched by a setting and not default to the IP or the signed-up country (ads are fine btw..).

Especially for users who are paying for a Premium subscription, they should define their native musical taste and not be subjected to the country they are living in.

Same here thing here, I really don't enjoy the most popular brazilian music and almost all sugestions show me this.

I would certainly buy the Premium option if it would be possible to change your location. I was always using Spotify to find a new music. Now as they made Spotify Poland there is the same **bleep** music as in radio. I hate it. 

Same problem here! I have a premium account and there is no option to change the country/language of the reccommended songs! 

It is very annoying. A feature which should be really simple to add.

HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SPOTIFY NOTICE THIS IS SOMETHING THAT MATTERS!!!???

Maybe the time is not the answer, maybe a disruptive developer, who actually cares on their users (customers) will give us the reply we all are looking for... #listenyourcustomers

I I live in Brazil. It really is a pain in the **bleep** the suggestions of Brazilian music! Maas by the way ... Spotify does not care about the complaints of its users ... I think it's time to start migrating to the competitors. Who knows, they will not listen to us.

Spotify Premium user here and I must say that living in Spain and hating with my guts the opening screen, "browse" (littered with latin music playlists), I find myself in an awkward position to say the least. It's the ever showing side of technology: imposed features instead of opted-in... Absolutely nothing democratic about this.

Oh so much this!

I live in Japan and I absolutely detest J-POP and similar...

Same problem... I'm British but live in Thailand. I want all UK based recommendations. Thai music is not for me... Come on Spotify  millions of us live abroad. This is such an obvious feature - live in one place, see recommendations for another. 

Same problem for me. I live in Italy and I get suggestions for music I wouldn't dream of listening to. This needs fixing.

Wow! The problem was issued in 2014 and in 2018 I still can't change the fact that the recommended music is in german...C000000L App =)))))))))))))) 

Suggested posts